Pulse Induction & VLF In One Detector. Don't Piss On My Dream.

22 hours ago, Quick said:

I think a detector that doesn’t see the small ferrous metal would be more to my liking than one with a discriminator. I’ve noticed with the GPX 5000 in the fine gold timing, at times will balance out rotten rusty nails and metal can pieces, seeing it as ground mineralization. Cut out the small iron so I don’t have to hear it and I’m good.

The larger iron is easy enough to dig and the non ferrous targets are small in number and at times valuable. These need to come out of the ground anyway due to the possibility of them masking gold. 

I appreciate your comments but have a couple issues with the thinking.  "I think a detector that doesn’t see the small ferrous metal would be more to my liking than one with a discriminator." That my friend is Discrimination = Iron ID.

"The larger iron is easy enough to dig".  I've attempted to dig large iron out of tailing piles in the hopes of a large chunk of gold.  After 2 or 3 feet down and an hour wasted on 1 iron target, I end up with no energy and my body is spent/drained.  Do that a few times a day and your comment "The larger iron is easy enough to dig" is tossed out the window.

I'm assuming your detecting style is much different than many of the locations I find good gold.  That's totally understandable as there are so many variations in this hobby "Gold Hunting with a Detector".  Some of my best sites that still produce gold are the ones with big deep iron and also plenty of small bits. A couple of my VLF detectors will smoke w GPX-5000 in these situations.  To be fair to a 5000.  If not much trash in the area and decent size dense gold, I'll certainly dig the occasional trash and iron, as that's "currently" still part of the game.

But what does the future hold?

Either way, it's great for discussion and gives those smarter guys than us, the desire to continue to improve what out there now.

• Like 7

Hi Gerry,

If a detector is ground balancing out small iron and seeing it as ground mineralization I don’t believe this is any form of discrimination or Iron ID as you state. This is the detector seeing the iron in the ground as minerals or hot ground. Like I have stated I have found that the 5000 in fine gold can at times balance out rotten rusty nails and small flakes of iron. 
As for large Iron I do understand the labor that it takes. Tailing piles are known for holding large iron and I have dug my share of pits in them. With tailing piles I prefer a VLF detector that discriminates and also finds the porous type gold. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:08 AM, Quick said:

As for large Iron I do understand the labor that it takes. Tailing piles are known for holding large iron and I have dug my share of pits in them. With tailing piles I prefer a VLF detector that discriminates and also finds the porous type gold. 

That's a fact for certain and I agree 100% my friend.  I do the same in many ore dump piles and hydraulic pits as well. 

Glad to know you are open to a variety of detector tools for some of their capabilities, as many people seem to wear blinders.  I was one who wore such blinders and thought if I ran my big expensive PI over an area, I had no need to go back over with a VLF.  That thinking cost me some amazing missed gold at a few locations.  When in happens 1 or 2 times for a small piece of gold, it's easier to just say "he got lucky".  When it happens more than a few and those are multi ounce $5000+ pieces of gold...It most certainly catches ones attention in a sick feeling bad way.  I learned to accept change and different detector tools for the various kinds of gold out there.

Luckily for me, and even though it was costly error on my part, I learned to take the blinders off.

This "Golden Oreo" was recovered 2018 in old workings full of man-made iron with a VLF using Iron ID and VDI #'s.  I actually started hunting the site in about 20 yrs ago using GP-3000 with very little Success at gold.  Boy did I dig my share of deep iron targets.  This location was one of those that produced 1 decent find for every 5 days of hunting.  I used some of the newer PI's when the GPX series came out and did a little better, but still so much deep iron.  Then when the Equinox came out in 2018 and I learned it's ID system, I knew where I wanted to go. Those same sites have really been "Golden" for me in so many ways.

1MEQC.jpg

1stNugE.jpg

1stNugF.jpg

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 2

Tis bloody difficult removing those blinkers.... I try for a few hours but the 6K, E1500 and Z start bellowing out for use..... a VLF/PI Gerry dream machine plus hobbles are needed.... 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Those same sites have really been "Golden" for me in so many ways.

Fully agree with that Gerry. This is exactly what I use the Manticore for. Love that machine (I only use it with the M8) and I can highly recommend it for gold hunting at mine sites (threshold on, goldfield, all metal, prospecting theme)! In fact, the only detector I have that produces there. Also, hot rocks can reasonably well be identified by their often unstable ID, when going over them from various angles (in particular with the M8). This is an added benefit provided by the advanced ID system and is great considering it is just a VLF, which usually struggle the most with hot rocks. IMO the Manticore beats the 6000 for shallow gold (<2 inch) in trashy (and hot rock infested) areas. I just get more gold at these sites and also keep my sanity (if any left).

GC

• Like 8

On 5/3/2024 at 12:22 AM, phrunt said:

They hurt their own Gold Monster and any future VLF gold machine by creating the Equinox 800 and Manticore with Gold Modes, so they are capable of unselfishly damaging sales of other detectors for the customers benefit. 

Someone wanting a general-purpose machine yet still wants to look for gold doesn't need to buy multiple detectors to do so, they can buy the Nox or Manticore and have detectors as good or as I and many others would argue better than the GM1000, and even waterproof for the creek gold hunters.  Even if all I ever looked for was gold, I'd prefer the Nox/Manticore over the GM for numerous reasons.

It's been a long while now and no Gold Monster replacement, I'm wondering if there ever will be as there is far less of a need for one now the multi freakers exist and much harder for them to make something worth buying to someone with a multi already.  They may have accidently killed off dedicated gold VLF's. 

I've been thinking their next gold machine release maybe a VLF, not a new GPZ, but the more I think about it the more I doubt it would be.  I think it will be a lower cost PI to compete with the likes of the Algoforce, pending Nokta PI and at a stretch with its higher price the Axiom Lite....  They just can't leave that part of the market unoccupied by their detectors allowing competitors to build up market share of customers in that price range.  Maybe its' why 5000 stock has suddenly arrived in the US again.

The Aussies never seem too fond of VLF's, I doubt a VLF/PI combo would excite them that much with their bad ground.

Simon, there are quite a few folks that are only interested in Gold.  They want something simple to operate.  The GM1000 fits the bill.  The only thing lacking is submersability.  Still, it's the highest-selling single-frequency Gold Detector here in the US.

• Like 2

All good info seems you are setting it pretty clear to the companies on what we need saved them a bunch of R and D   Hope some one figures it out untill then I need at least a vlf and pi   

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:02 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

That's a fact for certain and I agree 100% my friend.  I do the same in many ore dump piles and hydraulic pits as well. 

Glad to know you are open to a variety of detector tools for some of their capabilities, as many people seem to wear blinders.  I was one who wore such blinders and thought if I ran my big expensive PI over an area, I had no need to go back over with a VLF.  That thinking cost me some amazing missed gold at a few locations.  When in happens 1 or 2 times for a small piece of gold, it's easier to just say "he got lucky".  When it happens more than a few and those are multi ounce $5000+ pieces of gold...It most certainly catches ones attention in a sick feeling bad way.  I learned to accept change and different detector tools for the various kinds of gold out there.

Luckily for me, and even though it was costly error on my part, I learned to take the blinders off.

This "Golden Oreo" was recovered 2018 in old workings full of man-made iron with a VLF using Iron ID and VDI #'s.  I actually started hunting the site in about 20 yrs ago using GP-3000 with very little Success at gold.  Boy did I dig my share of deep iron targets.  This location was one of those that produced 1 decent find for every 5 days of hunting.  I used some of the newer PI's when the GPX series came out and did a little better, but still so much deep iron.  Then when the Equinox came out in 2018 and I learned it's ID system, I knew where I wanted to go. Those same sites have really been "Golden" for me in so many ways.

1MEQC.jpg

1stNugE.jpg

1stNugF.jpg

Interesting! I’ve never understood the reason for putting a nugget/gold in one’s mouth? I definitely wouldn’t do that with some of the ones I find that are encased in arsenopyrite.