The Legend V.1.14 Beta-1 Beast

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

I had a chance to experiment a little further with in the wild targets, instead of a controlled test.

DT is working well. The sweet spot setting in my ground is 2 to 3. Any more than that, and I begin getting some falsing and audio stuttering.

Beast Mode though? I'm still scratching my head on that 😁

Same here. How awkward does setting up Beast mode have to be....

If I used it as it stands right now, I would have it in a User Profile already setup for emergencies so I wouldn't have to stop everything and spend 5 minutes making sure I had it setup right.

I can't tell what its weighting is either. All I have seen so far is that it doesn't really hit sub gram targets at depth at all.  Goldfield M had no trouble with clear two way hits on the same US Seated Half Dime and a 0.5 gram Burundian gold coil at about 8" depth. Basically next to nothing on those targets using Beast Mode properly setup. I was hitting US dimes and nickels easily at 7 to 8" depth with Beast Mode but not as hard as Goldfield M and Gold Field M had very accurate target IDs. Beast Mode was way off on the low conductive nickels I tested and was pretty close on higher conductive coins. Sensitivity was on 21.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it is weighted lower after all.

4 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Same here. How awkward does setting up Beast mode have to be....

If I used it as it stands right now, I would have it in a User Profile already setup for emergencies so I wouldn't have to stop everything and spend 5 minutes making sure I had it setup right.

I can't tell what its weighting is either. All I have seen so far is that it doesn't really hit sub gram targets at depth at all.  Goldfield M had no trouble with clear two way hits on the same US Seated Half Penny and a 0.5 gram Burundian gold coil at about 8" depth. Basically next to nothing on those targets using Beast Mode properly setup. I was hitting US dimes and nickels easily at 7 to 8" depth with Beast Mode but not as hard as Goldfield M and Gold Field M had very accurate target IDs. Beast Mode was way off on the low conductive nickels I tested and was pretty close on higher conductive coins. Sensitivity was on 21.

That's good info.

I didn't even bother going through the whole 2nd ground balancing thing, because my ground is so darn mild, that I didn't think it would matter.

Anyway, I think my original assumption was correct...which I then thought was incorrect after the release lol. That is, I thought and mentioned that BM would likely be a very low frequency (like around 2.8 khz) mode. Your tests may very well help to confirm that. 

I also just read a post from Dilek, in which she said that BM is a separate mode. Nokta used Gold Mode to access BM, because there was no room for the icon in the other modes.

Nokta issued the following clarification regarding Beast Mode:

Nokta Detectors

Hello everybody! Just want to clarify a confusion. Beast mode is a mode itself! We didn't have enough space on the screen to have a separate icon for it. Therefore we use the Gold Mode icon to go to the Beast Mode. Beast Mode is a separate mode. Hope it's clear!

52 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

That's good info.

I didn't even bother going through the whole 2nd ground balancing thing, because my ground is so darn mild, that I didn't think it would matter.

Anyway, I think my original assumption was correct...which I then thought was incorrect after the release lol. That is, I thought and mentioned that BM would likely be a very low frequency (like around 2.8 khz) mode. Your tests may very well help to confirm that. 

I also just read a post from Dilek, in which she said that BM is a separate mode. Nokta used Gold Mode to access BM, because there was no room for the icon in the other modes.

Yep I assumed it would either be a boosted mid frequency weighted mode or a lower weighted “Cache” mode which is now more likely. 

Putting it in Goldfield makes no sense on the surface since they appear to be polar opposites but the explanation from Dilek also makes sense. 

I just went into my backyard to take a few minutes to swing using BM. Like most of us, I've pounded my backyard with various settings / coil sizes, and cleared it of all nonferrous targets.

I was out there for about 15 minutes in BM mode, and came across two (possibly) nonferrous targets! Whaa?? Both maxed out the depth meter, and showed nothing on Ferrocheck. The ID's were bouncing between ferrous ID's and penny/dime ID's. Both gave solid 2 way hits in BM. Switched to Park with DT activated, and got 1 way hits on both targets, but the ID was around 23 (just below nickel). Park mode without DT, wasn't even hitting those targets at all. I haven't even dug them up yet. I'm tired, not feeling well, and it's getting cold and dark out. I was just perplexed and excited, so I thought I'd post 🙂

I don't think the targets are iron falsing, because iron falsing typically gives me an ID just below nickel, and BM gave me a dime / penny ID. It's weird stuff that I'm still trying to figure out! Also, my backyard is layered in ferrous trash, so it just well may be that a main benefit of BT is much better iron unmasking performance??? Oh almost forgot...I just did a regular ground balance, and not the BM ground balance.

BTW- The tones in BM are really starting to grow on me. Enough so, that I think I'm going to switch from square tones to whatever the heck the tones are in BM 🙂

It is all interesting and it will be some fun to learn how to utilize these new features.  I do not think BM is a "Cache" type mode. The response is too quick and there is zero overshoot in the threshold. I'm going to think of it as an improved Gen D which is a motion non disc type of All Metal channel with Iron audio. That will give me a reference to adapt from. I wonder how SAT is being handled? I need to play with Recovery on it too as it may very well be more important than with the traditional tone ID modes. The second Ground Balance seems odd, but would help considerably with Hot Rock/Coke response. I wonder if this idea is an off shoot from their ongoing PI development?

1 hour ago, JCR said:

I do not think BM is a "Cache" type mode

The Sept/Oct 2023 BM update indicated a search mode for relics, is it now very deep relics/coins and large masses?*

Come Thursday I’ll run the BM over some basalt hot rocks to see if I missed any small lead, boot tacks or masked gold out at the EMI claim to check out the following statement.

“Beast mode offers users a 2nd ground balance feature to overcome mineralized/hot rocks…”

*If anyone has a Facebook account you can post any questions regarding the software release under the comment section of the Nokta Detection Technologies Facebook v1.14 Beta 1 release video. I believe the factory is closed for the remainder of the week so a reply probably wouldn’t be until next week.

In doing a little Bench test last night I find Recovery Speed does have a larger impact on BE mode than the normal Tone ID modes, at least in air testing. The overall sensitivity, audio & TID, (in air) is less than the Tone ID modes also on small coin size targets. This may change in mineralized ground. Audio Gain level also has a big impact.  This is very reminiscent of the Gen D on my Anfibio Multi. I never could get it to run as well as the normal Disc Tone ID Modes. It just seemed weak The At Max All Metal mode, the MXT Relic mode, Tarsacci Mixed mode & the Rutus Versa Dual modes are much more sensitive and very usable in the field,  I still question the absence of a Threshold Tone. It is an important adjustment on the other detectors mentioned(except the Tarsacci).  The same for SAT.

One thing I will have to remember about BE mode is that the Disc setting acts a a Tone Break and TID block. With the Iron Reject tone, that is really 3 tones to keep up with and how the mode functions & reacts is a pretty good shift from the normal Tone ID modes.

I will get on the ground more with it next.

I also want to see what the Versa's EMI Preview screen will show for BE mode TX frequency.

1 hour ago, JCR said:

I also want to see what the Versa's EMI Preview screen will show for BE mode TX frequency.

Now that will be interesting! Then again, with SMF, we still don't know what frequencies are processed 😑

Also, according to the BM instructions, it seems as though the additional ground balance in BM, is only needed when the ground mineralization changes due to objects like hot rocks...and that's only if the hot rocks are causing falsing.

Other than the likes of hot rocks, then shouldn't it suffice to enter BM and just do a regular ground balance?