Questions About A Good Pulse Induction System For Relic Hunting

Hi everybody, this is Dave, I've been dabbling in metal detecting about 8 years now. Most of my experience is with PI units specially Lorenz (X6 and older models) for relic objects. Unfortunately, my X6 got serious damage and it is useless now.

I am considering a Pulse Star II pro unit; my needs are for a PI unit that can detect a 25*25 cm (9inch by 9inch) object in the range of 2.5 m to 3 m (8 to 10 feet).

Because of limited budget (under 3000$), and technical features I did choose Pulse Star ii Pro, but I could not find enough reviews on the unit.

It would be great help if I can have your experience and feedback on it. Is it reliable? Robust? Can it meet my expectations (8 to 10 feet depth)?

Also, do you suggest another PI unit in same budget?

Appreciate your help very much. Good luck for you all.

This guy knows what he is doing,, and has experience with deep units...,PI..you can see the practical effects on his mineralized terrain in this test...

A target with a square size of 25 cm.. at a depth of 2 meters, even in easy terrain, will be an  difficult target...

Thank you Steve for your response and warm welcome. I get a good vibe from this forum. 

And, thank you El Nino, video was great help, field test of unit is good insight, and the guy, as you said, knows stuff. 

mater of fact, I was thinking to use two 8m (26 ft) cable loop of Pulse Star, and join them with a Y connector over the 2m (80") frame to reach max depth. I did this with Lorenz universal cables. But, I don't know in this unit i will yield any good and reasonable results. I'm afraid that Pulse star would not work properly. I would like to have you guys opinion on the subject. 

thank a lot. 

On 12/23/2023 at 6:51 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Welcome to the forum. I’d say your chances of detecting a 9” x 9” target at 8-10 feet are approximately zero. Half that if you are lucky.

Dear Steve, i did check your comments on Sajuu's question and posts. it was great guidance and really shows the years of experience and wisdom, thank for putting the link. 

I did have some experience with White's XLT and spectrum but i didn't know about TM808. it was interesting. My target is chests, cashes and hoards, therefor I am looking for a device that can detect big objects (5 Gal.) in depth (around 10 feet). Also, I am big fan of pulse induction units and their reliability. Based on these do you have a robust and reliable unit in mind? 

Appreciate your input and help. Good luck to all. 

My only familiarity with large deepseeking PI are machines like the Minelab PI series with large coils. They are about as good as it gets for fist size and smaller targets, especially in mineralized ground, and certainly do well on even larger targets. That is why they are used worldwide for objects in that size class. There are other PI options with oversize coils like the Pulse Star for hunting targets that are larger than fist size, but part of wisdom is knowing what I don’t know, and I’ve not personally used those devices and so will decline to comment much on them. My main advice is scams and fantastic claims abound in the industry, and were it me, I’d stick with whatever the most popular devices are in widespread use, and avoid anything obscure.

I have used the Gemini 3 back in my surveying days and it could easily locate water mains and large pipes at great depths, but that is the limit of my experience there. Devices like it and the TM-808 are at least reliable and affordable, and in low mineral ground would be my option. High mineral ground however calls for PI, so be patient and keep researching. More answers will probably appear here after the holidays.

Geotech is an excellent source of trusted information.

Minelab GPX 5000 with 3 foot coil mounted on push cart:

gpx-mothership-cart.jpg

On 12/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

My only familiarity with large deepseeking PI are machines like the Minelab PI series with large coils. They are about as good as it gets for fist size and smaller targets, especially in mineralized ground, and certainly do well on even larger targets. That is why they are used worldwide for objects in that size class. There are other PI options with oversize coils like the Pulse Star for hunting targets that are larger than fist size, but part of wisdom is knowing what I don’t know, and I’ve not personally used those devices and so will decline to comment much on them. My main advice is scams and fantastic claims abound in the industry, and were it me, I’d stick with whatever the most popular devices are in widespread use, and avoid anything obscure.

I have used the Gemini 3 back in my surveying days and it could easily locate water mains and large pipes at great depths, but that is the limit of my experience there. Devices like it and the TM-808 are at least reliable and affordable, and in low mineral ground would be my option. High mineral ground however calls for PI, so be patient and keep researching. More answers will probably appear here after the holidays.

Geotech is an excellent source of trusted information.

Minelab GPX 5000 with 3 foot coil mounted on push cart:

gpx-mothership-cart.jpg

Thanks Steve, it is great to have experienced people's insight. I appreciate greatly. I'll keep on gathering more info. 

Good luck to all. Happy holidays.  

On 12/24/2023 at 7:09 PM, Dave_66 said:

Thank you Steve for your response and warm welcome. I get a good vibe from this forum. 

And, thank you El Nino, video was great help, field test of unit is good insight, and the guy, as you said, knows stuff. 

mater of fact, I was thinking to use two 8m (26 ft) cable loop of Pulse Star, and join them with a Y connector over the 2m (80") frame to reach max depth. I did this with Lorenz universal cables. But, I don't know in this unit i will yield any good and reasonable results. I'm afraid that Pulse star would not work properly. I would like to have you guys opinion on the subject. 

thank a lot. 

Putting in a second coil doesn't add depth, it just helps with electromagnetic interference. the target and depth you gave as an example is just an elusive dream for any metal detector. I have used several pulse detectors, the best and most reliable under normal survey conditions in my opinion is the minelab gpx 4000-5000 series with proper coil setup.