Man Do I Feel Stupid

How many out there have done something that just made you shake your head and think to yourself how freakin stupid can you be, well I can tell you I sure have LOL and yesterday was one of those days.

Went out detecting for a bit to relax my mind yesterday morning and to get some more time on the Axiom drove out to a spot about 5 miles from my house, put my gloves on pick in hand and going up a wash swinging away enjoying the great out doors, get a very faint target so I get down and start going to town with my pick, move about an two inches of dirt, swing the Axiom over the spot again target still in the ground dig a little more, still a faint target but keeps getting a bit louder the deeper i dig pull another couple of inches of dirt out of the spot and the target is gone so I am thinking ok I have it out of the ground after digging down around 4-5 inches, start scooping up dirt in my plastic scoop third scoop Axiom is screaming, I am scratching my head because it was not that loud in the ground even after I had dug down at around 2-3 inches it was just a faint target, but in the scoop its screaming start doing the half in the hand and other half in the scoop across the coil, still screaming transfer half to my hand again and half in the scoop again still screaming in the scoop nothing on the half that was in my right hand, look in the scoop a bit and I see nothing, but the Axiom was screaming when I would slide my scoop over the Axiom coil so I look in the scoop again still screaming I am thinking as loud as the axiom is screaming there has to be a big honking nugget or piece of metal in my scoop, still nothing I am perplexed to say the least and standing there in bewilderment because every time I slid the scoop across the Axiom coil it would scream, run the magnet into the dirt that in the scoop nothing, started getting these thoughts in my head there is something wrong with the Axiom or the coil, after about an hour of going through the same ritual dirt in scoop across the coil and listening to the Axiom scream, it finally dawned on me I was sliding the scoop across the Axiom coil using my left hand, on my Left hand I wear a pretty good size wedding ring which I did not notice because I had gloves on, and that is what the Axiom was picking up 

Oh the faint target was a pretty small piece of scrap wire

There is my dumb stunt for the day give me some of your dumb stunts.   

I had a similar experience to you.  First time out with the AQ on the beach.  Dug a few tent stakes thinking I was actually figuring out the new machine.  Dug a crusty penny and suddenly the machine was acting strange.  Every time I swung the coil from right to left the machine would signal a target.  When I went from left to right, nothing.  I changed settings, but nothing could change the machine.  I started to think that the machine was defective and that I would have to send it back to Fisher.  So I turn off the AQ and head back to the beach condo to get another machine.  Since it was a little cold and breezy I left the headphones on for warmth.  Once I got back into the room I took the headphones off and realized that I did not turn off my pinpointer after I dug the last target.  Since my pouch was on my left hip, every time I swung to the left it detected the pinpointer.  As Gilda Radner said "Never Mind."

…or when you can’t figure out why a target is still there under a bush when you dig and dig and dig, only to notice then that there’s a little bit of wire tucked away up inside the branches of the bush?

All of the above, plus forgetting about the titanium in my shoulder when trying to pinpoint while kneeling. How many of you waste time trying to find your detector when you walk back to the truck for a break or wander over to check out what your partner is digging?

I drove 90 minutes to a swim area that had the water completely drained out. I get there all giddy, then realized I forgot my detector! The stupidest thing about it, is I had it sitting near my front door to make sure I wouldn't forget it! I was just so excited about that hunt, that my head was in la la land as I practically ran out the front door.

Since then, I always make a list for my long drive hunts. Especially for my in water hunts that require a lot more gear than dirt hunting. Even for short drive hunts, I go through a mental checklist now.

I've driven a couple of hours to get to gold detecting spots a number of times over the years only to unload my stuff and find something missing, either my gold bottle which is a disaster when you only mostly find very tiny gold so now I have gold bottles stashed everywhere just in case, my scoop which I can survive without with great difficulty, or more commonly my pick as I keep it out in the garage not with my detecting stuff (bosses orders) so needless to say I have a few extra picks not ideal for prospecting that I've bought at nearby hardware stores due to this.

I dug a potentially explosive cannonball yesterday. 💀