It's been rainy the last few days, yesterday was so windy it wasn't worth going out. Today was supposed to be warm, it got up to 65 but was 42 in the morning. I loaded up my WS6 Master with the 9" coil and my Deus 2 with the 13", and went to the field about a half mile away.

20240312_093411.thumb.jpg.7bbcaaf59c568d64ac2f22332394fbc0.jpg

I haven't been to this spot in a couple of years, an old house stood here, and I got lots of coins and other late 19th century stuff. I really didn't think I'd get much today, but I did.

I walked around where the house was for a while, really behind it. I found a couple of things , and decided to head out to a small corner that I only searched for a short time but found some buttons and a couple of IHPs long ago.

Little did I know the spot was a small hotspot, I kept finding coins and buttons in there until there was nothing left. The area was only about 50x50 feet, maybe less. There was evidence of cooking pits there and chunks of sandstone indicating a much older structure. Each pit had large iron in the bottom, I assume a kettle long rusted away, and lots of oyster shells. That is always a good sign.

I dug 3 IHPs, the only one I could read was an 1888. The other two are toasted, one slick and the other very encrusted. When the spot dried up I went back to the house area.

A big surprise was digging my first Flying Eagle cent! It wasn't until I cleaned everything up that I found I had a second one. They're pretty toasted but I can make out enough of the 8's to know they aren't all that rare, but that's about it. 20240312_201408.thumb.jpg.56fd7bb241195c704a65b470b5a47bfd.jpg

It was kind of a thrill to know I got two today. That wasn't all though.

Here's the stuff I probably can't fit in a display box, Looks like I dug a broken and bent musket trigger guard:

20240312_173139.thumb.jpg.9981eacd33e73c6c77e73adc3d13090e.jpg

Got some sort of tap or plug, some recent dog tags from 2006, a lock slide, a parasol slide, and a D Buckle full of the iron pin.

Here's the trash, looks like a lot but it fits in my hand:

20240312_173156.thumb.jpg.da9b1fcfcdb83887963a6d33afa415fa.jpg

It's all just buckshot, bits of lead and aluminum. I think there's a mangled spoon bowl in there.

Ok, now for the finds:

20240312_183008.thumb.jpg.4d3dc65d72b21fea386896e29d20594b.jpg

I got a Buffalo and a V Nickel at the house site, no date on the Buffalo but the V is probably 1893. At first I thought it said 1882 but that would not be my luck. 😀 Got a skeleton key, a Yankee minié ball, a small brass salamander with enameled toes, and 3 buttons, a fantastic ball button, a small thick Gilt button with some gold left, and my favorite:

20240312_202214.thumb.jpg.70f28a2d4f7b5f4651df0e9e5aa14f75.jpg

It says "Colombia Libertad".

I looked it up and while there are many celebrating the liberation of Colombia from Spain in 1810, I cannot find this one anywhere. The back has "Colour" on it, so I assume it was made in England or an English territory.

20240312_202157.thumb.jpg.19039844042a4968d1b8b362484ae1f0.jpg

I don't know where the nicks came from. 🤔 It's definitely the 1810-1850 style that is single piece.

I also dug this interesting lead coin, it has lettering on it.

20240312_202045.thumb.jpg.c2d6b7f638939bcf35278bd088da5869.jpg

If anyone has any information about the Colombian button I would appreciate it!

Very nice pictures and some good-looking finds! That Columbia is definitely interesting.

2 minutes ago, okara gold said:

Very nice pictures and some good-looking finds! That Columbia is definitely interesting.

Thank you, Okara. 🙂

Went out with low expectations and was quite happy with the returns!

I've looked everywhere for that button, but I don't have the resources or knowledge some here do. It would be great if it was very rare.

Very good hunting. Maybe your spot with the cooking pits is part of the detached kitchen.  Your lead coin could be a bag seal.

1 minute ago, JCR said:

Very good hunting. Maybe your spot with the cooking pits is part of the detached kitchen.  Your lead coin could be a bag seal.

I thought of that, usually the seals are split or have wire through them? This one is almost as big as a penny 🤔

Maybe a token?

Many great finds again with some interesting items.

Good luck on your next hunt, and we all know that you don't need any, and stay safe out there.

So I was gonna post the wheatie I found and then I saw this ! 

The pics were all nice and clear unlike my chromebook ones.....

Daaaaaang that was a bunch of nice stuff !,, Oh AYUH 

First the eagle coins , and then the columbia button . 🤯

I think that might be a lead nickel , and you know you should never take any .😵 

Oh , and the trigger guard looks like a duck.  

Now I forgot what I was gonna post. 🙄