In Need Of A Good Pick For Detecting

I use a 530gr (18,7 ounces), double use hoe from Bellota. Pretty much indestructible because it’s forged in one piece. They are made with the best steel (this company manufactures agriculture tools for 120 years). I use this brand for farming activities for at least 40 years. The pointy edge will not erode and the flat side is always sharp. Even if you are hammering on mix soil/stones.  It’s lightweight and inexpensive. I purchase the tool without the cable but they also sell with a cable, just cut them to your desire length. They sell worldwide.                                     https://www.bellota.com/en-us/for-agriculture/soil-preparation/hoes/hoes/forged-double-use-hoe-hoe-and-launcher-with-antigiro-system-hoe230/hoe230bp   image.thumb.png.f3b11069655f2ddf13cd374f44f2c7a5.png

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

My overall favorite pick was the old Walco's that originally came from Australia and Doc used to distribute them.  They were super strong and you had a couple options on size.  I was able to find a dealer that sent me 4 of them many years back, but I had to pay premium to get them shipped over.  

For years I carried Bunk's Hermit and Burro Picks.  However, even though Bunk is a personal friend, the demand became too much for him to support the dealers, so he deals direct and I believe can custom build to your specs if needed.  Contact Bunk @ Bunks Arizona Prospecting for this.  

Doc builds his pick, the GoldStalker 24" with magnet, which is highly recommended.   I sell a ton of these through the Winter prospecting season.  

I still carry Apex picks, all sizes.  The most common are the 1-3 magnet 18", 24" & 30" picks, some like the longer 36".  You can also get them with no magnets, but I recommend at least one or purchase your own and place on the top.  Apex also makes a very nice nylon pick holder and belt.  

I also have the smaller Jobe 14.5" with a foam hand grip that works great for coin/relic or VLF gold detectors (shallow digging).  This is a very lightweight pick and sell super well.

For the creative type, you can always build your own.  Picks due to the cost of wood and metal have really increased in price over the years.  A good prospecting pick anymore is probably $60-$130.  

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

For the creative type, you can always build your own.  Picks due to the cost of wood and metal have really increased in price over the years.  A good prospecting pick anymore is probably $60-$130.  

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob

This is true!  Parts alone are around $50 for a DIY fab. Handles really got expensive, then you need tubing, epoxy, rivet pin, cutting disc.. It all adds up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WesD said:

This is true!  Parts alone are around $50 for a DIY fab. Handles really got expensive, then you need tubing, epoxy, rivet pin, cutting disc.. It all adds up

For me Personally, picks and things like that are just not worth the hassle of trying to build any longer, getting older sucks because I at one time tried to build everything I needed, and with the cost of shipping and fuel running around to gather up the parts needed, for me personally it is just not worth the aggravation just way easier to find things like pics and just purchase them.  

• Like 2

The plow disks also make great cowboy Woks...to whom it may concern....love mine

picks are like watches hammers etc...personal preference...my apex picks have held up fine...yes the makers  could easily add some new models and that would be great if they did make one with a bug butt for pulling out dirt for those deeper holes. 

strick 

• Like 1

Well I have to get my two cents in.

$99.95 Doc's Nugget Stalker Pick.  plus s&h  Made in the U.S.A.

Made with sturdy forged metal. The wide blade with curved edges moves dirt quickly and efficiently.  The wide blade is sharp, it will cut through bushes and brush with ease.  Comes with a 1 inch X 1/2 inch approx. Super Magnet.  The magnet is screwed to the top and can be removed.

The handle is 24 inches long.  The width of the wide blade is 5.5 inches, and from the point to the edge of the wide blade is 11 inches.  The handle is made of Ash and has a little larger area at the end of the handle for a better grip.

If you order the Nugget Stalker pick with a magnet, the magnet will be mounted with a screw on the top of the blade between the point and the wide blade.  Or you can request we send the magnet loose so you can decide where to mount it.

Doc's Nugget Stalker® Brand Gold Pick, the only pick for Metal Detecting you'll ever need. - Doc's Place (docsdetecting.com)

Doc

20191119_131559.thumb.jpg.8f4fe6e8d0b707f62e26d4bc29d73b2b.jpg20210209_144343-e1661108214811-768x576.jpg.9ddee94b41c4ef3a3159ce2b0bfc92d3.jpg20190918_145341-Copy.thumb.jpg.5c539e9f79f27ef4885e4d5aec602d11.jpg

• Like 5

I use and really like Doc's Stalker pick. The weight is great, the narrow pick end let's you get in some crevices, and I really like how sharp the shovel end comes. 

While I use gloves, I often refinish the handle to a burnt finish and did with Doc's too. 

The Apex I own is really heavy duty, but the weight and profile just don't fit most situations for me. 

20231213_112320~2.jpg

• Like 1