Rcdigs Deus 2 Rc Mount Review

Thanks for the review, it looks like Sammy approves!

I'll just ad that Steve G is teaming up with RCDIGS to bring us a model that screws right into Steve's Deus 2 shaft. He just posted it on his FB page, check it out. It looks like it will be available in L, R, & Straight options plus have the ability to run the antenna wire through the remote holder. 

417405801_889467766298789_7172751863222242461_n.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brad Plohman said:

Thanks for the review, it looks like Sammy approves!

I'll just ad that Steve G is teaming up with RCDIGS to bring us a model that screws right into Steve's Deus 2 shaft. He just posted it on his FB page, check it out. It looks like it will be available in L, R, & Straight options plus have the ability to run the antenna wire through the remote holder. 

417405801_889467766298789_7172751863222242461_n.jpg

Thanks Brad. 🙂 I'm aware of this, but glad one of the true testers let the cat out of the bag 😁 thanks for the photo! I'm excited to get one for that rig.

I'm thinking the RCDIGS mount is going to be a winner for the SCUBA folks, actually thought of you and @Skull diver, with either shaft you have.

Yeah, that's the thing, and maybe the manufacturer will improve the stock shaft design, This remote mount is going to be especially good for those that just need to rinse it off when done.

Most "rural engineers" have found methods of installing the waveguide so that it can go up through the shaft including me, you can't avoid zip ties on the coil to mitigate snagging. Tons of stuff to snag on the bottom I'm sure! That mount could also eliminate the top waveguide hole on the SteveG rig.

My only concern is having to take the RC out at the end of the day relic and dry beach hunting, the captive screws and brass inserts could be more robust and spares would be a necessity, not to mention some good stainless mount screws included with the stock shaft model. I can't imagine what salt environment will do to the hardware even as it is, but I see WD-40 in our future 🧙‍♂️ Galvanic Corrosion is real.

It's a shock to have to go out and buy extra stuff, even a 1/16" or sightly larger drill bit if you're not a tool guy 😎 I had a box of stainless screws left over from a boat rebuild years ago.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think of this unit?   

XP Deus 2 locking shoe (detectingdoodads.com)

I dont have a D2 yet, but slowly assembling accessory ideas.

I have it already.

I can't say anything against its use but my remote still continues to fall away when I hit it and I'm next to try this solution posted uphere.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think of this unit?   

XP Deus 2 locking shoe (detectingdoodads.com)

I dont have a D2 yet, but slowly assembling accessory ideas.

36 minutes ago, Brad Plohman said:

Here's mine. Other's may have had a different experience...

413357168_903543924393554_2971248350081689430_n.jpg

While I like some of DD's products (the XP compatible headphones he sells are great as well as some of the other 3D printed accessories) there are two issues in play here. 

First, the XP design of the mount is fundamentally flawed because the objective to provide a mount that enables quick attachment and removal of the remote also results in high stress concentrations that cause the mount to gradually lose its ability to maintain a secure grip on the remote and eventually results in mount failure regardless of the material used (but some 3D printed materials are especially ill suited for this application - see Brad's pic). 

Second, applying bandaids such as locking levers, lanyards etc. to address the degrading secure grip issues don't really reduce the cyclic stresses (from constantly mounting and removing the remote for charging/storage etc.) that eventually causes failure (though some of these bandaids may reduce the number of "unnecessary" re-mounts resulting from the remote simply falling off the mount after being bumped while detecting).  

The real solution is to move completely away from the design altogether, and that's what the RC Digs cage accomplishes for a cost not much higher than purchasing a replacement XP or third party version of the original design (and certainly lower than multiple XP mount replacements over the lifetime of the rig).  I like the RC Digs design, but have yet to put it through its paces.  You lose the quick removal capability, but taking an extra 30 seconds to undo two thumbscrews for mount security and longevity is a small price to pay.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Skull diver said:

I have it already.

I can't say anything against its use but my remote still continues to fall away when I hit it and I'm next to try this solution posted uphere.

This RC Digs cage is exactly what you need for diving.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

with either shaft you have.

Since a few months I have the red locking shoe on an Anderson dive shaft..

Still looking for a damn stable mount like the black one uphere.

There's no way to keep the remote there on the shaft and the shape problem will be never solved if not excluding the original mount in the system.

• Like 4