Mf Machines On Mineralized Black Sand Salt Beach. Update 4/8 Legend, Manticore, Nox 900.

I wish I could let you try the Rutus Versa in your conditions. It handles mineralization extremely well & the conductive subtraction W multi is very stable & effective. It is available in all modes, not just Beach. The neat adjustments that  it has that I suspect would be a help to you are the Tone length control(separate from Reaction) and Dual modes.  Your conditions would be a very good test environment for the unit. Your experience & knowledge would give valuable insight.  @EL NINO77may know if anyone is using the Versa on the beach.

I will have to go back and re read this whole topic, but have you given thought to trying the Manticore?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JCR said:

I will have to go back and re read this whole topic, but have you given thought to trying the Manticore?

We have had the Manticore here and my friend was supposed to be here but has been busy. Last year it had done well but the black sand conditions were better, with any luck it will be here in three weeks. 

• Like 2

Has anyone who knows the Tarsacci MDT 8000 ever run one on your sites?

• Like 1

What was your opinion of it’s capabilities there.

2 hours ago, JCR said:

What was your opinion of it’s capabilities there.

I liked it......But could not get past the iron-wrap around. Here in Mexico there are bi-metal coins and the Tarsacci would throw those into the positive end of discrimination. 

Also, while it handled Black sand good. I could not hunt past 9kHz in Black Sand. I thought this was a handicap for gold. 

If not for the Iron-wraparound on these particular coins. Might have kept it.    

• Like 2

Dave - how high up the scale did the Tarsacci throw those coins?  I ask because there is a way you can adjust Disc on the Tarsacci that covers the whole ferrous range and notches out 3 or 4 points of the high wraparound region (e.g., if you set Disc to 28, then all negative (ferrous) ID'S are disc'd and also 26 to 30 (Max ID on the Scale).  Just wondering if you used that feature, but still found it to be ineffective.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Dave - how high up the scale did the Tarsacci throw those coins?  I ask because there is a way you can adjust Disc on the Tarsacci that covers the whole ferrous range and notches out 3 or 4 points of the high wraparound region (e.g., if you set Disc to 28, then all negative (ferrous) ID'S are disc'd and also 26 to 30 (Max ID on the Scale).  Just wondering if you used that feature, but still found it to be ineffective.

Ugh, memory.   I think the wrap-around number was 24-26 depending on coin condition.  I did not use any Disc. [I think]  What was more disheartening was the frequency. Anything over 9kHz had to be throttled way back due to the Black Sand here. Depth performance was affected. 

My friend was here running the MDT. I just pulled a gold chain with the Equinox. The MDT could not even hear the chain laying on the surface.  That did it for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:17 PM, midalake said:

Agreed Bill. I tend not to try and fix things that are not broken or where I have confidence.  I am lacking that confidence on fringe nonferrous targets with the D2 in Black Sand. Going to experiment some more, and even test your friends' settings. 

I honestly think that you are just more confident and proficient with your Equinox.  Nothing wrong with that.  I've used a lot of detectors over the years and some, despite being good machines, just don't work for me.  I remember when I had my V3i, which is a marvelous detector in the right hands.  My brain just never got that detector and i really hated it.  I kept trying to love it and it never worked.   The Deus II may be that sort of detector for you.  My reason for wanting one is that on our beaches out here, black sand or not, in the water or not, an Equinox simply cannot beat a Deus II.  My buddy Frank has hit pieces of gold earrings and chains in the wet sand with his Deus II that I can't hear at all with my Equinox.  That's proof enough for me.

Now you watch, I'll finally get a Deus II and I'll end up hating it!  Would be just my luck!

My advice?  Get rid of the Deus II, stop all of this testing and just have fun and hunt with your Equinox.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:06 PM, midalake said:

Ugh, memory.   I think the wrap-around number was 24-26 depending on coin condition.  I did not use any Disc. [I think]  What was more disheartening was the frequency. Anything over 9kHz had to be throttled way back due to the Black Sand here. Depth performance was affected. 

My friend was here running the MDT. I just pulled a gold chain with the Equinox. The MDT could not even hear the chain laying on the surface.  That did it for me. 

Yeah, it's a moot point now if it was impossible to operate over 9 khz.  But for the sake of discussion, you could have set disc to 25 or 26 and those wraparound coins would have been muted from the non-ferrous tones.  All non-ferrous, ferrous and the notched ferrous would still be audible as All Metal tones but only non-ferrous would be audible as undiscriminated "ting" tones.  Using mixed mode audio would allow you to simultaneously hear all the non-ferrous "ting" tones and the non-ferrous/ferrous AM tones (which are fully distinguishable from the non-discriminated "tings").  A ferrous target (including wraparound with the notch set as above) will only have the AM sound and non-ferrous will have the AM sound and a slightly delayed non-discriminated "ting".  It's a powerful implementation that I used successfully in hot dirt.  The only issue is if you care about any non-ferrous targets that might show up in the notched IDs.

My only issue with Tarsacci was that the TIDs were very jumpy, so it was hard to get a handle on just what the non-ferrous target was.  In hot dirt, I was digging all non-ferrous anyway, so it was a non-issue.  But it was not a machine I was going to use amongst a lot of non-ferrous trash.  I would be digging it all.  No Thanks.  It excels primarily as a beach or hot dirt relic machine.  Otherwise, there are better options out there and highly versatile machines like Manticore and Deus 2 and to a lesser extent Equinox and Legend that are almost as good as the Tarsacci under those specific conditions.

• Like 3