Best Legend Software Version

8 hours ago, Zaj56 said:

I thought when you upgraded to the latest firmware that it included all the previous?

Generally, it does although sometimes improvements can change things.

Details of each update are listed here.  https://www.noktadetectors.com/the-legend-software-update/

21 hours ago, RobNC said:

Just a quick survey here, Of all the Legend versions available now which one is in your opinion the best one so far?

Any version above 1.09, for the same reasons Jeff talked about, but preferably 1.14 for DT and possibly BM.

DT set at 2 in my conditions is a definite improvement on the fringe targets. Plus, I really like how easy it to use, while still being able to use all the other features.

BM has been a strange one for me though. At first, I really disliked the pitch type tones of BM, but after a lot of testing, the zip-zip tones of BM has really started to grow on me. Enough so, that I might start using pitch in Park and Field mode. 

BM is much more limited in its use than DT, but I have found a few deep targets with BM that gave a solid and clean two way hit, that Park could barely hit (if at all), and Park with DT would get a one way hit, or a very scratchy two way hit. On many other targets though, BM would be no better than Park and often it was worse. For me, BM only works at a specific depth, but when it sees a nonferrous target at that specific depth, it sure does let me know in a way that Park without DT can't do.

So ya, contrary to DT, BM is a very niche mode that does have benefit under certain scenarios. An example of that, is a private swim area that I hunted that had little to no trash and a lot of jewelry. I cleaned it out of all the nonferrous targets, but I really want to go over that area again in BM. Given my testing and comparisons with DT and BM, I'm certain I can find a few more pieces of jewelry if I use BM.

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Diga gave a really good explanation for the iron filter/iron stability settings. The iron filter settings are like whole numbers and the iron stability settings are decimals like IF 1 and IS 4 is similar to a combined iron filter setting of 1.65 or so, etc. 

I'm glad you mentioned that Jeff, because it reminded me that I could be wrong in the way I described the Iron Stability setting.

I recall watching a video a couple of weeks ago, that showed IF1 / ST5, is a higher iron bias setting than IF2 / ST1.

Your post remined me that I've been meaning to test that for myself. If true though, in the big picture of the main 10 IF settings, it's probably not going to make much difference. Although I was surprised none-the-less. With that said, I will still permanently keep my ST at the mid default of 3, and my IF at 0-2.