Does The Manticore Need Another Update

6 hours ago, UT Dave said:

I really wish the pinpoint volume could be adjusted independently though. 

Yes! A thousand times, yes!!

4 hours ago, fishersari said:

If one day Minelab decide to put a priice on a feature add on like Mineralizations meter with colour graph for USD99, pinpoint volume control for USD15.. would you buy it?

I admit, I’d be willing to pay a fee to add certain features a la carte…I wouldn’t think twice about ponying up $15-20 to add pinpoint volume. $99 might be a little too steep for me for the mineralization meter…but my opinion is skewed because I’m fortunate to have mild soil in my usual detecting areas. Maybe $30 for the monochrome version? 😉 

I know fee structures like that can be a slippery slope though….just look at airlines to see how you can get nickel and dimed for everything!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skate said:

The only thing I would like to see is a tightening of the TID of zinc pennies. I'm currently digging them anywhere between 43-65. This is too broad and wide for a single item. Other than that I'm ok with it. 

Yea, some will go low but my experience with them is 75% of them hit 59-62 because they're fresh drops and the other ones like you are talking about outside that range are very deep and come up looking like they have been down there for an eternity. Caked on sand that you need a chipping hammer to get off and totally green. Those kind will sometimes go high and float up near dime range at 75-80 and fool you into thinking it's a dime. Whenever I see the depth meter showing real deep near the dime range, I start thinking "Could be an old zinc".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skate said:

The only thing I would like to see is a tightening of the TID of zinc pennies. I'm currently digging them anywhere between 43-65. This is too broad and wide for a single item. Other than that I'm ok with it. 

That is an impossibility due to the nature of the beast (zinc penny) I dug one the other day that was in the nickel range 27-28 sounded nice and smooth too...they just degrade too much and maybe the mint has changed the composition of the zinc pennies since they started minting them since around 1982 possibly? 

strick 

• Like 4

On 5/7/2024 at 7:21 AM, strick said:

That is an impossibility due to the nature of the beast (zinc penny) I dug one the other day that was in the nickel range 27-28 sounded nice and smooth too...they just degrade too much and maybe the mint has changed the composition of the zinc pennies since they started minting them since around 1982 possibly? 

strick 

That's what I figured. With my D2 I would always dig the zinc's because once in a while a big gold ring came up. Not on the Manticore so far. 42-62 is almost always a zinc in my parks. I've dug so many I've just decided to walk past them now. I know I'm possibly passing on a gold ring but it beats the wear and tear on my knees. 

• Like 2

Addressing a couple of things brought up here. In mild to medium ground in ATHC zinc pennies are pretty dang solid. 59-60 average. I've hunted some of the mildest ground you could possibly hunt and turning up the sensitivity really has not helped on detecting depth. Hunting silver in basically very fine sand which grounds balances in the single digits I don't see any noticeable depth increases past about 24 to 35. 

16 hours ago, longbow62 said:

Addressing a couple of things brought up here. In mild to medium ground in ATHC zinc pennies are pretty dang solid. 59-60 average. I've hunted some of the mildest ground you could possibly hunt and turning up the sensitivity really has not helped on detecting depth. Hunting silver in basically very fine sand which grounds balances in the single digits I don't see any noticeable depth increases past about 24 to 35. 

How low can you reach in separation under the 4 level?

I mean without falsing at all or at least an acceptable level.

I'd try to slowly go down with separation if such an high sensitivity level doesn't satisfy You.

4 hours ago, Skull diver said:

How low can you reach in separation under the 4 level?

I mean without falsing at all or at least an acceptable level.

I'd try to slowly go down with separation if such an high sensitivity level doesn't satisfy You.

So I have an old school yard in the Mississippi river delta that is very sandy and very mild. The kind of place you get max deprh a detector is capable of. With the 11" coil I basically cleaned it out in ATHC, 4 recovery, and 22-24 sensitivity. I have hit it twice with a 26-28 sensitivity and a recovery of 3. I found no more silver. The silver there is some of the deepest I have ever recovered. To tell the truth I don't like going below a recovery of 4. I just can't jell with it. Jacking up the sensitivity in places with low to moderate trash makes for more head aches in my opinion. I have not tried jacked up sensitivity settings in low to no trash areas where you have zero nails and zero modern trash looking for isolated deep targets. I cannot say it wouldn't be helpful in those situations.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, longbow62 said:

So I have an old school yard in the Mississippi river delta that is very sandy and very mild. The kind of place you get max deprh a detector is capable of. With the 11" coil I basically cleaned it out in ATHC, 4 recovery, and 22-24 sensitivity. I have hit it twice with a 26-28 sensitivity and a recovery of 3. I found no more silver. The silver there is some of the deepest I have ever recovered. To tell the truth I don't like going below a recovery of 4. I just can't jell with it. Jacking up the sensitivity in places with low to moderate trash makes for more head aches in my opinion. I have not tried jacked up sensitivity settings in low to no trash areas where you have zero nails and zero modern trash looking for isolated deep targets. I cannot say it wouldn't be helpful in those situations.

I found for sure that the sweet spot on the sensitivity hides among 20 and 25 points before to get falsing above whispers, making troubles and not helping to decide to dig or not.

As for the lower separation, under the 4 level it seems to increase this feeling too.

The real magic can happens with exaggerated slow coil's motion in places where there's high suspect for targets...On the other hand in this way it takes a life to cover a proper amount of ground😂

• Like 1

The question, does it need another update, I think I am still in the yes category.  Beaver tails are running from 19 to 28 maybe it's like that for everyone ?  If your in an old park passing up beaver tails means loosing any chance of 1 dollar gold and nickels.

Its also amazed at the range of memorial copper pennies, mine are running as high as 85-89.

I have also found a ground balance issue (while using the M8) that I have not heard discussed, let me know if I missed a thread at some point.

Oh and the depth indicator, mine usually shows maxed out on a 6 inch penny or dime ?  Four arrows with a 4 or 5 inch coin?  My ground balance is often under 10 that is mild right?

image.png.03c7d3957f00dfd2ded5f107e2f3e9e7.png

Is it even possible to make an adjustment to tighten the VDI of a particular target without screwing up VDI's of a bunch of other overlapping or nearby targets?

Regarding high VDI readings for 95% copper cents, I suspect that's either the up-averaging of deep targets or running the sensitivity too high for the conditions (e.g. ground mineralization).

On 5/7/2024 at 10:21 AM, strick said:

...(USA zinc cents) just degrade too much and maybe the mint has changed the composition of the zinc pennies since they started minting them since around 1982 possibly?

I'm not aware of any change in composition and there's nothing in the Red Book about it.   They were crap in 1982 and they're crap 42 years later.  Fresh ones should give a tight VDI but as galvanic corrosion kicks in (pretty quickly after they get into the ground), the deterioration just makes the VDI drop.  This was apparently not anticipated by the mint but was noticed soon after the coins were released.  In typical bureaucratic form, they dug in their heals and have kept them (as well as their heads) buried ever since.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1