My Nox Vs Deus II Weight

I just weighed my nox. It has an Anderson carbon fiber shaft and their metal armrest, home made counterweight, deanos control box cover, and a coil ear stiffener.  Guess how much it weighs?  Check pic below for the answer.  The counterweight makes it more comfortable for me to swing but it’s still heavy, especially after 4 or 5 hours.  9555AF43-B834-47B0-A7A8-C8D0211820D3.thumb.jpeg.aaee5409dac956b80a3f18a6e733a347.jpeg

Now the deus II can be set up in several configurations, but if we go with the heaviest setup with the nine inch coil which is what I have on pre order, I believe it’s around 1 kilogram which is 35.27 ozs.   That’s a 22.83 oz savings!04EA1763-D3D7-4B2F-8523-826DF6496369.thumb.jpeg.f110ce6ab31cab4df9f7b3db98a17a27.jpegFor those of you using a counterweight, have you ever weighed the entire rig?  If so, please post up some weights.  

• Like 2

I don't water hunt much. With the ground basically frozen and depth not important, my current everyday Nox 800 with Steve Goss graphite shaft and 10X5" Coiltek elliptical coil weighs 42 ounces or 2 lbs 10 oz. I don't use a counter weight and can swing this rig all day. My Nox 800 for gold prospecting with the 6" round coil and Detect-Ed collapsible graphite shaft weighs 38 ounces or 2 lbs 6 oz and I can swing it indefinitely. I just weighed them on an accurate scale. Both weigh ins include grip tape, coil cover tape, and Doc's arm cuff covers and straps.

My XP ORX weighs 30.5 ounces or 1 lb 14.5 oz with the HF elliptical coil. If it didn't fall over all the time it would be my favorite detector ergonomically. It likes to roll down hillsides...............and I don't enjoy chasing it.

I only bought one of these new. Added together, all three cost a hundred dollars more than what a new Deus 2 costs at $1600. If I was solely a freshwater/saltwater submerged hunter I would be seriously looking at the Deus 2 for sure. I haven't seen a submerged in mild to moderate surf Deus 2 dive hunt yet. How it will hold up on a regular basis in that environment.....who knows.

• Like 1

Mine comes it at 3.10 lb (= 49.6 oz = 1.41 kg).  Here's how mine is configured (from top to bottom):

1) Added padding to inside of arm cuff (narrowing it so it doesn't slop from side-to-side when I swing).

2) Added tennis grip wrap to grip.

3) Added section of foam pool noodle on grip, in contact with control unit (held on with an 11" long cable tie) which leads to less of a death grip, eliminating hand and forearm fatigue.

4) Modified shaft as follows:  upper shaft section is stock; middle S-shaft section and lowest shaft section are slightly modified ML X-Terra 705 shaft sections.  I use a 1/4" hex head plastic bolt with wingnut, not the Eqx stock bolt and nut.  Two velcro straps secure the cable to the shaft.

5) Stock 11" coil and cover but with added (epoxied in place) bakelite washer on one ear only to repair break.

I think most of the extra weight (compared to stock and especially compared to aftermarket shaft outfitted versions like Jeff's above) is in the shaft.  I tried using a 1/4 lb (= 4 oz) counterweight (full $5 roll of USA dimes) inside the upper end of the shaft but it didn't seem to improve the balance enough to be worth carrying the extra weight, so I ditched it.

Many (including I) are of the opinion that balance takes precedence over weight as long as the weight isn't too much.  (How much?  Depends upon the person swinging.)  My Eqx configuration {weight+balance+minimized torsion from S-shaft} combination is very good for my typical 3-4 hour hunts and my style of swinging, etc.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NCtoad said:

I just weighed my nox. It has an Anderson carbon fiber shaft and their metal armrest, home made counterweight, deanos control box cover, and a coil ear stiffener.  Guess how much it weighs?  Check pic below for the answer.  The counterweight makes it more comfortable for me to swing but it’s still heavy, especially after 4 or 5 hours.  ...

For your Deus2 11" I would say 800g ( 28,2 oz ), this with the CB in the pocket and without coil cover .  This is around half your Nox weight  ( 58.1 oz ) ... Then normally you should see the difference in the field... 🙂

If you have the CB on the shaft + the CC on the coil you add 7oz then your D2 will weight around 35oz , which is still much lighter than the Nox .

btw no need to add  a carbon shaft or a counterweight on a Deus , the stock machine is so light that these extras are useless ...  I have never seen anyone using a counterweight on a Deus up to now , at least over here .. May be it could be useful with the big 13"X 11" but very few people use this coil because it is too heavy they prefer the 11" coil 

• Like 1