1 in 30 are not good numbers Joe. Why do you think this is ? I know luck plays a part , but I gotta think the guys that join you are fairly experienced. Could it be the equipment ? Do they use 1 of your modded detectors , bring their own ? I would think you hunt fairly close together , so location shouldn't matter. I've experienced the same when I bring guys with me many times. It's weird. I think it's just a "feeling" you get being intune with everything. In the zone I guess. But maybe you are like Steve Austin , the bionic man  , with supersonic hearing with those headphones you got !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

1 in 30 are not good numbers Joe.

(I'm not Joe, but...)  It sounds like you think detecting is easy.  Lots of parallels, but consider playing a guitar.  Not too difficult to dip your toe in the water (bad cliche'? :biggrin:) and learn a few chords.  Wanna be Mark Knopfler?  Better have a lifetime to hone your craft, and maybe then some.

Twelve years (six part time) is pretty amazing, but it shows that diligent research, good sites, good health, hard work, and the right attitude (can't minimize this part) delivers.  Impressive, Joe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

(I'm not Joe, but...)  It sounds like you think detecting is easy.  Lots of parallels, but consider playing a guitar.  Not too difficult to dip your toe in the water (bad cliche'? :biggrin:) and learn a few chords.  Wanna be Mark Knopfler?  Better have a lifetime to hone your craft, and maybe then some.

Twelve years (six part time) is pretty amazing, but it shows that diligent research, good sites, good health, hard work, and the right attitude (can't minimize this part) delivers.  Impressive, Joe.

What I'm getting at is : you bring 30 guys out to detect at 1 of your spots over time. Only 1 can really do decent. I'm just wanting to know why is all. For me , detecting is fairly easy. Probably because I've done it awile. Finding gold these days on the other hand , is not. And I would much rather play guitar like EVH. Not Knopfler !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

What I'm getting at is : you bring 30 guys out to detect at 1 of your spots over time. Only 1 can really do decent. I'm just wanting to know why is all. For me , detecting is fairly easy. Probably because I've done it awile. Finding gold these days on the other hand , is not. And I would much rather play guitar like EVH. Not Knopfler !

Most I bring along have been hunting many years...So they have the latest detectors but i would call some fresh drop hunters.......their were a few I did bring that knew what to listen and how to hunt very good but not being in their comfort zone, places they know really makes it harder. Jim in Ma is one, that's on here, very good hunter..(Mike Rocked that day on Jim's visit, I struck out) Then... I've had Casper along also, most of the New England hunters know very well what I am speaking of..it more or less the guys that hunt the ocean..walk out and dig hunter that have a hard time. It's just a different type of hunting then they are use to...You put me on one of your beach's and I would be lost and only able to find gold if I got my coil over it...

It would take a book to explain but a short answer would be, you can't just walk out and expect to find any targets here. You have to know what to slow down and listen for..then you have no clue where it will be on this 1000 foot by 900 foot out stretch in the water...and it is possible there maybe a open area then there may not be. Targets are going to be signals that are so faint you really have to listen...Then you add in the water conditions, winds and other noise........

The "one" ..........Mike Guard does Very well also, we speak the same language when it comes to hunting the bay...I see Jimpugh posted some words I really recognized...Ghost signals...signals you really have to say..was that a signal? That's what we listen for...because there are no others.

Let me find a post by a hunter I took before...40 plus years of hunting experience..he was ready and pumped up......went home with a nickel and a sunburn.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

It really does sound like your being "one" with the area you hunt! There are those i know of on the Treasure Coast that are like that! They just know when and where the fleet treasure is; and what it takes to find it!  And it's more than just knowing the wreck locations! That is common knowledge here! Beach dynamics, and wind play a huge part!  I know of a few places where there is literally treasure under my feet, but not only is it impossible to get to without very expensive equipment, but also not legal due to treasure leases!

Keep up the finds, and the stories! Love to hear about your successes, and experiences!👍👍

• Like 1

Here is my buddy Tom..Great ocean hunter. Found one of the biggest gold rings I've ever seen 103 grams 14k a few years ago in OC... He came for a visit in 2015, we had a great time...40 years of hunting experience with hundreds of rings found during those year. And keep in mind he hunts the ocean..OC Md.. He was out of his territory...So he had a hard day in the bay...Picture is my hunt..

OBN-000.jpg

OBN-0001 (2).jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

It really does sound like your being "one" with the area you hunt! There are those i know of on the Treasure Coast that are like that! They just know when and where the fleet treasure is; and what it takes to find it!  And it's more than just knowing the wreck locations! That is common knowledge here! Beach dynamics, and wind play a huge part!  I know of a few places where there is literally treasure under my feet, but not only is it impossible to get to without very expensive equipment, but also not legal due to treasure leases!

Keep up the finds, and the stories! Love to hear about your successes, and experiences!👍👍

That is so true, I'm very blessed to have the sense of where to look and what to listen for at the beach's I hunt. I can't tell you how many  times I 've taken others......... they may pull up something like a lead toy or something that tells me that area has potential. My next trip back with out them I'll get in there and get gold. 

Last year I took my friend Mark to a spot, put him in where I had found old coins and told him I was going looking around. So I went out deep and just searching found a few silver coin........ Unfortunately....Mark found nothing but junk. The next day I took Mr Ed...Same place...turned him loose and said I'm going deep to look around....Poor Ed found less then Mark..I got a few more silver coins and a gold band. It hit me then I was onto something, And I would go back the very next good lowtide...That Sunday all looked good...and it was the start of a 36 gold ring July 2019..As of this past March the 13th I had got over 130 gold rings from that spot...Boom..... storm comes in around March 15th, I think..Gone...It was great while it lasted. This spot I really went out of my way to hide..The gold was fairly shallow...And hopefully someday in my life it will open again.....Now I have the AQ, see how that goes this winter.

• Like 5

On 8/17/2020 at 9:44 AM, King-Of-Bling said:

I've experienced the same when I bring guys with me many times. It's weird. I think it's just a "feeling" you get being intune with everything. In the zone I guess. But maybe you are like Steve Austin , the bionic man  , with supersonic hearing with those headphones you got !

I think your correct, Feel, connection, in the zone, knowledge of.....not sure what you would call it but it does make a big difference. Seems here every beach is different but can show the same characteristic from time to time. So you have to go in with the mind set of what you know and ready to learn more. Like my friend Tom said, there is a Art to it.

• Like 1