The Legend V.1.14 Beta-1 Beast

Nokta Detection Technologies has released the Legend firmware v.1.14 Beta-1 Beast mode, here is the description from the Nokta website:

V1.14 Beta-1 Test - Beast Mode Software Update (2024.04.08)

Updates Made:

1. Deep Target Identification (dt) feature has been added.
This feature allows non-ferrous deep targets, which are masked or detected as iron (ferrous), to be detected as non-ferrous.

To access this feature, select the Recovery Speed setting and press the pinpoint button. When you navigate with the right and left keys, the letters "dt" will appear on the right side of the screen. You can change the value of the dt setting between 1-6 by using the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons. When it is at 0, this feature is off. When you increase the value, the stability of the device may diminish. This feature can be used in all modes with both multi-frequency and single frequencies.

2. Beast mode has been added.
Very deep targets may have values close to the surrounding soil and therefore may not be detected. Beast mode allows you to detect targets at depths that cannot be detected in other modes.
This mode resets the ground balanced soil, allowing deep coins and large masses to be detected by the detector.
However, in this mode, targets at fringe depths may not give an ID or their ID may be unstable.
To use this feature, simply press the frequency key in Gold Field mode. Beast mode is indicated on the screen by the letters "bE" under the multi frequency symbol M.  (April 17, 2024 edit: use All Metal Discrimination only in Beast Mode).

3. Second ground balance feature added in Beast mode.
Due to its configuration, Beast mode may cause the device to give false signals to ground changes and mineralized/hot rocks. This may cause discomfort to the user during detection. Beast mode offers users a 2nd ground balance feature to overcome mineralized/hot rocks, red bricks and other ground changes in the surrounding environment that have different properties than the soil that’s been ground balanced. With the second ground balance, depending on the properties of the hot rock or brick, in some cases, complete silence can be achieved over these falsing targets. In other cases, a broken signal may be heard. Broken sounds indicate that the detected target is a mineralized/hot rock.

To use this feature, press the Ground Balance button to access the setting. Then, activate the 2nd ground balance feature by pressing the Frequency button. When the 2nd ground balance is activated, the number "2" appears on the screen above the letters Gb. You can perform the 2nd ground balance by pressing the pinpoint button. When Beast mode is selected, 1st and 2nd ground balancing can only be performed automatically. Manual ground balancing is not possible. You can switch from the 2nd ground balance to the first one by pressing the Frequency button again. ( April 17, 2024 Edit: in Beast Mode must Ground Balance).

4. Ability to reset the 1st and 2nd ground balance settings in the Beast mode.
While Beast mode is selected, the ground balance value is reset by entering the ground balance menu and long pressing the up button. When the button is held down, the animation is shown on the screen. To reset the 2nd ground balance value, first activate the 2nd ground balance. Reset the 2nd ground balance value by pressing the up button again.

5. "Iron Rejection"  feature in Beast mode.
Beast mode, like the Gold Field mode, produces signals for both non-ferrous and ferrous targets by changing the frequency of the sound according to the strength of the received signal. In order to distinguish ferrous targets, especially those closer to the surface, depending on the signal strength received from the ferrous target, the device emits a lower tone than that of the non-ferrous targets with the frequency varying according to the strength of the signal.

To access this feature, select the Recovery Speed setting and press the pinpoint button. The letters "Ir" will appear on the right side of the screen. You can change the value of the "Ir" setting between 1-5 by using the plus (+) and minus (-) keys. When it is at 0, this feature is off. When the value is increased, the probability of emitting a ferrous tone for deep non-ferrous targets increases.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, @HardPack! Downloaded successfully without any issues.

Doubt I'll have a chance to take it out today to test out, however -- my town right in center of the line for the totality, and we're supposed to be swamped with eclipse traffic.  

Thanks for posting about the release of V1.14 Beta.

Some very interesting added features besides just Beast Mode.

Could give a really good detector even more performance improvements!!!

Look forward to loading it and testing it. 

I still can't believe how good the Legend is even head to head with detectors like the Manticore and Deus 2.

I have two Legends for backups, water detecting and for friends and family to use. I think I paid less for both of them than what a new Equinox 800 costs today.

Thanks Nokta!!!!

The Deep Target Identification was completely unexpected.

We all know that all nonferrous targets identify as ferrous when at the very edge of detection, so finding out how exactly that feature works will be interesting. With that said, I'd like to know how beast mode works as well. Maybe a very low frequency around 2 KHz?

HP,

Thanks for the info.

I've recently purchased a Legend (thanks, Snake Jim) primarily for prospecting and have been thrilled with the early results.

I've been able to hit a nearby workings about 5 times now (constant rain here in CA/OR region) with little to show for it except a huge time/effort savings when compared to using my SDC.

I will update to the 1.14 shortly and share my in-field findings.

(Aside ... Jeff, I am unable to reply to your classified regarding buying your Carrot if it is still available).

Thanks again to all who so generously contribute to this site.

Gerard

Interesting update, Nokta keep putting better bait on their hook, they'll reel me in soon enough, the deeper Target ID thing is interesting, depending on how it compares to other deep target ID detectors.

Just need those Nel coils to be easily accessible.  

I'd like to hear how these features improve it as a prospecting detector, the hot rock thing may help.

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Interesting update, Nokta keep putting better bait on their hook, they'll reel me in soon enough, the deeper Target ID thing is interesting, depending on how it compares to other deep target ID detectors.

Just need those Nel coils to be easily accessible.  

I'd like to hear how these features improve it as a prospecting detector, the hot rock thing may help.

So far, it appears they have delivered on what they said they would do. That carries a lot of weight with me.

I am wondering just how much more they are willing to update the Legend, or how much more it can take.

These new setting features seem promising, especially if working in mineralization. They remind me of Nokta's prior efforts with the Impact/ Anfibio Multi"s Gen D mode. A Multi frequency Motion All Metal mode for the Legend would be welcome if they have improved upon the older Impact/Anfibio version performance. Sounds like they have added a hot rock adjustment with the Deep Target feature.  I will have to get my head wrapped around the button combinations with the help of Cliff notes. 

We are finally getting a rainy spell here so testing will have to wait a bit. I look forward to others thoughts & obdervations.

Turns out, that Beast Mode only works in Gold Mode.

Anyway, I just did a quick test with the new update using a buried dime that was very iffy in Park Mode. It was a 1 way hit, and even that 1 way hit was scratchy and intermittent. 

Beast mode was much more quiet on the dime than Park mode. I don't use gold mode, but I did find out that gold mode's audio gain default is much lower than Park mode. I raised gold mode's AG, and beast mode gave about the same very iffy response as park mode. I do have very mild ground, so I'm wondering (especially given gold bearing ground mineralization), is if beast mode is mainly effective in mid to high mineralized ground.

On the other hand, the DTI in Park mode made a significant difference on the dime, by turning the very iffy "don't dig me" signal, to a solid 2 way hit...even when raising the coil some. 

I am hoping we can get some additional description/clarification from Nokta on the features added in this V1.14 update, I am unsure if they put Beast mode under Gold Field because it is similar in some way or that is just were they made room to access it.   Is it Multi?   Is it Gold Field's Multi?   Can you run it in M1, M2, M3?   Is it Disc capable or only Iron audio shift?   Hands on time will tell .