The Legend V.1.14 Beta-1 Beast

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, JohnnyRox said:

I wonder if after GBing out hot rocks...the detector will see a nonferrous target through the hot rocks?  I think the Tarsacci does something like that.

That's my big interest too, as from what I've seen only A PI can do this to a degree.

With some further experimentation in my backyard, I'm beginning to think that DT and BM aren't "technically" going deeper. Rather, DT and BM are exposing small and deep nonferrous targets that were previously missed, or very iffy, due to masking from the ground signal and / or iron objects. It's as though the improvement is in the separation of nonferrous targets from the ground signal and iron.

Exactly, bringing the target out of the Ground.
 I am finding limited benefit in my mild ground test bed so far with BE mode.  In my red dirt mineralized test bed it shows more promise but the audio is not as definitive as it should be. I may just be trying to make it into something it is not supposed to be.  Recovery does have a much more pronounced effect on the sensitivity of BE than the normal Park & Field modes.  At Recovery 3 there is not much extra depth at all. 2 is noticeably better & Recovery 1 is even better. Even on a 12” Quarter you cannot out sweep the response.  In Park & Field you have to be very mindful of over running the signal at 1 or even 2.  The Iron Reject tone needs to be 3 to work on an average full nail at shallow depth. At 4 I start loosing audio on fringe targets, at 5 the whole purpose of using BE is defeated. I get no better response than regular Field mode without dt.  The TID is not as sensitive or stable as it needs to be even on medium depth targets.  If you use anything more than G Disc you lose the Iron Reject tone even on very shallow iron. That seems wrong.  It is probably just me but right now it seems / sounds confusing & unsure.

The DT setting for Park and Field is much more effective on deep targets than BE in both milder ground and in mineralized ground. It gives intelligent audio and the TID is good enough to be informative. It will stop me on my 12” Quarter and will touch on my 15” Half Dollar. I can make use of that.

Hopefully there is room for improvement in the BE mode, or it maybe me that needs to improve.

10 hours ago, JCR said:

The DT setting for Park and Field is much more effective on deep targets than BE in both milder ground and in mineralized ground. It gives intelligent audio and the TID is good enough to be informative. It will stop me on my 12” Quarter and will touch on my 15” Half Dollar. I can make use of that.

I'm finding the DT does what it claims to do, is easy to use, and has a consistent ID. BE on the other hand, is a "screamer" lol.

I've learned that BE isn't about the ID, because the ID is erratic and inaccurate on nonferrous targets. In fact, the description for BE states that "Targets at fringe depths may not give an ID or their ID may be unstable". I've also learned that whenever instructions say something like "may not", it usually means "will not" 🙂

BE is all about the audio. With my tests on wild fringe targets, BE screams "nonferrous!" on some targets. With the same targets, the audio using DT is not nearly as blatant, and the audio in regular mode is broken up or 1 way. All of that doesn't occur on all fringe targets.

Put another way, BE doesn't usually know the type of nonferrous target it's seeing at the fringe, but it's very bold when it tells you that it sees a deep nonferrous target (compared to regular and DT mode, and provided the AG is similar)

On 4/9/2024 at 7:58 PM, JCR said:

The second Ground Balance seems odd, but would help considerably with Hot Rock/Coke response

Climbed the slope above the EMI claim, far less iron trash but an abundance of basalt and ironstone hot rocks. In Beast mode Multi started with LG 30 coil with Recovery 1, Iron rejection 1, sensitivity 15 to 22, Discrimination All Metal, Volume 2, Audio Gain 3, normal ground balance 44 to 45, 2nd ground balance over hot rocks 47 to 51. Detected with the 2nd ground balance. Found the “S” hook and smallest boot tack with the LG30. In Beast mode Multi changed to the LG 24 coils with the same settings and ground balancing procedure. Found the remaining targets in photo with the LG24. 

In Goldfield mode Multi with Deep Target (dt) at 1 was hot rocks on steroids at this specific mineralized/hot rock site. In the test garden hit all 8 inch coins with LG30 (1, 5,10 25).

In Beast mode Multi with the Legend headphones to insure all targets were heard, not necessary unless you want to heard hot rocks. In 2nd ground balance all hot rock were a very low volume TID 1, none of the targets in the photo TID’ed above 3 when buried in the mineralized soil, maximum depth 3 inches. The 22 caliber lead bullet TID 3 at buried depth of 3 inches. The remaining targets in photo were either TID 1 or 2 at a depth of 2 inches. All ferrous metal target volume increased above the low volume hot rocks. The hot rock responses were either silent or broken depending on size, depth or concentration. The higher volume response of the ferrous targets allowed for detection, separation & recovery. The 2nd ground balance is the key, the metal detector will let know if the balance is off with loud chirping when sweeping. 
All targets found were ferrous and magnetic, except the lead: air TID: “S” hook 7, boot tacks 3, rusted iron 2, 22 cal. Lead 30, red ironstone 1 with very low volume (two separate stones).IMG_0204.thumb.jpeg.0e19996146192395280af9f12e6dc360.jpeg

That sounds like an educational & successful hunt to me.

52 minutes ago, JCR said:

That sounds like an educational & successful hunt to me

I am thinking the 6 inch LG15 might be the best for this site. Plus a trackhoe to get down through the basalts slope sediments to the slates. Found a few stranded wire ties left behind by whoever packed bags of pay down to the stream. May explain all of the boot tacks. Spring is bringing the poison oak and snakes up & out. I am liking the “deep target” (dt) combined with a LG24 on a site with far fewer hot rocks. At least the Beast works to reduce the hot rock impact on small shallow targets. We need input from a cache hunter.

The new BE mode with it’s effective 2nd GB maybe very useful for situations like yours,  For shallower targets the Iron Reject works well and the audio is much more understandable. TID is better too. You don’t need high Sensitivity and a small coil will separate well. It is worth experimenting with.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:56 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

Same here. How awkward does setting up Beast mode have to be....

If I used it as it stands right now, I would have it in a User Profile already setup for emergencies so I wouldn't have to stop everything and spend 5 minutes making sure I had it setup right.

I can't tell what its weighting is either. All I have seen so far is that it doesn't really hit sub gram targets at depth at all.  Goldfield M had no trouble with clear two way hits on the same US Seated Half Dime and a 0.5 gram Burundian gold coil at about 8" depth. Basically next to nothing on those targets using Beast Mode properly setup. I was hitting US dimes and nickels easily at 7 to 8" depth with Beast Mode but not as hard as Goldfield M and Gold Field M had very accurate target IDs. Beast Mode was way off on the low conductive nickels I tested and was pretty close on higher conductive coins. Sensitivity was on 21.

Jeff   is DT something that you will turn on in Park and Field and just leave on?