Out Detecting For 4 Hours Today

Unfortunately I don't get much of that early stuff in northern MI. It's just not old enough here. I've found 1 LC, 1 seated dime and 1 seated quarter. All the rest of my finds are Barbers, Mercs, not many newer silver's, V nickels, Buffalo's, IH's and wheats. Not much of the old stuff. It's just the way it is. Also hard to find new areas.

I am surrounded by the beautiful Great Lakes. I live 15 min from Lake Michigan. 45 mins to Lake Huron.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

Unfortunately I don't get much of that early stuff in northern MI. It's just not old enough here. I've found 1 LC, 1 seated dime and 1 seated quarter. All the rest of my finds are Barbers, Mercs, not many newer silver's, V nickels, Buffalo's, IH's and wheats. Not much of the old stuff. It's just the way it is. Also hard to find new areas.

I am surrounded by the beautiful Great Lakes. I live 15 min from Lake Michigan. 45 mins to Lake Huron.

I'm sure competition doesn't help. Fortunately most here get discouraged if they start running into can slag and pull tabs and don't know how to hunt in high iron and walk over a lot of the hidden targets. Silver is sparce as it is the easiest to find followed by the coppers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kac said:

I'm sure competition doesn't help. Fortunately most here get discouraged if they start running into can slag and pull tabs and don't know how to hunt in high iron and walk over a lot of the hidden targets. Silver is sparce as it is the easiest to find followed by the coppers.

In flogged ground high junk target in an area means more old targets are still in the ground.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:54 AM, kac said:

Very true about competition, but it's been that way since the start have this great hobby.  But I believe it's even more true how quickly people can become discouraged today than back in the '70s or '80s because we have far fewer good targets that are easily located compared to then. And we also have a greater abundance of discarded trash, such as more foil and pull-tabs and pry-tabs then what we used to encounter.

However, when I look at various Forums, I still see a lot of good, early-dated coins being found from all over.  I think 'location' is still part of the requirement, and once a potential location is found, the next ingredient is having the best detector and coil for the task.  Stir in a bit of patience and our success increases.

Monte

PS: kac you have beer approved elsewhere and we are awaiting your arrival.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Out Detecting For 4 Hours Today