Nel Snake Vs Sharp For Nugget Hunting

The availability of the NEL Snake for the legend was discussed in this thread 

In that thread I mentioned I was new to detector prospecting and wondered if the NEL Snake would be a better nugget hunter over the stock 6" Legend coil.  Clearly the Snake can get into spots the 6" cannot and that alone MAY be enough reason to buy one.  

When I looked at NEL's site I noticed the "Sharp" coil.  https://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/production

My novice take is the Snake covers a bit more ground, gets in tighter spaces and has slightly better separation.  The Sharp covers less ground than the Snake or my stock coil, has a bit less separation, but a bit more depth than the Snake, and being only 5", I still get into slightly tighter spaces than my stock coil.

The Sharp seems attractive for the smaller size (Compared to stock) and more depth.  But if the depth is no better than my stock coil, and there is no other benefit beyond being 1" smaller than my stock coil, I'd just go with the Snake for the size/shape advantage.

To those with actual experience, is my thinking sound... anything I'm not considering?   

If you have a 6" round, there is little point buying a 5" round, the difference isn't enough to justify the purchase.

The Snake on the other hand has the size benefit, along with more small gold sensitivity being smaller.  Depth is a confusing one too, the Snake will likely be deeper on tiny gold than the 6" but there becomes a cross s over point on gold size where the bigger coil becomes the deeper coil. 

That was the way I was leaning based on your earlier thread...thanks for confirming.

I was hoping you would chime in.   I actually wanted to send you a PM for your opinion on this subject but I don't have enough posts for that privilege.  😀

The snake is one heck of a coil. I had the Cors Shrew which is the same thing. Great coil with a quality build. It is very apparent they know how to make coils exceedingly well. That little coil blew the stock coil on my old Teknetics T2LTD away.  I also had the "puck" coil from Teknetics for that detector and it was just no comparison to what the Shrew/Snake did. I loved that coil so much it was all I used on that detector. The only drawback I seen was it took a lot more sweeps to cover areas.

I've long been screaming for metal detector and coil manufacturers to come to their senses and make Snake like coils.  The 6.5x3.5" size in its solid form is a fantastic coil, the Gold Bug 2 has something similar albeit Concentric and it's part of the reason people love the GB2 still, after what is it now almost 30 years on the market, in fact next year will be it's 30th Birthday!   How many other electronics products are still on the market sold new after 30 years? I'm guessing almost none, even the common toaster has changed a lot in that time.

Not only is it good for prospecting for many reasons, it's good for hunting in heavy trash and difficult locations, it almost turns your detector into a super cool pinpointer with Target ID's.

If only they would listen.....