Tekkna For The Deus 2, First Impression (updated 3)

6 minutes ago, JCR said:

I want to have the ability to set a machine up to hunt the conditions I have. I don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

That's pretty much why I use my modified Relic program more than anything. 🙂 Kettle fragments, plow shares, even big stuff like axe heads and mauls are everywhere. Horse and ox shoes too. 😬 Also an abundance of hard-forged nails. This site has lots of steel junk, brass, and aluminum as well as iron.

I've tried all the programs in pitch, but find for myself that full tones in high square is best as it allows for some audible identification of aluminum.

• Like 3

Loaded the tekkna program last week and used it on two separate hunts at the same site.  I have pounded this site with the nox (6” and 11” coils) and when I got my first D2 I frequented it again many times.  Last week after work I thought it would be a good place to try out tekkna.  This area is public land where a house used to sit.  It’s approximately 70’ x 120’.  I’ve pulled many coins and a silver ring out of there in past hunts.  Some areas of it are loaded with iron which consists mostly of nails and other areas of this site are fairly clean.  So on the trial run with tekkna (exact settings as Gary listed), I hit three wheats and an indian head penny!   I only have a pic of the ihp from that day, but I do have pics of all of yesterday’s non-ferrous finds. This all with the 13x11 coil!   Now I did dig some nails because of this place being hit so many times, I dig questionable signals, however the coins were pretty decent signals.  

IMG_4529.jpeg

IMG_4530.jpeg

IMG_4527.jpeg

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

This all with the 13x11 coil!

Hey NC,

Nice bit of pickin' there. 👍

Cool you were able to do that with the 13x11", when there's a tremendous amount of junk and nails, the big coil tends to down average, as does the 11", but you can still get great separation in the center. 🙂 I'm sure you've heard the "triple tap" from side to center to side on a single small object in a clear spot. 

When there is dense stuff, the 9" coil sees quite a bit less ground, so it should sniff out even more. I've found I can lower reactivity to 2, I hear a lot more stuff, but you can go higher for the trashy shallow mix.

Despite any complaints I might have about Tekkna, it's definitely a great tool. You do have to force yourself not to dig anything that isn't repeatable in all directions, but if something gives you 50% or more good tones it could be worth a look.

I can pretty much do the same thing with Relic but the extreme sounds are much easier to take with Tekkna.

Did you find you had to lower iron volume? I'm down to 6 or 7 now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Hey NC,

Nice bit of pickin' there. 👍

Cool you were able to do that with the 13x11", when there's a tremendous amount of junk and nails, the big coil tends to down average, as does the 11", but you can still get great separation in the center. 🙂 I'm sure you've heard the "triple tap" from side to center to side on a single small object in a clear spot. 

When there is dense stuff, the 9" coil sees quite a bit less ground, so it should sniff out even more. I've found I can lower reactivity to 2, I hear a lot more stuff, but you can go higher for the trashy shallow mix.

Despite any complaints I might have about Tekkna, it's definitely a great tool. You do have to force yourself not to dig anything that isn't repeatable in all directions, but if something gives you 50% or more good tones it could be worth a look.

I can pretty much do the same thing with Relic but the extreme sounds are much easier to take with Tekkna.

Did you find you had to lower iron volume? I'm down to 6 or 7 now.

Yes, I did lower the iron volume.  I had forgotten about that.  It got a little annoying at time when at 10.  I think I put it down to 7.  

Even though I’ve hit that site many times with the 9” coil, there are instances where a larger coil will unmask a target when the smaller one won’t.  And vice versa. It depends on the distance between the good target and the junk target and the width of the coil.  I learned this from one of Loren Lemke’s (not sure if I’ve spelled his name correctly) videos.  Eventually I’ll get out there with the 9” and the tekkna program and see if anything else pops up.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Yes, I did lower the iron volume.  I had forgotten about that.  It got a little annoying at time when at 10.  I think I put it down to 7.  

Even though I’ve hit that site many times with the 9” coil, there are instances where a larger coil will unmask a target when the smaller one won’t.  And vice versa. It depends on the distance between the good target and the junk target and the width of the coil.  I learned this from one of Loren Lemke’s (not sure if I’ve spelled his name correctly) videos.  Eventually I’ll get out there with the 9” and the tekkna program and see if anything else pops up.  

Your field results speak for themselves .. Looking fwd to your next outing and the 9"  Tekkna ..

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:40 AM, UKD2User said:

I'd strongly argue that filters like Silencer reduce unmasking capability in iron.

Silencer is only supposed to reduce falsing, isn't it? 

On 3/16/2024 at 2:17 PM, Gary XP said:

Great review, thanks for your feedback 🤝👍

Gary,

I don't think I've heard how you came to hear about Tekkna.  You are certainly the one that has made it a household word but who put it together?

Also, (and more importantly) do you know why discrim was set to 42, and not 41 or 43 or some other number?

On 3/17/2024 at 12:30 PM, F350Platinum said:

@simsa

Where can we find the settings for Jack Fast?

Thank you for posting these videos. 👍

[deleted]

9 hours ago, iron_buzz said:

Silencer is only supposed to reduce falsing, isn't it? 

There's a big difference between falsing and (un)masking.

1) Falsing = iron sounding better than it should (usually because of size/shape/holes/corners/rust).

2) Masking = iron making an adjacent nonferrous target sound worse than it should.

Increasing Silencer will move the decision-point towards iron in both the above types of situation. Silencer will help to reduce falsing but effectively increase masking (a trade-off as per usual). I nearly always use Silencer=0 and use other methods to spot falsing.

• Like 3