Tekkna For The Deus 2, First Impression (updated 3)

10 hours ago, iron_buzz said:

Gary,

I don't think I've heard how you came to hear about Tekkna.  You are certainly the one that has made it a household word but who put it together?

Also, (and more importantly) do you know why discrim was set to 42, and not 41 or 43 or some other number?

I'm not Gary (😎😁) - and I'm sure he can/will speak for himself(!) - but I think it's interesting that if you look at PaystreakSuperfreaks recent YT videos he shows his 'VCO' program which he uses with Disc at 44. Paystreak has clay soil with a lot of iron mineralisation in it - probably a lot more than in most of our soils here in southern England, he also seems to hunt in parks with loads of modern trash and a fair amount of EMI (you could imagine he would want to give his ears an easier time!). He says he uses it as a way to ignore most of the foil and other nuisance signals as a first pass - he then goes back using more 'conventional' Disc settings to find the stuff he missed the first time (ie 'cherrypicking' as I said upthread).

Basically, I don't think there's any magic in a specific Disc number - just a choice based on experience and local conditions (just like everything else in detecting!).

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, UKD2User said:

I'm not Gary (😎😁) - and I'm sure he can/will speak for himself(!) - but I think it's interesting that if you look at PaystreakSuperfreaks recent YT videos he show his 'VCO' program which he uses with Disc at 44. Paystreak has clay soil with a lot of iron mineralisation in it - probably a lot more than in most of our soils here in southern England, he also seems to hunt in parks with loads of modern trash and a fair amount of EMI (you could imagine he would want to give his ears an easier time!). He says he uses it as a way to ignore most of the foil and other nuisance signals as a first pass - he then goes back using more 'conventional' Disc settings to find the stuff he missed the first time (ie 'cherrypicking' as I said upthread).

Basically, I don't think there's any magic in a specific Disc number - just a choice based on experience and local conditions (just like everything else in detecting!).

Y'all may not believe this, but something clicked on the number "42" for me, I looked it up and I was right. 🤣

Remember the Douglas Adams series:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything...

Is 42.

Take it or leave it. 😏 

download(31).jpeg.78357e60be48a1f1943ee8a16da9a655.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Y'all may not believe this, but something clicked on the number "42" for me, I looked it up and I was right. 🤣

Remember the Douglas Adams series:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything...

Is 42.

Take it or leave it. 😏 

download(31).jpeg.78357e60be48a1f1943ee8a16da9a655.jpeg

The meaning of life - because beer was 42 pence a pint at that time. It's about six hundred pence a pint (in a pub anyway) these days....

• Haha 1

I seriously wouldn't put it past those guys. 😁

I wonder what I win? 🤔

• Haha 1

I am bothered by shotgun caps and nickel bullet heads how will it do on those ?

1 minute ago, brys said:

I am bothered by shotgun caps and nickel bullet heads how will it do on those ?

It will find every single one. 🫤

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Zord said:

Tekkna vs Goldfield

Not sure the point he was trying to make, if any.  The IDs were basically the same for both programs on the identical targets (I took notes as the video played and did repeated viewings to get it all down).  The audio was more expressive with Goldfield which is not unexpected and one of the reasons I prefer pitch audio over full tones and multi-tones in general.

No idea how mineralized his ground is because he went with big numbers so the mineralization bar graph was not visible during swings.  Also, screen glare made it hard to see his program settings, but I am not disputing that he had the programs set up properly.

Tekkna is for high iron polluted ground to enable non-ferrous to bleed through.  I do fine with Relic which is similar to gold field just a different upper frequency.  Again, all he demonstrated was that Gold Field had better target audio, but if the detector is falsing on certain iron bits, those will sound good too and then things can get very audibly busy.  I primarily hunt with relic but will use Tekkna or other FT programs for target interrogation or a change of pace.  I never fear that Tekkna will mask micro targets.  At 40 khz it does have depth limitations which are no different than GF.

The super hard small gold targets (small, on-edge) ID'd as 00 with BOTH programs.  I did not see a case where the TID was signficantly altered by Tekkna vs. Goldfield, both were pretty unstable on those tough targets.  I certainly prefer the Goldfield Audio, especially if the ground is mild and relatively pollution free.  Of note, I saw no case where the target was actually filtered out by Tekkna - the ID was there and displayed similarly on both programs.  Full Tones presents some advantages over Goldfield/Relic pitch audio wrt to a level of audio TID and also can help with identification of trash non-ferrous (e.g., aluminum bits) that give a distorted sound vs. symmetric ring, button, coin targets. But I personally prefer the zip-zip pitch audio which leaves little doubt as to the presence of a target.

For Tekkna detractors, if Tekkna  doesn't work for you audibly, then just move on instead of arguing it masks micro gold and silver targets.  This video proved to me it doesn't. 

This is all a case of seeing what you want to see.

Detector test videos are increasingly becoming more prevalent as a means to push a particular agenda, vendetta, or underlying bias towards a particular point of view, I suppose because controversy generates views and subs.  There are still those who put it out there objectively but they get drowned out by all those wanting to attract views and objectivity is considered boring.  It's tiresome to wade through them, attempt to objectively interpret them and in many cases its just impossible.

I don't know if there was an agenda here or not, but it seems based on the YT site comments for this video it played into the Anti-Tekkna crowd's bias. 

Whatever the case, my interpretation again was that it didn't demonstrate Tekkna masking of micro gold or silver target IDs or audio, at least compared to Gold Field.

Please let me know if I missed the point of the video.

• Like 4

This test was only about IDs stability and audio comparison between two programs.

This test has nothing to do with masking micro gold and silver by Tekkna, ground wasn't polluted with iron and not so much mineralized.

With iron pollution and presence of micro gold an silver targets, things are getting worse. That is my experience with Tekkna.

Tekkna is useless in my iron infested sites and for my specific desired targets.

Well thanks Tekkna detractors, but move on, please. 🙄 

Y'all seen to think I'm promoting this as some sort of magic bullet, it's not - but it is very useful. You are going to dig non ferrous stuff that is junk, and if there is lots of junk, you will dig lots of junk. If you pay attention to the sounds, what you won't dig is iron.

I've tried the other programs posted here and they are far more useless than Tekkna. Blanking iron out completely is ridiculous, how do you know where you are?

"Unmasking" is a myth that only appears in air tests. Best you can hope for is separation. That's what Tekkna is all about. If you hear a persistent mid or high tone on iron, try to isolate it. Dig it if you hear it in all directions. Simple...

Gary Blackwell released a new video, and promises to post a version for the beach soon:

Love dogs but I don't think I'd let mine chew my MI-6. 😏

I have had great success with this program, it goes where Relic needs a rest. Personally I think the 9" coil is better suited to it the more dense the trash is, but I always have the 13" with me. YMMV.

Only a few more weeks until I have to give up farm hunting for 7 months 😢 but I'm looking forward to the beaches! I will probably take Beach Tekkna for a spin as soon as it comes out.

🍀 GL, HH.

• Like 2