I love that chart KAC!, I am getting a lot of data, and probably a bad idea trying to keep it in my memory banks... they aren't what they used to be. Haha.  

Pen and paper next time out!

Yes, the Vaquero is going to get a work out on this site.  If nothing else, it is great on eliminating iron falling, good thought on the pin point trick for co-located targets.  

This area has definitely been picked... I looking for the squeaker someone left behind.  

Thanks Kac!,

24 minutes ago, kac said:

I did do a mask ID test and posted my results here:

Tim

• Thanks 1

I realize I promised not to bore you all with "non-quest" finds... but I wanted to share this one (a few actually).  As I mentioned, I'm taking advantage of this site to dust off many of my detectors after having spent almost all my time with the Equinox since I received it a few years back. 

So yesterday morning I set out with my Explorer SE Pro/stock Pro Coil for a few hours.  Interestingly, I did find a clad quarter that was significantly co-located with trash, near a tree, but the Explorer gave me blip of a high squeak, and only in one direction... but narrowing my swing to about a 2" wiggle, I was able to see the quarter signal repeated.  Pinpointing it was impossible, as larger lower conductors were dragging my point off to the side of the tone... and in more than one direction... targets that were stronger within a 6" circle of where I wiggled the high tone to be.  I wondered about coil edge falsing, or the lower conductor throwing off a high tone with rust and such... but the tone was really sweet when I could find it.  Even my pro-pointer set to 1 was getting dragged off center as I pulled the plug.  Anyway, cleared several pieces of trash between 3" and 6" around my "center", and was still getting a pointer signal at the bottom of my initial plug.  Out of curiosity, I stood up and re-swept... and there was no doubt this time... it was a quarter signal.  As much as I was hoping it would be silver... especially all masked as it was... I was only slightly let down to find it clad at about 7".

Moving away from the tree in a line toward the open area of the field, I received another high tone blip, this one more faint, and was able to easier make it repeatable and also pinpoint.  I dug my plug, and had to stand up and re-sweep several times (3 I think) to ensure I was still getting a signal.  It was reading in the 07-27/07-28 range on the TID for those of you that know the Explorer TID's.  It was still there, but I wasn't getting anything with the pointer (at this point set back to 3).  Finally, I got pointer signal, and spent some more time clearing dirt.  The pic below is hard to tell, but my hand is well above the end of my pointer, and probably about an inch above the Lesche... trying to indicate ground level.  I estimate this was 11" to 12" deep.  Wheat (I believe 1910, but need to soak it in olive oil to see if I can get some of the crust off the date area).  About 3 more steps, and I had another almost identical situation, with a 1920 wheat... this one at 10"-11".

20210221_114603.thumb.jpg.d0c2932757c355b9d5dbe56f928f3927.jpg

So based on my small sample size (too small to make it an expectation... but a start) based on these three targets... clad is at 7", pre-clad is 10+".  BTW, I was running manual sens 22 on the Explorer.  

I hope to head back over there today after work with the Equinox.

Thanks for reading and all your suggestions everyone.  

~Tim.

• Like 3

Update on my Quest.  I spend a few hours this morning at the old school grounds, and after finding a few more Wheats (50's), I was fortunate enough to make a Quest find.

I pulled two bent nails on my way down, but finally made it about 10" down to the target...

20210227_114920.thumb.jpg.dec13e36e9ff97258cf70bce314aaf83.jpg

Pretty crusty, not able to make out a date... but a buffalo.

884905282_2021Quest.thumb.png.851ec7d2099056c94b4d2d5122f354a5.png

~Tim

• Like 4

Just saying... these copper 'asbestos roof tile pegs' are the devil.  They sound SOOOO GOOOOD at 8"!!!

20210302_094404.thumb.jpg.c7ee001682642200879aae2559a4f94d.jpg

I have about 15 in my collection now.  😄

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Just saying... these copper 'asbestos roof tile pegs' are the devil.  They sound SOOOO GOOOOD at 8"!!!

Those look familiar -- meaning I've found some too, but I don't remember which site (likely one of two).  Also, I didn't know what they were other than figuring they had something to do with construction, based upon where I found them.  So good on you for figuring out their usage.  I vaguely recall the shank having a 90 degree bend.  Does that ring a bell?  The shank on yours appears to have been straightened.

There are several construction item targets that sound good for the most part.  Roofing nails are another one.  So are the thick washer-like lead seals that are used under the heads of certain types of roofing nails.  I think those are for sheet metal roofs.

Maybe a well-trained ear can figure a lot of these out, the ones that contain iron, anyway.  And maybe this is another case where properly tuned Iron Bias can help.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Those look familiar -- meaning I've found some too, but I don't remember which site (likely one of two).  Also, I didn't know what they were other than figuring they had something to do with construction, based upon where I found them.  So good on you for figuring out their usage.  I vaguely recall the shank having a 90 degree bend.  Does that ring a bell?  The shank on yours appears to have been straightened.

From what I recall, the tacks actually fit on the roof flat side down, and the peg stands upright, to lock in the overlapping roof tile.  I think the bend is to "crimp" them down after the peg goes through the hole on the tile.  I have found some ripped tiles around that area too... and as I mentioned on that lid thing... due to the age of the building that was there.... the tiles are most likely asbestos.  The ones that I have found (each one more disappointing than the last... haha.) have varying degrees of bends... some at 90 as you suggested.  Probably depends on how much attention to detail the roofer had when installing them.  

• Like 1

Well. Not exactly what I had in mind... maybe this is worth a 1/2 check mark for the tally board...

20210306_103256.thumb.jpg.eb4f25650620249b1508d362f65d50ae.jpg

I was getting some solid tones but bouncing around between 10 and 15 and at 4-6"...dug a plug.  I cleared some can slaw and a pull tab in the same plug/hole.  Re-swept the hole and got a repeatable 12-13 - 5" War Nick.  

• Like 2

862446908_2021Quest.thumb.png.7806b09527e175c4e48a2049b960ed76.png

1052470429_20210307_1341051458.thumb.jpg.1509025690a1c2daed69f5d20581886f.jpg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Half way there already !

Honestly, I thought the silver coin from this location would be my last to check off the list... this place has definitely been cherry picked over and over through the years before I happened onto it.  But I have a nice collection of pull tabs and ring pulls already... so the nickels and IHP are in there... just have to get down to them. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Condor
      Another forum member and I decided to explore some new ground about 80 miles from home in Sunny Yuma.  We were working off some of the old USGS pubs for ideas on new areas or at least new areas to us.  We set off yesterday exploring offroad in the RZR for these extinct placer works.  The first 2 locations really did not look like gold producing areas and we couldn't find any evidence of old workings.  Abandoning that area we just started driving some of the old tracks looking for evidence of placer works.  By early afternoon we had about decided to give up when I spotted a new, bright yellow claim sign down the end of a wash.  We drove down there to see what was the ground looked like.  A quick hike revealed the claim owners were drywashing a small gully to bedrock fairly recently.  We decided to take an adjacent wash and see if we could find similar looking ground.  We drove to the end of the wash and although it was getting late in the day we set off to explore the zone about 1/2 mile from the other claim.  There was no sign of placer works in a series of desert washes with shallow bedrock.  About 30 minutes in, I get a decent target sound and started digging.  My friend ended up in the same gully and came up as I was digging.  We got to bedrock and using a pinpointer found a small nugget.  He went on while I finished up.  I swept the hole one last time and got another tone.  To make a long story tolerable, I found 4 nuggets in the same hole.  I got another couple tiny nuggets on the way back to the RZR, he got 1.  
      We hit it again today trying to expand on our search.  I found a decent nugget right off, then nothing for the next hour.  We met up to compare notes, he had found 1 as well.  We split up again and not 50 yds away I got a good tone right next to a bedrock dropoff.  I dug for close to 45 minutes pulling 8 small nuggets out of the same hole.  I found nothing else the rest of the day.  He found a spot that produced 3 nuggets in the same hole and a spot that produced 2 nuggets in the same hole.  It's not unheard of that certain conditions concentrate the nuggets in a favorable spot.  But, the rest of the wash was apparently barren.  I supposed if we dug through the overburden there might be more small nuggets on bedrock, but that's like working.  
      We were in essence "blue sky" detecting, not having any specific knowledge about the area.  Here in Yuma you can't find a desert wash that hasn't been drywashed, so you have a clue that gold has been found before.  Out there, there were no clues to previous gold finds or what might be gold producing areas.  So we were lucky, or as Louis Pasteur said "Luck favors the prepared mind".  Hard work and persistence paid off this time.  
      It's the possibilities that keep us going, not the probabilities.  
      I'm not computer literate enough to fix these angles, Steve H will step in at some point and make them more viewable.  2.38grams is yesterdays single hole.  2.78 is yesterdays total.  2.52 is todays from a single hole.  1.10 is the lonesome nugget I found this morning.   The scoop in the hole shows the glory hole of 8 nuggets.  The other photos are both our nuggets from today on the tailgate of my truck.  I don't have a weight on his nuggets.  

• By vanursepaul
      Dam Aussies wont let me in yet......... bugger all...
      Starting from Big Spring TX (dust storm central today) and heading west on I-20 to I-10 then thru New Mexico and im pretty sure I will be slowing down as I go thru AZ----- 
      then either on to LA via Rand quad or sweep up thru Vegas and on to, tri-tip Luckys Cold Springs Hideout---- then take a left over the pass and on in to Porta-toilet where Sourdough Scott hangs out so i can pick up a jar of relish!!!!!---- next would be a refreshment stop in Quincy area to see a few old mates---- then on the Redding area,  and over the hill to Eureka- then North to Alaska.....
      YOU HAVE ALL BEEN FORE-WARNED..... use your due diligence to decide if you want to be in those areas.....hahahahahaha.🤣😂🤠

• By Dances With Doves
      Back when  Palladium was around $400 a man   lost his almost 20 gram ring with stones in a shallow  bay on a  Finger Lake.He called the club and my buddy called me and we made the half hour drive to the spot.He did not know  where he lost it in this about 20 acre  cove.Armed with my 5by8 coil on My At gold I got a most unusual sound and  scooped up his huge ring.I walked over to him since he met us there and I drooped the ring in  his hand and asked if this is what you are looking for.This man was so happy  because he  did not believe he would ever see the ring again.He gave the  club a gift of about $150 and  since then the price of palladium has hit about $2400.One other time a man on the  beach lost his ring just by posing for  pictures on the beach. I found it in 20 seconds since I was walking by  when they lost it. I said  I don't  want anything and just kept on hunting down the beach.In this instance a man lost something without even being overly active.The only time I got paid was when i found a young man's key to his  sport       car which was  expensive to replace .I found it in 30 seconds and this guy was  very happy.He offered me money but I refused.He kept on   insisting so   i said I will use it to take my buddy to  Wendy' s to celebrate you getting your  key back.Me and my buddy used the         $20 for a nice meal at Wendy's.One other time someone left a keg on the beach and me and my buddy split the $20  deposit.You  never  know what adventure the beach will bring you.
    • By Dances With Doves
      I got lucky and found 2 1909  quarter eagle  gold coins in 1 hole.The expert hunter Mike Moutray while driving around the country and hunting with people who  guided him to good spots in  their area. He got a hold of my buddy and we  met him at a restaurant and went south to a place that had a old    sulfur spring  and use to  have a  gambling horse track.He hunted around a 200 year old plus oak tree and only went 3/4 of the way around it. He then went to the rest  room and to a different  spot.I went to the tree and hunted in  areas he did not hunt and got a iffy hit.I used my  Sun Ray  probe and got a pull tab hit and pulled out a gold coin and then got my second.I put in my probe and got the same hit but pulled out a fired  bullet.I am sure that he would have  probably got it of  he hunted the whole  tree.I had the coins in the gold pan I had with  the dirt and when he saw them he rolled his  eyes probably because he knows he did not hunt the whole tree.He did get his first 3 cent silver though.This happened in October 2003.
    • By PG-Prospecting
      Fun little outing from a year or two ago.  No gold found but the day was cut short by an east coast land mine aka ground bees.  

I use lidar to discuss my methodology and reasoning for detecting this area.  I also discuss what I look for when detecting for gold on the east coast out side of stream channels.  

you can get a good idea of the challenges faced when detecting for gold on the east coast, (thick leaf mat, organic topsoil increases the depth that a detector has to see through to even reach possible good ground.  Vegetation covers everything etc.  

Hope y’all enjoy.  Feed back is always appreciated.  

• By KellycoDetectors
      Hello everyone!
      The name is Matt Ryan. I run the Youtube channel Tennessee Adventures and am part of the Kellyco VIP team. 
      I was out with my Nokta Simplex the other day when I got a really good signal ringing up lower than a penny. I had the Nokta Makro Simplex in field mode and the sensitivity was set to halfway. I prefer to use field mode because it seems a lot deeper than the other modes to me and I prefer the tones on it way better.
      I picked that particular park because the trees were really old. That’s usually something that I pay attention to. 
      After I cut the plug and used my pinpointer to locate the coin, I realized I had dug up an old coin. 
      Completely shocked, I looked at the coin and realized I found an 1863 Civil War era Indian Head Penny. 
      It’s the oldest coin that I have ever found. Watch the video to learn more!