Tekkna For The Deus 2, First Impression (updated 3)

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I will probably take Beach Tekkna for a spin as soon as it comes out.

Keep me posted.....I can share some new settings with you I have been using. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

......Unmasking" is a myth that only appears in air tests.....

This is the only thing I disagree with/understand differently. Adjacent iron does make a non-ferrous target look/sound worse (more ferrous) than it otherwise would. 'Masking' is the term I (and I believe the majority of other people who think about such things) use to describe this effect.

Whatever techniques you use, and whatever they're called, some will be better, and some will be worse at winkling out 'masked' non-ferrous targets in the ground.

Do we agree on the above?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, UKD2User said:

This is the only thing I disagree with/understand differently. Adjacent iron does make a non-ferrous target look/sound worse (more ferrous) than it otherwise would. 'Masking' is the term I (and I believe the majority of other people who think about such things) use to describe this effect.

Whatever techniques you use, and whatever they're called, some will be better, and some will be worse at winkling out 'masked' non-ferrous targets in the ground.

Do we agree on the above?

Yes. I think that some think they're going to find stuff directly under iron by discriminating the iron. I have seen that work but only in an air test with nails on top of a coin with an old Tesoro detector, the digital machines with DD coils simply don't do it. The Tesoro had a mono coil. I have never been able to repeat that "in the wild" 😅.

I agree with your assessment completely. I knew that I would ruffle some feathers, thanks for playing! 🙂

Coil size, whether larger than the target with iron surrounding it, or small enough to get between the iron, coupled with a certain response speed (reactivity, recovery) is what will win the day. If there is enough iron present it will overwhelm the coil, so technique comes into play. The Deus 2 goes to 7 reactivity, imagine using that! 🤯

But the higher response speed, the less depth. 😵

@NCtoad posted a video where it was speculated that a larger coil might be just as good. I'm not a fan of Mr. Lemke but he does make a point, and NC showed us some nice finds. 👍 I tried it, it did seem to hit deeper stuff which I expected it would, but it also did way more down averaging than the 9" did.

Air tests and even symmetric in-ground tests don't do much for me, try burying a silver dime and throw a handful of nails over it... 🤔 Which is about as real as you're going to get. 🫤

Seems to me the "witchcraft" of Tekkna comes from the forced conductor tone spread and reactivity.

I use 2 reactivity mostly but turn it up as high as 4 when things get crazy, knowing I'm going to get more shallow targets.

• Like 2

Working in Iron trash is not a straight forward task. There are multiple variables and endless combinations. There also seems to be differences in terminology. Separation seems pretty plain to me. It is a matter of distance/ coil/recovery & coil control. Masking is all that and more. No matter what you call it, desirable non ferrous targets are influenced by the relatively “fat” signature of co-located iron. The co- located positions can be same plane 2D (rare), or some degree of 3D (common).  They are both a matter of relative Signal response. The 3D factor is exponentially more crippling.  You certainly can’t see these co-located targets in the ground, but you can make an educated guess based on digging a fair number of the iffy signals and some of the obvious small iron/nail signals.    You can also successfully approach the site’s conditions by using techniques that are effective to some degree.   If you want to have success, read & look at what competent iron sifters do. They learn, they test. They know detecting basics and they know their individual detectors like an old companion. Then, they dig those iffy hits you may very well walk right over. They also dig that big & mid size iron to get it out of the way.

As far as “testing”,  it is invaluable to me. It is how I come to know a machine/coil’s capabilities and limitations.    Air/above ground tests are easy to setup and easy to visualize. They teach the basics plus things like down averaging of targets & audio signatures.    In ground tests are more realistic. The more mineralized your soil, the more important they are. Target up averaging may show itself. In ground test targets are harder to set up but not too much so. You can visualize them with a diagram. This is where the post graduate education begins.

Digging those iffy sounding compromised signals in the field, on your own sites, is the Internship that morphs into a career of being a successful hunter in the iron.   This is from a relic hunters point of view, but applies to any type of hunting if the site is worn out. Digging some iron does not shame me. I don’t keep target ratios. I do find some neat stuff that surprises me almost every hunt.   Tekkna, or any other specialty program can be great in the right circumstances, but they are special circumstances. I have used them myself.

Now, can anybody give me some tips on hunting in Aluminum trash?🙃

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, JCR said:

Now, can anybody give me some tips on hunting in Aluminum trash?🙃

I think I can give a top tip if you’re talking about beach hunting….you simply dig it!  🤣

Over the many years I’ve tried numerous ways to ignore it, discriminate it, and notch it in order to find the goodies hiding around it.  What I finally concluded is the most reliable way to ensure you get the goodies that are interspersed with aluminum trash is to dig it.  👍🏻😂😂

• Like 2

I know that is true, Sir. 👍   I actually find hunting in iron to be more logical. Al trash is just so all over the place. The darned older pull tabs will actually up average to a IHP range at times.  I have never hunted a saltwater environment, just inland. 

• Like 1

More Tekkna finds.  Yesterday I went to a different area of this park and first target was a nice low 60s and about 4-5” down was a silver bracelet.  This with the 13x11 coil. 

Went back this evening after work with the 9” coil and hit the same area that I hit the other day with the 13x11.  This spot is loaded with iron.   Again, I dug some nails, but pulled 4 more wheats and to my surprise a Japanese phoenix coin that is silver!   Three of the wheats and the silver were in a very polluted area within a few feet of each orher.  The phoenix coin came in slightly scratchy but with numbers in the low 90s and a decent two way 90 degree cross signal.  I think most of the coins gave a two way signal.  By two way signal I mean a good signal in one direction then turn 90 degrees and I still get a decent signal.  Hard to believe I’m still pulling coins from this spot!  The only changes I made to tekkna was lowering the iron volume to 8. 

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4551.jpeg

IMG_4550.jpeg

IMG_4556.jpeg

IMG_4555.jpeg

IMG_4554.jpeg

• Like 7

That's a very handsome silver coin....Well done.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

and to my surprise a Japanese phoenix coin that is silver!

Outstanding, NC.

Your coin is a 50 Sen coin, date uncertain, but it's the "Small" one. .720 silver. 👍

Gotta love Tekkna. 🙂 

The 9" makes a difference when there's a lot of trash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Outstanding, NC.

Your coin is a 50 Sen coin, date uncertain, but it's the "Small" one. .720 silver. 👍

Gotta love Tekkna. 🙂 

The 9" makes a difference when there's a lot of trash.

Thanks Bob!  I did a google image search and couldn’t find an exact date either.  I would guess that it was brought back with a soldier when he returned home from WWII.  

I am loving tekkna.  I don’t know what it is but I’ll take Gary’s word that there’s some witchcraft going on with it!   Lol 

• Like 1