Target ID Chart Differences Between Equinox 600/800 And Equinox 700/900/manticore

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You must have a sophisticated piece of software (maybe it's your brain?) to come up with that fit curve. 

No, unfortunately my brain is not that powerful. I used the R statistical program to fit a sigmoidal curve using a least squares regression. I use R for work, so I had everything handy.

image.png.2d0700b8cf6bb24112bf12137f2ac605.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BigSkyGuy said:

No, unfortunately my brain is not that powerful. I used the R statistical program to fit a sigmoidal curve using a least squares regression. I use R for work, so I had everything handy.

image.png.2d0700b8cf6bb24112bf12137f2ac605.png

Thanks for the graph..I used to think the numbers were just doubled for the M-Core say a 15 on the 800 would be a 30 on the m-core but looks like the split starts to happen at around 20 and 10 lines for both machines...I wonder if this divergence was intentional (by the engineers) or is this just the way the physics works out? 

strick

4 minutes ago, strick said:

Thanks for the graph..I used to think the numbers were just doubled for the M-Core say a 15 on the 800 would be a 30 on the m-core but looks like the split starts to happen at around 20 and 10 lines for both machines...I wonder if this divergence was intentional (by the engineers) or is this just the way the physics works out? 

Strick,

My interpretation of the graph is that the numbers were expanded in the middle of the range, but not so much on the high and low ends. It you approximate a straight line through the highest three points, the slope looks to be less than 1, meaning that the Equinox actually has slightly more resolution in this area (i.e. more numbers between a US quarter and a silver dollar). Near the middle of the curve, the slope is much higher than 1, indicating that the MC has an expanded range in this area. I think in this area you are correct, that the numbers are approximately doubled (e.g. for a nickel this is true, 12-13 for EQI vs 26-27 for the MC).

I would guess that this was intentional. There is no real benefit from expanding the range between a quarter and a dollar, but some possible benefit in the middle of the range where pull tabs and gold jewelry are present (but this is debatable of course).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Give me an expanded meter anytime.   Thats one major thing i did not like about the eq 800.  I had a Rutus alter 71 a few years back, and I found the most jewelry with that machine, as it had 120 segments.  I would go into a ballfield bleacher area, and the rings would lock on with a solid number, where as the aluminum crap would usually bounce a bit. The only aluminum that locked in was the tab when broken away from the ring. 

• Like 1

Thanks.... looking at your graph it seems that most of the targets  you tested were were in the low to mid range... curious about what type of targets you were testing to create the graph? 

strick 

• Like 1

I used the coins and nuggets in the photo plus a bunch of gold jewelry. The very lowest value was a 14K post earring. A few of the coins in the photo (the large cent, reales, and 2-cent coin) were not used in the graph because I did not get a VDI on the 800 before I sold it.

VDI Test Coins.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redneck said:

Give me an expanded meter anytime.   Thats one major thing i did not like about the eq 800.  I had a Rutus alter 71 a few years back, and I found the most jewelry with that machine, as it had 120 segments.  I would go into a ballfield bleacher area, and the rings would lock on with a solid number, where as the aluminum crap would usually bounce a bit. The only aluminum that locked in was the tab when broken away from the ring. 

The new Rutus Versa has 120 points also, divided up a little differently than previous models. It and my Whites MXT 180 point scale do a good job boxing in common Al trash.   How a detector processes & normalizes the SMF signal is really the secret sauce on TID.  The Nokta Legend only has 60 points, but has the most solid TID lock & accuracy out of all my detectors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redneck said:

Give me an expanded meter anytime.   Thats one major thing i did not like about the eq 800. 

The only machine I have experience on is the D2 with 100 scale. I HATE it. Throws gold and pull tabs all over the place. My Equinox makes calling tabs 100% easier. Almost impossible to skip any tabs with the D2. 

2 hours ago, midalake said:

The only machine I have experience on is the D2 with 100 scale. I HATE it. Throws gold and pull tabs all over the place. My Equinox makes calling tabs 100% easier. Almost impossible to skip any tabs with the D2. 

Dave,

So you're saying rings never ID as Tabs on the Equinox?  That is, you can confidently skip whatever ID is associated with a tab on the Nox simply because its repeatable?

27 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

So you're saying rings never ID as Tabs on the Equinox? 

No, Rings of course can ID at 14. 

27 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

That is, you can confidently skip whatever ID is associated with a tab on the Nox simply because its repeatable?

Yes, 95% of my tabs come in at 14. I get a few 13's and 12's. 

Like today, my conditions did not warrant skipping tabs. I dug 1 a solid 14. However, when the wave conditions are right I could have 100 14's banging my ears. On those days, I skip 14's.

Now opposed to the D2 

Inconsistent pull-tab numbers that range from 48-64. With almost no back-to-back repeat numbers. Drives me insane and makes it impossible to have ANY comfort zone on skipping tabs. 🙄