My 2016 Trip West In Search Of...

Hi Terry

Thanks for the pictures and the story of your trip. It all sounds interesting but like any trip what one plans and the way it went you know may not be the same. You may not have found gold like I'm sure you wanted but gold comes in other forms. There is gold in the people we meet and with the pictures you can sit back to remember it all over again.

Thanks again for taking your time for the show and tell.

Chuck 

• Like 2

You had quite a road trip! Nice story. I'm planning on going to Virgin Valley for opal in future...did you just do the tailings vs digging in the bank? Which mine did you prefer overall? On your next trip, consider Spencer, ID for digging in opal tailings....I found some nice specimens.

• Like 2

Thanks Chuck.  I wasn't terribly disappointed that I didn't find gold.  I had a good time and I wasn't sure when I left that I could even handle all the driving let alone all the other challenges of a long trip. I feel like it made me stronger and helped me jump start some serious goals to get more fit and to eat better.  For what it's worth I am not selling my gold detectors not so much because I didn't find any gold but it's really not practical for me to be trying to gold prospect with the gold fields so far away. If I lived near good gold it would be totally different but I don't.   I'm not wealthy so by selling them I can pay off my cards since with one check a month on retirement I would feel more comfortable with keeping my debts to a minimum than having detectors I would seldom use.  I know I can find gems though so will do that more in the future and keep my 3030 for coin and beach hunting.  I won't say I'm done with gold detecting though but for the near future I'm going another direction.  I talked with Chuck some during my trip and he always gave me good advice.  

Thanks again Chuck.     

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IdahoPeg said:

did you just do the tailings vs digging in the bank?

Thanks Peg.  I just did the tailings.  Since I had no Idea what I was even looking for at the first mine it seemed the wiser choice and of course was the cheaper choice.  The 2 boys I mentioned found more than anyone did and they were of course digging in the tailings.  In my non-expert opinion if you know what you are looking for and want a large Black Opal the Royal Peacock holds some promise  but it's a crapshoot.  

Actually I don't know of any mine actually called the Virgin Valley.  However the valley were the Royal Peacock and several other mines are located is called the "Virgin Valley".  I liked the Rainbow Ridge better overall than the Royal Peacock which is probably the most famous mine in the Virgin Valley.  The owner of the Rainbow Ridge mine was ultra nice too and very helpful.  I also found lots of what some called opalized wood.  It was hard as a rock and if you bumped it against another piece of petrified wood it would "tink", as if you were bumping 2 pieces of porcelain or glass together.  Whatever mine you choose check out the camping area as you enter the Virgin Valley as it's free and they have a pool of sorts, showers and of course campsites and flush toilets and it's all free!  I couldn't believe it.  Was a nice surprise.

Terry

• Like 2

Thanks Beatup.  

A little more on Sunstones.  On my way to the Sunstone Free collection area I met a couple leaving.  They showed me their Sunstones and passed on some info as to how to best get there.  They also mentioned that a German Jeweler had been to the Spectrum Sunstone mine the day they were there.  He had traveled all the way from Germany to take Sunstones back with him as they are more valuable in Europe than in the US.  As I previously mentioned I had been to the Free collection area but I also visited the Spectrum mine.  There was a pretty young lady there that assists you.  They also have a selection of cut and Fauced Sunstones for sale.  They make really beautiful jewelry.  Attached is a close up of one cut and fauceted  I bought my wife though the picture doesn't really do it justice.  They sparkle like a diamond and can be found in variations of different colors.  I suggest going to the Free collection area first and pick up some free ones but I think it's also worth while to Check out the spectrum mine.  There are restrooms and sheltered picknick  tables at the free collection area.  

Terry

Sunstone 3 cropped.JPG

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, matt said:

I really enjoyed reading this. It inspires me to plan a trip there with my kids.

Your kids will really love it Matt.  Even old, big kids love it.  :biggrin:

Terry… thanks ever for a comprehensive description of your lengthy trip out west… in fact it would be a lifetime experience for the wife and me. You certainly covered a lot of territory and were involved in a number of activities over a fairly short timespan…quite remarkable really… and the way you related everything was the next best thing to actually having been there with you. 

I think those Sunstones are uniquely alluring even in an uncut state, and your helpful information about the collecting sites will definitely bolster our future plans to visit those areas. Congratulations on a successful and enjoyable trip, and again, thankyou for sharing your thoughts and illustrative photos with us.

Jim & Joanne  

• Like 1