Sand Scoop Recommendations

Good afternoon to my fellow detectorists

I'm looking for any recommendations for sand scoops for the beach, wet and dry sand. I'm currently using a 41 inch stainless steel scoop that's durable but it gets to be fairly heavy after a few hours. I was looking at the Extreme sand scoops but the titanium is way more that I want to spend right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated 

I'm currently looking for one as well. Check out the T-Rex scoops on Big Boys Hobbies website. Less expensive than Xtreme, and I've been told they are excellent scoops. Not sure if they're any lighter. I also have one of the cheaper aluminum ones, but it's already cracking around the edges (not too durable). It's meant primarily for the dry sand, but it is lighter. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go to Serious Detecting website, type "titanium" in the search box.

The most expensive one is $303 with handle.

I have the Loch Ness Mini. 1.5mm titanium is strong, but not as strong as stainless. I have a CooB Shark v10 2mm stainless for that, Max 4 lbs I think. The Loch Ness on a CF handle weighs a little over 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recommend a scoop that will always get down to the item that you want. There is a little more sifting that you have to do with it but it is always in the scoop until you pull it out.

Made by Bobcat and can go almost anywhere except deep water.

image.thumb.png.519262b0507b713d6f743aa1c5fce82c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

In my opinion you need the best metal for the job, I go to stony beaches and beaches where the sand is like powder, this is a tough one.

Titanium is strong and light but you will damage it lifting rocks or scooping in stones, so I bite the bullet if you will on the days when I go to a local stony beach, and I bring both when I travel to beaches in the summer with my RV. Nothing better than a huge white sand beach with a titanium scoop. It just makes the day better.

I'm not sure how good the Carbon Fiber handles are at the bigger stores, both my scoop handles come from Steve's Detector Rods, his are slightly heavier but I have confidence they won't break. He took great pains to tell me why it would cost a fortune to get a really long one. I think his are in the 40s, I wanted one that was 52" or longer.

Why is a longer shaft necessary? Buoyancy works against you when over 50% of your body is in water. It also helps to stabilize when you are getting hit by waves. It might help save you if you get caught in a rip 🤔

Also consider a Raptor handle to put at the balance point, it may save your back in heavy mud:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MT248MD

They are very tough.

• Like 1

I actually had one made at a fabricator's shop that is 2mm thick with just under 1/4 in holes. They made it to fit a carbon fiber shaft from an old trolling motor and it has never broken or had any problems. The cost was around $150 and well worth it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, masslawman said:

I'm looking for any recommendations for sand scoops for the beach, wet and dry sand.

I have been running two of these for over 20 years.

RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP with SS Tip (#RTGBB6tip)

Light but tough with the stainless tip. Aluminum is easy to weld and repair if you have issues. 

• Like 1

I had a stainless scoop on a wooden shovel handle for years. Finally caved in and bought a CKG titanium with one piece carbon fiber handle for just over $300 about a year ago. I see now the price has creeped up a little to $245 for the scoop and around $85 for the handle so $330 for both.....still cheaper than an Extreme by a long shot.

I hunt sandy beaches with no stones. Scoop looks good as new after a year of hunting 1-2 times a week 6 hours or so per hunt. I should have pulled the trigger years ago....what a difference in weight. Get the one piece handle unless the travel two piece is absolutely necessary. One piece will always be stronger. 

I would shy away from the cheaper Dune scoops. A guy I watch on youtube had stress fractures on his after only a short time.

Here's the link....CKG Scoops

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 5:50 AM, TampaBayBrad said:

I had a stainless scoop on a wooden shovel handle for years. Finally caved in and bought a CKG titanium with one piece carbon fiber handle for just over $300 about a year ago. I see now the price has creeped up a little to $245 for the scoop and around $85 for the handle so $330 for both.....still cheaper than an Extreme by a long shot.

I hunt sandy beaches with no stones. Scoop looks good as new after a year of hunting 1-2 times a week 6 hours or so per hunt. I should have pulled the trigger years ago....what a difference in weight. Get the one piece handle unless the travel two piece is absolutely necessary. One piece will always be stronger. 

I would shy away from the cheaper Dune scoops. A guy I watch on youtube had stress fractures on his after only a short time.

Here's the link....CKG Scoops

Thanks I'll check them out. 

• Like 1

My aging, arthritic hands made me decide to look for a reasonably-priced, slightly smaller, tough, stainless steel scoop for my beach detecting. My bigger scoop enticed me into digging up overly heavy scoops of wet sand, which wore out my hands (and back and shoulders) too quickly.

I ended up getting a Quest Scoopal model, and it's been working well for me. It's available from many sources, but here's one with some details (at $100):

https://detectors1.com/products/scoopal®-sand-scoop

It comes without a handle (although it's often sold with an optional handle at higher price). I went to a hardware store and bought an oak shovel/pick handle for about $10-12, I think. I figured I'd try this wood handle first, then switch to something lighter weight later if necessary.  I'm still using the wood, however.  In my opinion, this combo is worth considering.

• Like 1