ZED Settings For The Sake Of Discussion

Hehh hehh and I recall someone saying never balance over a target ;)  But I know I'd do it anyway just to see.... gpz has not tracked out yet.

I don't know that the GB procedure locks in its settings for each particular ground mode.  I am more inclined to believe it sets up current conditions for GB at power up and those settings are transferred between modes thru out the session.  I have noted it does take a few seconds to stabilize between modes but after that there's no discernable difference in ground audio from mode to mode.

As to the session I believe that would matter from location to location as the machine keeps the last settings it was in.  Its been noted

that powering off and on in one location typically does not require a rebalancing.

Targets by my definition are metallic items and I would never want to ground balance over a metallic item. Hot rocks and mineralization are just that and the entire goal with a ground balancing detector is to ground balance them out. I will always attempt to use ground balance to solve ground issues first before going to a more aggressive (by way of ground handling) timing or gold mode.

Whether doing a ground balance in all modes at the beginning of the day or individually as a mode is first activated I believe it is a good habit to always propery ground balance. I will let the machine decide what it needs to do at that point.

I noted on other threads where people are concerned about losing accumulated tracking information from doing a reset or even just turning the detector off. I am the exact opposite. At the slightest sign of trouble I will do a reset and rebalance procedure to make sure I am dealing with fresh information applicable to my current circumstances. I always do a reset when moving to a new location. I am more concerned with keeping the ground balance running with minimum aggressiveness and do not want settings from bad ground to carry over into areas of milder ground. Going from mild ground to worse ground it would be less an issue.

One of the habbits I had using a GPX was to do a startup reset every time I went out. Then I would tune the detector using a  test nugget to get the best response for the day.

With the GPZ Im finding myself re-tuning on each new location during the day since its so much faster to get it running the way I like it.

Like you Steve I go after balancing before I start messing with my set up.  :) For me its a habit I developed from the good old days of the 2100.  Hahh!  But then there was simplicity its self though I don't miss being bent over the box 20 times a day ;)  One has to be glad of the little green button later on.  Still even in later models I periodically do a full rebalance during the day.  Always keeps the detector from being to chatty for me. 

I don't expect that the loss of data is an issue with quick track in one location or in multiple modes.  Or using it to test a bit of ground noise but it can soften a good target response.  Rebalance after the test brings the target back up so no worries.

In the other threads its been pointed out that a reset clears all information, quick track clears recent information and power cycling does not affect stored information.  I imagine the last, power cycling, will cause some people problems as I've seen it way to often with mates just picking up their detector and going on without tuning and balancing.  The GPZ wont like that I expect.

JP has repeatedly made a good point about resetting when one thinks things are going pear shaped :) As do you.