In Need Of A Good Pick For Detecting

54 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

yeah that would be great if everyone had the ability to build their own stuff like Picks and things like that, but some times the cost to build stuff is much more expensive than just purchasing already made items, a lot of times its just cheaper to purchase already made items.

Sounds like the original poster already invested a bunch in picks that were unsatisfactory. If you make your own you get what you want, and it really does not require much ability.

I really like my Apex picks for dig and detect mining good heavy big rock moving tools.  But for cross country hunting there are better options. I have a custom from Picketts gold in Australia its made from truck spring steel for that.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wendell Clark said:

Never thought I'd say it but everyone needs more than 1 pick.

That’s for sure.....here is my collection, all self made from a plough disc.

28AE8413-07B4-42E0-8265-679E69A91FAF.thumb.jpeg.37f5c5a5f6385724821ac3ae59c27362.jpeg80F0AD08-56F6-4922-8D65-1D65307F5610.thumb.jpeg.f2f8b280bac473e484a89202a2f27fe0.jpeg

• Like 7

Either make your own or find a metal fabricator to make the pick head how you want it. Or, I would suggest getting ahold of Lucky Strike Prospecting or Reeds Prospecting in Australia and buy one from them. I am not a fan of the Apex pick. This is just my opinion, but I think it sucks. The hoe end is not long enough or wide enough. The welded magnet rings hinder the hoe blade from sinking into the ground effectively, the handle is too big in diameter. This doesn't help especially when their quality control doesn't watch for handles with the grain incorrectly matched with the striking angle of the pick. Also there are better woods for pick handles than hickory. Add to this they are way to heavy and the owners are too arrogant to evolve their picks and make them better. Or at the very least offer two completely different styles of picks. I will never give my money for such a worthless pick as the Apex. Try to get your hands on a Walco pick or one of the other picks in Australia. Osage is the best wood in the world for pick handles hands down. Get on line and find wood dealers around the US and have them send you a handle blank and shape it yourself with a rasp and an orbital sander. You will have a better product! 

• Like 3

What Phrunt Recommends, Gold Gigger Picks by Davsgold.... I've been using one for year's, tough as they get !!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dig It said:

What Phrunt Recommends, Gold Gigger Picks by Davsgold.... I've been using one for year's, tough as they get !!!

Davsgold pick I believe was made from the result of Mike "malleyboy" pick made way back in 2010 that he showed me WA and have not heard a bad word about them. I know it was made for prospecting by a farmer come prospector for his own use. So you can't go go wrong with one.

'

• Like 3

I use mine as a lever to lift rocks I can't even possibly move without it, sure often I can't lift them but the pick does the job of sliding them to the side or whatever I need to to do at the time.  I'm forever smashing up bedrock with it, they're tough.  I think if anyone would break one it would be me as I'm not exactly what you'd call careful with it, not even remotely.  Davsgold picks are really good picks.

• Like 3

Here is my Picketts pick.  Its a pretty sweet design.  But I still like my Apexs (Sorry Reese🤣) for the heavy mining work in the bedrock at our claims.  But the Pickett has a big long tooth and wide hoe that works great for surface detecting.  I just need to put a 34" handle on it. Too lazy kneel down or bend over all the time. 🤣

0AC45A32-330B-4D67-B5F9-CDB98E3FB95F.jpeg

B204F644-047B-4A57-A85A-9B6834BDD071.jpeg

E62E6C6B-A93C-413D-B2DA-FF9F9BF6E077.jpeg

• Like 1