Beach Trip - Not Much So Far But Interesting - Coiltek 10x5

I'm at an RV resort on the outer fringes of North Carolina this week, since metal detecting is both allowed and encouraged here I brought the Equinox with the 10x5. I've only been out there for a few hours.20210714_174713.thumb.jpg.6ad508cb5ae8bff66e44286bc2d59df0.jpg

The first beach I went to is kinda remote. It's huge and doesn't have a lot of visitors.20210713_065027.thumb.jpg.ebee5285bb87f3d0322399937625e840.jpg

Got out there early, and searched the rock/shell line. In a couple of hours and about a mile of walking I found one Roosevelt Dime (2014) and a 3oz "frog" sinker, popular for surf fishing on the east coast. People come to this beach mostly for shells and to fish.

Last week we had Tropical Storm Elsa that not only kept people out of the water, but because it came from land and went out to sea it seemed to have covered more than it uncovered. There were double red flags that kept everyone out of the water for over a week. They put up the yellow flags yesterday. If you swim or even go in the water on the double red you will be arrested.

This morning was a little better, I went to the beach here at the park. Walked again about a mile.20210714_070337.thumb.jpg.9c108007b48ae6bf163600e81ee6c91f.jpg

There are some hotels up here and a pier, from research this place gets hit pretty hard. I saw one other person with a Garrett AT at one of the hotels just hunting the upper beach. I've been going out at low tide and walking one way at chest height to high tide, (the rock line) and back at knee height, the idea being that most people will just go to the waters' edge. Haven't gone in the water as yet, and haven't searched the areas that people sit. There is a pretty high tide here, but not as bad as Savannah. Probably about 5 feet or so.

Finds were all deep. Anyone who says the Coiltek 10x5 doesn't go deep should probably rethink their settings. Almost every coin I dug took 3 or more scoops, and pinpoint with a composite trowel to retrieve.20210714_094609.thumb.jpg.dd1bd91f2391917e19387608a460ab46.jpg

This one was one of the easiest, a nickel about 10" down. This trip I've been alternating between Park 1 and Beach 1. The beach is so clean I don't have to worry about much trash. Sensitivity cranked to 24, no EMI. Ground balance runs from 1 to about 18, I change it as soon as I hear any noise, there is some black sand. I can use Park 1 where the sand is dry. Iron balance is F2=3 so there goes the myth that IB reduces depth 😀 on the 600 that's max. I tested it because of something Chase wrote saying it pushed bottle caps out of the "Digem" range and indeed it does. You get about a 12/13 with a loud iron tone. I dug 2 for fun and proof, I knew what they were.20210714_110203.thumb.jpg.b16547f03fa4838aa0834b55110473bc.jpg

This is the trash I didn't toss. There were some cans but not many, and some large pieces of metal that gave 30s tones that were too heavy to carry. There are trash cans everywhere.

Here are the finds so far, all modern clad and a fishing lure that was probably over 12" deep. Should have photographed the hole.20210714_111204.thumb.jpg.1505e73d2bcdae2ecbea7aae1f36ec8e.jpg

The clean quarters were dug at chest height, the cruddy stuff all at knee height to the high tide line.

I'm not finding that I have to swing much more with the 10x5, I have my 11" with me but may not bother to use it. This coil is like a razor and ground balances really well. Hope to find some gold!

Good read and some useful notes to be had, I thank you for your information.

Good finds and great pictures.

Good luck on your next hunt, and I hope you get some gold.

You are out having fun.   I envy you while I sit here at work.  

26 minutes ago, CVISChris said:

You are out having fun.   I envy you while I sit here at work.  

I used to work... 🤔 😀 Thanks, it is fun.  Payback for all those years of trifle. 😵  Guess we all gotta do it. Miss your posts! Figured you'd retired on all those great relics and Gold. 😉

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Great Pictures! And Enjoyed the write up! 

Spots like that are really tough, but fun for you just never know what will come up..

Good Luck!

Thanks Joe. Appreciate the nod. The finds are spotty, but there is good stuff here. Got a few more days. 🙂