Nugget For Sale

Headed out for breakfast in town this morning and stopped in a local antique shop first. Looking around and saw this nice little nugget for sale in one of the cases. Thought I would post a picture for a little Friday inspiration.

post-618-0-92874300-1432926950_thumb.jpg

Wow, what is that about 2100.00 per once. Maybe they don't check the gold prices or is that nugget value?

Ivan

yes, nugget value although Im not certain if there is any standard. I guess the bigger and more unusual the bigger the factor, but I'm certain others on this forum are much better versed than me on this subject. 

Remember  ... you can ask what you want but a good buyer will not pay THAT price.  Walk in with cash on the right day and who knows what they will take for 'common, impure (50%??, 60% at best??? :rolleyes: ) gold from Australia where they have been finding lots of it lately' dah, dah, dah ... you have to 'beat up' the seller.

I think with Fred's knowledge he could buy that nugget for less than half the asking price!

An antique dealer without knowledge can be shown the error of their pricing by a professional.

Yes, if someone pays that for it, that is what it is worth to them, and good on the seller for value adding. Looking at the photo it looks like it is a piece that could have come from NQ OZ, (into the dolly pot), would be interesting to know roughly where it came from in OZ.

beside the gold value the nugget is worth whatever the seller can get and the buyer wants to pay...I would not be buying Oz gold from an antique dealer in Santa Clara....

Fred, you are so right. the nugget would have to be something very special... like one of Steve's great finds before it would have any personal meaning. I did buy a 9 gram spongy test nugget from a gold dealer at around spot and it has no special feeling for me, I like the little 1/2 gram i found while blowing two tires much better. 

not that it makes any difference, my art studio is in Santa Clara, the antique store was in Los Gatos, I live just a little way up the hill in the next town over. It is one of the better shops (antiques) I've seen in years with a lot of very nice stuff, but I like the junk shops too.

Clark

Off the subject a little. It hardly looks like a USA map to me. But I do think I see Albert Einsteins profile at the top of the nugget.... :)

strick

• Like 1

Crickey!! That`s relativity for you. :rolleyes:

Nuggets are natures art. Beauty - and value - are in the eye of the beholder.

My starting price for all gold I sell is $2000 oz and it all eventually sells for that or more. Or I don't sell it. Having sold a lot of gold I can tell you a nugget you think is ugly another will think a real beauty so you never know.

If you want to buy gold, buy a gold coin or gold bar. The price of gold has a direct relationship there. But for nuggets it is a loose connection.

In Alaska, when gold prices are high, miners are producing lots of nuggets. The premium between the gold price and nugget price narrows. When the price of gold drops, fewer nuggets enter the market, so the premium actually increases.

• Like 1