Hopefully Minelab Gets It Right

Judy

After such a frustrating lead up to the Equinox I think Minelab would want to make sure everything is perfect and no recalls because it would make a lot of people jump ship from Minelab . I have 5 minelab machines and no other brand but if one screw up it will make me unstable on loyalty and I would test other brands . I have too much faith in Minelab and I guess I I am hoping my heart doesn't get broken . 

Being so focused in on ML products you probably have missed 1) the laughably delayed (>2 yrs) version 4 major SW update and Hf coil/pinpointer release for Deus including a bug ridden final release because they lost configuration control of their software file versions, 2) the delay from announced March 17 to actual May 17 for release of the Nokta Impact and 3) the significant delay from announcement to release of the Garrett AT Max.  This is pretty much par for the course for any detector company and in fact I would say that Minelab hasn't actually done a bad job so far since when Equinox was announced at Detectival, Minelab has actually not yet missed an officially announced deadline which is a better track record than these three other detector manufacturers had in 2017.  Any dates that have been missed are unofficial dates that have been thrown out there by dealers AFAICT, which tends to ratchet up the feelings of frustration for promises unfulfilled.  IOW good luck finding significantly better satisfaction from another detector manufacturer, much less, a better product than the Equinox.   Of course now that I have said that, I have sealed Equinox’s fate and it should flame out badly. Lol.  Anyway, just as in detecting itself, patience and healthy skepticism is usually rewarded, it certainly lowers one’s blood pressure and perhaps fends off heartbreak.  Hang in there, Judy.

7 hours ago, Judy said:

After such a frustrating lead up to the Equinox I think Minelab would want to make sure everything is perfect and no recalls because it would make a lot of people jump ship from Minelab . I have 5 minelab machines and no other brand but if one screw up it will make me unstable on loyalty and I would test other brands . I have too much faith in Minelab and I guess I I am hoping my heart doesn't get broken . 

Problems with new machine releases in recent years from all brands have been close to 100% for having some sort of issues or problems. That is why I think new machines should have firmware update capability via the internet. Detectors are complicated enough that some early bugs are almost inevitable, and for early adopters in particular having the firmware update capability is a huge insurance policy. Especially when you consider that new detectors are like computers with operating systems. I am not worried about that aspect of Equinox since it does have the ability to be updated over the internet or at a dealer.

Hardware is a different thing. Hardware issues can only be fixed by returning a detector to a repair facility. Equinox is a fairly simple design physically, which helps eliminate possible hardware issues, but the fact is things like overall waterproof integrity and durability can only be proven by many months, if not years of use.

My personal take looking at Equinox is that Minelab has learned certain lessons. First, machines like the CTX are very expensive to make and not amenable to high speed manufacturing. Equinox as a simple pod on a stick should have very high manufacturing efficiencies that lower cost and improve reliability. The second is that things like removable batteries have always been a problem with waterproof detectors. Even if designed correctly, user error can result in failure, and you know who gets the blame when that happens. The solution is to just eliminate that issue entirely, which Minelab has done with Equinox. Finally, service is likely to be able to be performed at almost any basic facility, with board replacement just a given for internal failures, and pod replacement for more serious failures (leak and flood internals). Half of Minelab's service issues come from having complicated machines that create service issues in the first place, and Equinox is attacking the true cause of Minelabs service problems in the U.S. in particular, by creating an easy to service detector with less likelihood of failure.

If a person does not want to have their heart broken with ANY new detector model by ANY manufacturer, then wait six months to a year after initial release before purchasing. It's not a Minelab thing or a XP thing or a White's thing. It's not even a metal detector thing - it's just a brand new electronic item thing. Early adopters are the final testing ground of any new device.

I have heard today from a mate that he has seen on Facebook by someone that the Equinox is not coming out till late February . Another month . Arrghhh . LOL

Yes I have been guilty of being minelab focused and having them high up on a pedestal . But I need a new coin machine ( actually 12 mths ago I needed one) If it's another month I think I might bite the bullet and get something else because I here another month all the time (I know about Minelabs getting it right ) BUT I can find a lot of money in the mean time  and then if I'm not happy then I can get an Equinox for a birthday present. Sounds good to me ?

35 minutes ago, Judy said:

Yes I have been guilty of being minelab focused and having them high up on a pedestal . But I need a new coin machine ( actually 12 mths ago I needed one) If it's another month I think I might bite the bullet and get something else because I here another month all the time (I know about Minelabs getting it right ) BUT I can find a lot of money in the mean time  and then if I'm not happy then I can get an Equinox for a birthday present. Sounds good to me ?

Thats what Minelab need to think about . People might start shifting to other makes . I can wait but many who need to buy a new machine might not . The Equinox is supposed to be coming to take on the Garrett AT types . 

Are you thinking along the Garrett line ? If so that could be a sale lost to Minelab ?

I don't understand do far minelab has not missed any official date. There was tons of speculation of when it would be released then in dec 21st ml released the info that only 3 weeks ago and the said late January. This February talk is a rumor today nothing from minelab has confirmed that. Secondly, the at pro relase was pushed several times the dues launch was pushed and was a train wreck. So why not wait and see if it comes out on time b4 rushing out an buying a detector that the nox was designed to surpass

I am only passing on what i have heard . My mate says it came from a reliable source , still it might be wrong but we'll see soon enough .

29 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

I am only passing on what i have heard . My mate says it came from a reliable source , still it might be wrong but we'll see soon enough .

Yes your right it maybe hopefully it's a rumor but you never know if minelab pulls off this release without issue it will be the exception not the rule seems like launch usually have issues.

I'm sticking with what Minelab said in theirDecember 23 announcement, and disregarding anything to the contrary that is not coming in the form of an official announcement.