Important Announcement From White's Electronics

1 hour ago, Knomad said:

The upgrades I had in mind are not generally software, and would give reasons to stay with the brand until the new models keep them.

And the price of Robotics has come WAY down so production could greatly improve with low investment.

As for no politics on the site, those were Facts regarding the politics of manufacturing , not politics for politics.

SO, I guess No One has Contacts that have funds and like a Good Noble Challenge.?

Oh for gosh sakes, you are just a nameless person with seven posts on the forum. This is your idea on how to go about raising money as a serious business proposition... issuing silly challenges? Yeah, I have the contacts and could raise the money, but luckily I‘ve also got some sense. Enough to know you don’t tell the guy running the forum what the ground rules are. And certainly enough to run that show myself if I thought it worth the money and effort, which I do not. If I did want a partner, I’d be seeking one with the resources to put their own skin in the game. Offering to use other people’s money is no offer at all where I come from.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just received this email! Important Information from White's Electronics June 18, 2020 To our valued

This was very unexpected, I thought they had another 5 years just coasting. White's had a lot of problems, but I gotta say that in all the jobs I've had the past 40 years, the 6 with White's was by fa

There were a lot of problems, starting with the family. They never had a high opinion of engineers and thought they could be easily replaced as needed. And one particular engineer with an outsized ego

Posted Images

In a perfect world it's a nice dream, but like many here we have invested $$$$ and thousands of hours in testing White's products already so the willingness to invest even more is at an all time low. This is your dream not ours and I wish you luck.

This video from a competitor shows what modern manufacturing is like, how real it is that this is XP's factory I don't know

and then a White's factory tour.

Unless times have changed at Garrett since 2014 a Garrett Factory tour, I am betting Garrett has had a lot of changes since this video was made.

And an old Tesoro factory tour video, you'll notice the White's factory isn't all that different to Tesoro who has already fallen.

Upgrading manufacturing facilities can't be cheap, and to be able to do it you'd need to be selling a reasonable amount of detectors to make it viable.  When I worked at an electronic manufacturing business they reached a point where they had to decide if they wanted to stay in the position they were in or loan money and expand, they'd reached capacity of what they could do with their current facilities however the cost of expansion was too high for the owner to justify it, he chose to stay with the status quo and continue on as is even though he had the market, was the most popular place around, it turned out to be the wrong decision as others came into the market over time and took over.  This to me sounds a bit like White's, they were popular detectors and in their day selling very well, but over time the sales fell away with other competitors in the market and then with dwindling sales limiting funds it was too hard to recover.   

What you're asking Knomad is someone come in and fund it,  you'll help run it with them taking all the risk so you can rekindle and old flame you had with White's detectors and fulfil a dream you've got.  I think that's very unlikely.  If you were footing the bills and needed someone to run it, that's more likely.

I really like watching these factory tour videos and that's the primary reason for my post, good viewing 🙂

• Like 6
8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I really like watching these factory tour videos and that's the primary reason for my post, good viewing 🙂

👏that's a quality post there.  Thanks for sharing the videos.  They really highlights the gulf between the manufacturing facilities. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Knomad said:

The upgrades I had in mind are not generally software, and would give reasons to stay with the brand until the new models keep them.

And the price of Robotics has come WAY down so production could greatly improve with low investment.

As for no politics on the site, those were Facts regarding the politics of manufacturing , not politics for politics.

SO, I guess No One has Contacts that have funds and like a Good Noble Challenge.?

Here’s a noble challenge for you.  Perhaps these guys can use an intrepid idea guy such as yourself...

28 minutes ago, havingstl said:

👏that's a quality post there.  Thanks for sharing the videos.  They really highlights the gulf between the manufacturing facilities. 

Too bad the First Texas Factory Tour  is offline. Their new facility is really impressive. You see stuff like that, or the XP or Minelab facilities, and reality sinks in about the Sweet Home facility.

• Like 1

Seeing that video of Whites really brings home what a tiny company they actually were. Makes their accomplishments even more impressive, too.

Jim

• Like 2

Surely one of the many Minelab technicians at their computers would have been busted playing Call of Duty.

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Knomad said:

Knomad, you have a pretty simplistic view of what it would take revive White's. Automating some of the production will do nothing to make them more competitive; actually, even with some pretty run-down facilities and lack of cutting edge production methods White's could hold its own against the competition, at least where production costs and product quality were concerned.

What White's failed to grasp is the importance of engineering. There was a long history of chasing talent out the door which resulted in a discontinuity of critical information. If you were to buy White's today, where would you get any engineers to design new products? They're all long gone, and you can't just go out and hire experienced metal detector engineers. I used to tell the White's it takes 2-3 years for a new engineer to get up to speed on the nuances of metal detector design, especially anything high-end. They didn't listen.

The best hope for White's is what happened to Fisher... some existing detector company buys the name and the designs, and continues a few of the better models under the White's brand. Anything else makes no sense.

• Like 7

I'm sure you are correct,

My suggestions are to bring in at least enough income to survive Via service and accessories and minor products while pursuing new technologies,  I for one have worked for big corporations and as you may already know it is OFTEN hard to get Non Engineers in Management  to take the time To Tinker With TRULY New Ideas, and corporate structures often feed into that by basing Management compensations like bonuses on Short Term Profits, so they resist investing in the future because it hits their bonuses Now,  but one or two out of the box thinking Engineers can make a company if not a whole new industry.!

Frankly I am not seeing but a very few if any product from Anyone that is Truly New Technology.

Engineers Need Free Rein as much as possible to tinker with that Crazy out of the box idea that pops into their head.!!

I am a self taught engineer myself, but know I lack training that would be helpful and am now too old to pursue, but that gives me perspective Outside The Box of A True Engineer, and my guess is a True Engineer that has been forced to work in a box would Love a chance to escape and truly create instead of working on Value Engineering while Bored To Death.!