White's Tdi Sl Ground Balance With Philmore S38 Vernier Dial. Great On Hot Ground.

An often performed modification on the Tdi sl or SPP machines is the inclusion of the Philmore S38 vernier dial. Since I often loan my Tdi Sl machines to family or friends I felt it was kinder to install the vernier dial as the original Whites setup was very frustrating in hot ground. Very fussy to say the least.  My technique was to simply set up the dial so it starts a zero and does not confuse inexperienced users.  Adjustments start at six all the way up, hot ground is usually around 8 or 8.5 for example. Instead of a permanent installation it is fully reversible and very temporary. So for the beach or less challenging ground I leave the factory set up as is. When prospecting simply pull the White's knob off and install the Philmore vernier dial. Brace it using a very firm foam so it doesn't move etc. The foam is a tight fit and holds the vernier dial in place stopping from rotating. The dial is smooth and covers the required ground balance window encountered in the goldfields. It does not turn the Tdi Sl into a Tdi Pro, but it makes ground balancing quick and easy. 

The photos tell the story, again it works well and is fully reversible. I only use it when out on the goldfields and then remove it for beach work etc. All the best.

no5.jpg

no4.jpg

no3.jpg

no2.jpg

• Like 4

Yup...I've got vernier dials on both Threshold, and GB. But I liked a different control. I prefer the ones from Max Gain Systems. Mine are 6:1. I sold the kits for awhile. Still think I have one left somewhere in the mess...LOL

P5310006.JPG

P5310007.JPG

P5310008.JPG

• Like 3

A very interesting idea and must admit i may do this setup on my TDI Pro during the year.....will this work on the Pro version or just the SL version ??

For ground adjustment it only make sense on the Tdi Sl which has a single turn ground balance knob. The vernier dial allows changes the ratio making fine tuning easier. The Tdi Pro ground balance already has a coarse and fine dial, two dials. Adding a vernier dial to the Tdi Pro threshold would on the other hand be an interesting addition. All the best.

• Like 1