My First Impressions And Relic Hunting Potential

Mtwolf2270

7 hours ago, Mtwolf2270 said:

Are you not doing well in Culpeper with it? again not compared to a gpx that's apples and oranges. Compared to other vlfs 

Have not been up there yet. The real problem is not so much the red clay but the bedrock. When the bedrock gets close to the surface it has a negative effect on VLF detectors. I have a large piece down in the garage. When you place a good target on it and sweep it turns the signal to iron. I will try to locate it and test the Changer . The next time I go up to Culpeper. I will do a few tests. Regards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

When you place a good target on it and sweep it turns the signal to iron.

Welcome to nugget detecting George. I have seen gold nuggets sitting in plain view read as ferrous. Scary stuff and why all nugget hunters that know the game are extremely skeptical of discrimination in any form. The battle cry is “Dig It All”! On the other hand it is hard to get some nugget hunters to understand that digging everything is often not an option. So what to do?

Multi-IQ is doing something different with gold in mineralized ground. It packs more power than it should. The extreme coil edge sensitivity to shallow low conductors like foil is a side effect of this. The small coil will put Equinox solidly in the ranks of dedicated gold prospecting detectors.

• Like 2

Just east of Culpeper is a hamlet called "Goldvein".  Culpeper was at the regional heart of Virginia peak gold mining/production when Virginia was the third highest producing gold state in the country along Virginia Gold-Pyrite belt.  Hence, the source of the hot soil conditions in the area making it very hard using traditional VLF technologies to recover artifacts from the tens of thousands of CW soldiers who stayed in winter encampments and fought battles there.  So in a sense, when you are relic hunting in the Culpeper Virginia area, you are looking for keepers under traditional "nugget hunting" conditions and why GPX PI detectors and VLF detectors running in "gold" modes or at higher frequencies tend to have success.