Deep Tech Vista X Demon

The Vista X has a lot of “special” to it. My Multi/selectable frequency units have not made it obsolete.  I am actually taking it, the Rutus Versa & the Legend out to a tough red dirt site full of iron & bad EMI this afternoon for some testing & hunting. @HardPack would like this spot.I will use the 8” Concentric on it. I am trying to get better wrapped around the new Versa in Heavy iron. It’s performance & behavior is on a different level from what I am used to with the new NC 2.44 update.

Happy to see some posts here again (and out of likes today), as I have heard they are very good machines for what they do! Any new info, comparisons, or thoughts, or similar machine's (Rutus🤔) would be welcome! 

I have a Tejon, and a few other Tesoro's, so I'm still an afiscondo of that type of nuanced audio! Unfortunately most of the manufacturers have left them in the dust for multi's, as that's where the profits have gone! Understandable!👍👍

BTW, that Tejon and coils set is still up for grabs in the classifieds! Unfortunate, and a sign of the times that it's not been snapped up!! But good luck to bklein!🍀👍👍

• Like 1

I ran the Vista X some this afternoon as I had planned a few posts above.  It has been a few months since I have had it out on a real site.  The first thing that surprised me is how unaffected it is by the EMI I have been contending with on this site with SMF detectors. I had forgotten this great trait of the X.   The Concentric really does help tame the falsing from all the Iron.  What it seems to allow is for the Disc to catch the signal better & quicker.  You still get an initial high false, but the Disc kicks in quicker & better to cut the tone. The DDs will too but not as well or as quickly.  The 8" Concentric separates very well but the Super Six & 8"XS are better. The Concentric makes up for this by blending the tone easier on a mixed or co located/masked target. This is where you get the intelligence/nuance of the audio. It works very well once you learn it but it can be fatiguing after a while in heavy Iron.  That is where the newer SMF comes in.     Both the Legend & Rutus Versa are so much calmer in the same heavy iron in SMF if set up right.  To me it is somewhat of a trade off. When I'm down to a worked over site that only has iffy targets left, the Vista X can call out enough good in some of those signals to dig.  Sometimes it is a deep wire thin small or bent nail but often it is a small non ferrous target, Often a nice one.  The Versa can do the same to some extent but I haven't learned it fully yet. Instead of blending the target audio like the Vista X, it seems to reach on down into the ferrous range to pull out good targets. The Tarsacci does this in it's own way. You get that initial false high tone, then the signal processing catches up on subsequent passes.  The Legend is more sure in the Iron, even with a very low Iron Filter/Stability setting, therefore it runs smooth & quiet but it won't pull up those iffy good targets as deeply.

All 3 are great machines with enough difference in the  "How they perform" to make each useful & interesting.  Between them I dug some interesting targets this afternoon. Buttons, overall snaps, small brass & a nice small Al Token "Good For 10 Cents in Merchandise   ?.V. Smith & Son   New Baden  Tex"

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JCR said:

The Concentric really does help tame the falsing from all the Iron.  What it seems to allow is for the Disc to catch the signal better & quicker.  You still get an initial high false, but the Disc kicks in quicker & better to cut the tone. The DDs will too but not as well or as quickly.  The 8" Concentric separates very well but the Super Six & 8"XS are better. The Concentric makes up for this by blending the tone easier on a mixed or co located/masked target. This is where you get the intelligence/nuance of the audio. It works very well once you learn it but it can be fatiguing after a while in heavy Iron. 

A common characteristic of the 1850 placer sites is the flatten rusted tin. The miners would dump their individual trash into the nearest gully. Over the years the trash has spread out down slope. By listening to the iron falsing of the flatten rusted tin flows can lead an original camp site. Unfortunately, in many cases the ground under these camp sites was also flushed away in the search for gold. My SMF detector is great for tracking this type of iron falsing as long as the coil is not over sensitive to EMI. Rusted square nails, flatten stove pipe, shovel/pick heads, etc add to the underground puzzle. A DD coil can separate out non-ferrous targets hidden among rusted iron. The smaller the coil the easier the separating. But a buried blanket of rusted iron has to be effecting the detection depth of the DD coils.

So would a 8” concentric coil mounted on either a SMF or single frequency VLF detector reach deeper into a level below this rusted debris field? There may be only one way to find out.

• Like 1

I don't think you will find anything that will see through anything more than thin foil.  The best you can do is sneak peeks between the trash. A Concentric has a different footprint at depth than a DD so it may catch an extra target occasionally.  If the site has good enough potential, you can dig the bigger trash items that are near the surface to get them out of the way. Sites like you have there are just tough & require a lot of patience/stubbornness and work/time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCR said:

require a lot of patience/stubbornness and work/time.

I need to grid off an area and start layering down to bedrock with the equipment on hand. PSWT sounds like something the VA should cover. I definitely have one of the symptoms and it ain’t the “P”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience tells me,,, that the concentric coil begins to have an advantage over the DD coil on a modern and very good separation detector ... only in the case,, when the concentric coil is smaller than the DD coil ... in my experience ....

I see the ideal size of a concentric coil between 4.75" and 6".. or up to 7" coil diameter..

• Like 2

@EL NINO77  Encourage Rutus to bring out a Concentric for the Versa, even if it would only work in a narrow range of Single frequency.  We also need a 35cenimeter DD coil for clean ground Dual mode SMF work.

• Like 1