6 hours ago, phrunt said:

My understanding from a programming perspective is there is little point for an update so far, there are no reported software bugs

Sure there are some. For me the most annoying is the Userprofile - f.e.:

There are some other glitches with the Userprofile, which practically render that function unusable for me.

The User Profile thing is a definite bug. Trash overlapping with good stuff - not so much. Every shift of target id numbers to fix one perceived area where there is a problem will probably mess up some other area for someone else. You can’t just program away all undesired stuff magically while retaining the good. Equinox really is not the same as other detectors. It may be things like the $2 Euro deal or bottle caps could be improved on somehow or maybe not. The point I am making is anyone holding their breath hoping for an update to fix whatever.... well, good luck with that.

I do expect there will be an update one of these days, but I could be wrong. My only expectation is that a true bug like the User Profile glitch will be addressed eventually. The rest... doubtful. Again though, just an opinion based on no insider info.

I don’t want to encourage people thinking anything is going to be any much different based on hopes of an update that may or may not occur. If I found Equinox to not suit me for one reason or another I would ditch it and move on, but that’s just me.

• Like 3

I am with you there, Steve. Things like IDs are probably not going to be changed, I am ok with that. But the Userprofile thing has to be addressed, because the product doesn't work as advertised. Imho they should be fast on that one after the delivery disaster .. :happy:

• Like 2

It's probably not possible for firmware updates to improve the operation of the Nox by much--it is what it is and overall is pretty darn good for the money. But it would be nice to get an update to fix the bugs in the pinpointing function--sometimes "sticking" (even when the coil is raised off the ground), and sometimes asymmetry as to axis (pretty good from side to side, but often sounds for long distance from front to back when it shouldn't). I've compared it with the Etrac on the same targets, and the Etrac doesn't do either of these. I suppose the latter problem is due to other objects nearby, but, again, the effect is asymmetrical with the Nox and not seen on the Etrac (even with the slightly larger Ultimate coil), which is better behaved with exactly the same targets. (Could be the Nox stock coil, I suppose;  it will be interesting to see how the Nox behaves with other coils, when they arrive.)

These issues are not deal-breakers by any means but they are enough to make me hold off on buying the 800 (I presently have the 600) even when it is readily available for long enough that, hopefully, Minelab will have fixed the code. Like others, I don't have much faith in Minelab ever providing firmware updates for machines already in the hands of customers, but I expect it will tweak the code as it discovers bugs, with respect to the assembly line.

On 6/10/2018 at 1:23 AM, Dubious said:

sometimes asymmetry as to axis (pretty good from side to side, but often sounds for long distance from front to back when it shouldn't)

A DD coil will naturally not be able to pinpoint along the active region axis because the signal to the coil if the target is ANYWHERE along the active region (front to back on the centerline of the coil) will sound good.  That is how wiggling off the edge as a pinpoint method works.  You know when the signal drops off precipitously then the target is at the edge of the coil (heel or toe) with the center spine pointing at it.  Not sure why the etrac would not behave the same way with a DD coil.