"Iron Bias" What Is It?

Guest Tnsharpshooter
20 minutes ago, steveg said:

Filter setting? 

Can you elaborate?  "Filter" is a term I hear used a lot by old timers, but I don't really know what "filtering" means, other than processing of the return signal in various ways, for various purposes...

Steve

I am only guessing.

The bias setting could do some thing similar like Silencer setting does on Deus.

I won't go into detail here as far as what Deus behavior is with various silencer settings.

It could be a waste of time.

The bias setting may be some thing totally different.

30 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Ha. Everyone was shining the bright light on Gold Mode and the other new mode descriptions, of course we latched on to that diversion.  Lol.

I only noticed it when I was reviewing the guide again to recount the 600 vs. 800 feature deltas.

Can I get a gold flake star on my forehead for being the first to notice.  Lol.

You get one from me, anyway, Chase!  LOL!  Nice catch!

Steve

• Haha 1

While, tnss, this IS an Equinox thread, I'd still be interested in hearing a brief description of what the "silencer" does, on the Deus.  While this setting on the Equinox may be NOTHING like the Deus "silencer," I think there's at least some chance it could possibly have a similar function, being that the Deus is one of the targeted competitors.

I'm curious...

Steve

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Alright Steve,

This description here not scientific.

Silencer setting seems to effect Deus discrimination to some degree.

Bottlecaps can be broken with higher level silencer like 4 setting, lower settings bottlecaps' tones sound pretty good on Deus especially using higher freqs.

Silencer setting low like 0 or -1 settings, causes some iron to sound sparky, give high tone glints.  But if a person chooses to run higher silencer to eliminate these, as far as unmasking and separating, a user of Deus could miss a nonferrous find.  So another area silencer affects.

Next silencer setting (lower) allows Deus to give tone, or fuller tone (less broken) on nonferrous targets in higher minerlized soil.  Reactivty setting on Deus is linked to silencer function.  Now this is not to say  (depending on soil minerlization levels) a nonferrous target won't have a broken or more corrupt signal provided.  Depth, size of target, etc can drive this, but lowest silencer -1 setting is odds on favorite to give best achievable signal.

Sweep speed with higher silencer could be more critical vs lower/lowest silencer setting- depending on detecting scenario target wise.

Silencer setting, acts like it is opening eye of detector more with lowest setting.

OK, tn, so would it be correct to say that it's sort of a "fine tuning" of the discrimination, down in the iron ID area?  In other words, more "resolution" or "control" or "precision" with respect to exactly how much you disc. out the iron, versus letting a partially masked non-ferrous target "bleed through?"  Or is it just a more artificial audio "enhancement" of sorts...do you know?

Steve

17 minutes ago, steveg said:

OK, tn, so would it be correct to say that it's sort of a "fine tuning" of the discrimination, down in the iron ID area?  In other words, more "resolution" or "control" or "precision" with respect to exactly how much you disc. out the iron, versus letting a partially masked non-ferrous target "bleed through?"  Or is it just a more artificial audio "enhancement" of sorts...do you know?

Steve

Silencer is def a target signal processing filter vs. a pure audio signal mask like notch.  What is weird is that XP tied it to the Deus reactivity setting (XP speak for recovery speed).  I don’t know if there is something to take away from the proximity of the Equinox iron bias setting to the recovery speed setting on the guide.

I’m guessing iron bias on the Equinox is more about mitigating iron wraparound and the tendency for big iron, especially flat and/or round big iron to ring up high.  But a silencer like iron reject filter that compliments discrimination is also a possibility.  

Guest Tnsharpshooter

All I can say, it seems to let Deus peek better. Not really tied to disc.  Tied to reactvity setting.

Could a higher disc be run on Deus and lower silencer help a target's signal? Maybe

But this is maybe splitting hairs.  

Strange thing is XP denotes lowest setting as -1 setting not a 0 setting.  Now you will hear some folks refer to filter off on Deus being  -1 setting.  Question is, is this really true?

How would a person know exactly?

Disc mode itself means filtering of some sort going on vs True AM.

I'm trying to put this together in my head a bit.  I may be way off here, but...

I'm going to "think out loud."  Consider say the CTX.  Instead of the normal 0-99 ID scale, where on a normal single freq. VLF unit both a steel bottle cap AND a quarter might read "89," we know that the CTX uses FE and CO numbers.  On this type of "scale," thanks to the FBS multi-frequency ability, a quarter and a steel bottle cap both might register "46" on the CO scale, but the quarter should read "12" FE, while the nail might read "35."  So, Minelab "does some things" in FBS that allow that different, additional "read" of the target to occur -- instead of one digit, there are two, one giving more of the "Ferrous reading," and the other the "Conductive."  And as such, steel bottle caps are "not a problem" on a CTX -- even though on a single freq. VLF they can be.

Now, many of us have wondered why the Equinox went back to simple, single-digit CO numbers, and some have speculated that a 2-D, FE/CO readout and 2-D screen might be something to be included on a later "flagship" Equinox 1000 or something.  BUT -- here's what I am pondering.  I wonder if perhaps this "Iron Bias" adjustment might be using sort of that "2-D" approach, but in a "behind the scenes" way?  In other words, while we don't get to directly SEE the "FE/CO" info, I would expect it's still "in there" and "available;" after all, Multi-IQ IS Minelab multi-frequency (LOL), and I fully expect that Multi-IQ can "do the same thing," in terms of exploiting the FE and CO information from the receive signal.  SO -- maybe this "Iron Bias" adjustment will allow us to utilize what the machine already "knows" as far as an "FE" reading on a target?  Maybe it is allowing us to "tune out," say, a steel cap, USING the same information inside the machine as what would be displayed as an "FE" number on a CTX?  In other words, maybe it's the equivalent of applying "discrimination" to the "FE number" of a target whose FE number we aren't getting to see directly...

This is just complete pondering and speculating on my part, and I don't even know if I was clear enough in my description of my thoughts for anyone to even understand.  But, I'm wondering...   This has me intrigued.

Steve

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Another thing to consider here as far as the iron bias.

Comparing the 800 model to 600 model, one will notice the different span of setting here on the 800 vs the 600 model.

So, question are these settings the (0-3) the same actually performance effect wise between the 2 models the same, or is the span with each model reflected different with the 800 model allowing for more fine tuning (more in between settings from highest to lowest)?

Or does the 800 model offer actually 5 additional settings (higher) here over the level 3 setting for actual effects the 600 model doesn't?

These questions not directed to host here.

Pondering questions is all.

I would bet it's gonna be very similar to the "Silencer setting" on the Deus.

I always wished for a wider range of it on the Deus. I see so many people don't use the Silencer but there are many times that it can help to "clear up" a signal.

Just another plus for this new machine.