My New Years Resolution

I am pretty happy with 2015 looking back so not a whole lot different I plan on doing for 2016. Hopefully more detecting days.

The main resolution for the new year however is a rule to keep a lid on my detector collection. So in 2016 I am only allowed one model from each of the manufacturers at any one time. And before I can get a replacement the existing one has to get sold first. I worked on getting there this year and ended the year where I need to be. The CTX sale (thanks Rob!) at the last second got me to my goal.

Fisher F75 Ltd2
Garrett ATX
Makro Gold Racer
Minelab GPZ 7000
Nokta FORS Gold+
White's V3i
XP DEUS

Out of those I am going to sell the Nokta FORS Gold+ soon as being extraneous to my needs and will wait for the Nokta Impact instead. The F75 I may replace with the F19 or maybe just wait for whatever it is new that Fisher has cooking right now. So my core units starting out for 2016 are the ATX, Gold Racer, GPZ 7000, V3i, and Deus.

I can't honestly say I NEED even this many detectors, but part of the game for me is checking out what new stuff comes along. This rule lets me keep doing that but will prevent me going crazy and loading up with stuff I really do not need. After all, I can only use one at a time, and there is only so much time in every year to go detecting. In any given year just two or three of my detectors see any serious hours of use.

I would be happy to do as well on jewelry and gold nuggets in 2016 as I did in 2015 so the only area I want to focus on a bit more is putting myself on sites where gold coins might be found. Another reason why I got another Deus - for hunting old camps and other habitations from days of old.

• Like 3

I made a resolution 25 years back or so, if the old model has produced enough to get the new model, I get it. Although I am going to break that this year, no way has the Deus paid for the new one but that Ver4 coil is calling. The Z has done that so I`m only manipulating the resolution a wee bit, that should keep the treasurer happy.

Steve

I note you have sold your CTX and I'm presuming in preference to the XP Deus?

If this is the case can you list your views on the pro's and con's of each machine.

I have a CTX and cant seem to get to grips with it as yet and am in two minds as to persevere or go the XP direction. I think the main problem is that I have an ear tuned to more than ten models of XT, SD, GP, GPX and GPZ Minelab machines and cannot seem to retune it to the CTX

Your views, as always, are appreciated

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

A simple fix for every CTX owner is to use Smooth sound setting.  You'll probably keep it.

I can't understand normal sound.

This might save you a bit.

Mitchel

Well, I wish I had a really good reason for you Peter. The fact is I really like the CTX as just a great all around metal detector. The problem for me was it just ran out of its three year warranty and I had hardly used it at all in those three years. I spend 90% of my time nugget detecting. Since I have a GPZ already I figured my Minelab slot was full so let the CTX go. It has been over three years since it came out so a next version CTX will come along one of these days. In the meantime I have the DEUS and others to keep me busy.

DEUS vs CTX big difference obviously in the weight. On the other hand CTX is submersible. The DEUS excels at pulling non-ferrous out of ferrous trash, but is not so hot at working modern trash. The CTX has superb target id capabilities and is an excellent machine for working dense modern trash. The DEUS was made for ancient sites and digging all non-ferrous. The CTX lineage comes more from working urban park settings. The CTX is also hands down the better beach machine.

For the differences in more detail see http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1378-european-detectors-versus-us-style-detectors-on-target-masking/

• Like 1

so the only area I want to focus on a bit more is putting myself on sites where gold coins might be found.

We'll be sure to work on that - I would like to target that as well.

Next Year I am going to spend some time working on Hard rock - making plans to even do some hard rock crushing and processing free gold ores.

I also want to do some video, have been wanting to do that for a couple years. So maybe a video on hard rock gold.

• Like 7

I and my wife have joined a Gem and Mineral club and have signed up for classes to learn more about gem and minerals. Planning more outings to nugget hunt, prospecting for gem and minerals and metal detecting for coins, jewelry and relics. Doing lots of research now and will be ready to hit the ground running when the weather decides to cooperate. 

• Like 1