First Outing With The Coiltek 10x5" And 14x19" On The GPX 6000

phrunt

7 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Nothing much new here Phrunt, ML dont make very good coils, been that way with a few exceptions since year one, would they protect their coils with chips if that was not so? But I`m dirty coz I have neither the ordered 10x5 Coiltek coil nor the NF Sadie for the 6K.😡

I'm really looking forward to the NF coils now I've experienced the Coiltek's, I'm sure they will be good too, it's just excellent the 6000 has aftermarket options so I'm not overly fussed about the Minelab coils although it would be nice if my 11" was faulty and a replacement comes and works somewhat like the Coiltek's.  I've got the Nugget Finder 8.5x6 and 12x7" on order, didn't bother with the big one as it won't be much good around here although JW was rather partial to the 14x9".  It doesn't have as sensitive as a tip as I would have liked on the 14x9" though.

• Like 1

Simon, great review and nice hunting, my little 5x10 was delivered on Tuesday so I headed out to Gold Basin Arizona, despite the heat and thunder storms… and flash flood warnings! 

I started out early Wednesday around 6 in the morning the air was comfortable for about a hour, but the EMI was constant triggering the 6000 every couple seconds I was getting tired quickly swinging multiple times in the same spot trying to find repeatable signals in the oppressive humid heat, the bottom of the washes were the worst with the breeze blocked. I tried the 11” and 17” mono coils and the result was the same giving in I put the 14” DD on and it ran good enough I could put up with the EMI, but I don’t like the way that coil feels on the end of the detector shaft so after about two hours retreated to air conditioning until late afternoon when the suns rays were a little less brutal. Total for Wednesday trash similar to yours.

Today was a bit cooled the EMI greatly reduced, I had the 11” on the 6000 and started with it to compare it with the 10x5 and tested with a 1g nugget shoved down a critter hole, both the 11 and 10x5 had similar depth and both handled the EMI and helicopters equally well, the biggest difference was the 10x5 is very sensitive around the edges this is great for meteorites typically shallow larger targets the little coil hit them hard making up for it’s smaller size poking around bushes. Detecting around old tin and aluminum beer cans picking them up from several feet, I think more than when using the Gpz, the coil looks thicker than the other 6000’s coils I guess to accommodate the windings fitting into the smaller footprint it feels like the coil signal transmits in almost a modified hemisphere, pinpointing small targets out to the edge of the coil. 

it was slightly heavier than I thought it would be, it felt a bit heavier than the stock 11” although I have not weighed them it may be they a the same weight just the smaller size making it feel that way. For some reason it likes to twist more detecting in tight places on the 6000 skinny round carbon fiber rod I was using my foot frequently to take a twist out a little bothersome. 

6 meteorites but no gold yet perhaps tomorrow, all in all this is a nice addition to the GPX6000.

F5C90C7F-8578-45E5-BFE4-9A0478FB237E.thumb.jpeg.3f6790812206812b539de042765dc810.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks for your post 1515Art, well done on the meteorites, a real bucket lister for me but I'm unlikely to ever find one here.  I think they're an exceptionally cool thing to be able to find, a rock from space!   It's a shame you had such bad EMI at the start there, it seems to be the downfall of the 6000, the 14" mitigates it but there needs to be more sizes of DD, Coiltek alluded to possibly making DD's so fingers crossed there.

I'm not really sure on its weight either, I don't really pay much attention to weights, I'd prefer a heavier but more solidly built coil though.

The Coiltek's are thicker, you're right there, both the 14x9" and the 10x5" I've got are thick so I don't think it's the windings, something else about the design.  I was a bit surprised when I first saw the thickness.

JW's weights are in, the one he got with the Coiltek 14x9 only weighed .14 of a gram which to me is a surprise as it looked the biggest of the nuggets of the day, and the small bit he found with the 11" was .05 of a gram.   It's getting so hard to find any nuggets at that spot, at least we both were able to come away with something. 

• Like 1

Polypropylene 5 has one of the lowest densities of any plastic and I think it was chosen for this reason over ABS or Polycarb. Reducing weight was a major consideration for the 6000 of course. 

One very interesting experiment I recently did was pick a spot I know well that is dead flat (no coil axis problems) and has been heavily flogged but has had hundreds of small bits of gold found over the years. I picked a very low EMI day and trialed the Auto 1 and 2 settings and only used the 11" mono. I still had to battle the end-of-swing groaning a bit but I was very surprised at the end result. 24 bits of gold for 4.5 grams. A very deep .9gm and .55gm were the exceptions but heaps of .05's and .1's and .2's at 4-6" depth. I feel VERY certain that with the advent of the new Coiltek and NF mono's, a veritable harvest of small gold awaits us. Having a properly made coil with solid shielding and very low noise is going to make a BIG difference with utilizing the higher gain and Auto settings. TBH, I was a bit skeptical, but I've now experienced the results. 

• Like 7

Yes, I'm sure they picked it for it's weight benefits, it's one of the lightest of all plastics and they made it extremely thin as it's very flexible which is why you press down on your coil and your finger sinks into it.  It scratches very easily too, the biggest potential problem is it's bad with UV, so people covering their coils with stickers isn't such a bad idea.

Polypropylene is often affected by UV degradation, making it not suitable for use in high altitude or places where UV penetration is high.

I prefer the likely heavier (haven't tested weights and frankly don't care) and firmer plastics Coiltek are using than the ice cream container plastic.

I think Coiltek have done something to improve their shielding over the standard coil, I guess it all comes down to what the service agent finds and then I'll compare results if a new coil comes, if the old one comes back................

It'll be interesting when the aftermarket coils start to get into the hands of many if they start to notice any EMI differences with them.

• Like 1

Simon, great write-up with lots of useful information, and thanks for the videos as exemplars as well.

Looks like you're having fun--I know it's hard work as well.

Glad to see you're still stomping around with JW--he's a good man.

All the best, and thanks for the long post,

Lanny

• Thanks 1

I am starting to think that some of why the 6000 is so touchy with emi is what they had to do to expand the sensitivity upwards to hit gold other detectors miss including the 7000. As Oneguy used to call it "The Wild 6000" is fitting. Every day at my claim "Smaug's  Gold" emi will usually cut your day short around 2-3 pm because it gets so bad. Oftentimes we just hunt right on through it. We are still hitting the gold, dispite the emi. We have 4 Gpx6000's running at different times and some days all 4 at same time. We have to take turns digging and detecting as we are digging in an area 90 feet/4 6000's. The 6000 is a beast and dispite my early hipe against it in January/February 2021 and my defective detector and coil, this is by far the most amazing gold getting detector I have ever seen or used. I will be starting a Channel on YouTube called Smaug's Gold Adventures and there will be plenty of feedback on the amazing skill and pedigree of the 6000. I am a firm believer in the 6000. I would not have near the gold I have if it weren't for the 6000. The little pile with the bright white quartz in the center is gold found with the 5000/Gold Monster and Equinox and all the other piles are the Wild 6000. Over 300 nuggets with my 6000 just since March. 

IMG_20220811_194800989.jpg

• Like 7

One more thing I am hunting areas previously pounded. Every location. I have a new saying for myself, an area isn't hunted out until I hunt it a good month with the 6000. And too my surprise the 6000 is still pulling gold out. 

• Like 1

I've too have thought the added ability of the GPX 6000 to sense smaller and deeper nuggets than past GPX machines was accomplished by added sensitivity on the newest model.  The price to pay has been added noise, be it from extra emi sensitivity, coil orientation-induced noise, etc. 

I too have found small nuggets deeper in areas covered by my previous PI machines.  Despite its drawbacks, the GPX6000 does well on small nuggets.  These new aftermarket coils will help tame down the machine's noisiness, based on what info is out there so far.   

My 10x5 Coiltek looks very well made.  I hope to give it a test soon and see if its quieter and more stable. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, GR Guy said:

Great feedback on the Goldhawks and you haven’t even tried my personal favourite the 9” round.

Gr Guy,

The 9" is staying on mine too. 

6E6B49B9-D8E7-4266-80C9-DB4CC235964B.jpeg

• Like 4