Equinox 900 Vs Some Other Smfs

24 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The winners are the users of these detectors and these detector manufacturers that have given much of the more experienced detector hobbyists what they have been asking for....

I think there's more in that statement than first meets the eye.  I need to print it off and attach it to my Manticore as soon as it arrives.  Thanks, Jeff.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to D pitch audio on the 900 but it seemed more chirpy (EMI susceptibility) so I have been just going with the hot hand D2 relic workhorse, instead. 

But I think I just needed to trust what the 900 was telling me and crank the sensitivity down further than I otherwise would have liked to on the 800 and let the 900 do its thing.  Also, I think I too need to give all tones a go vs. D pitch, especially when trying to ferret out high conductors in high ferrous trash.

Thanks for the tips Jeff and Andy.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

All I can say at the moment is that I sold one of my Equinox 800s and the other one has been relegated to small gold prospecting and loaner status. I would not have imagined that even one year ago.

Yea same here. Sold one of my 800's....(the older out of warranty proven not to leak Ole Betsy detector) sold in one day...Now I'm having  hard time selling the new one that still has 2.5 years of warranty left. I bought it 6 months ago right before Minelab came out with their M-Core announcement lol. The goal is to keep the accessory coils and get a 900 but I'm having reservations about that as well. As soon as Minelab makes their accessory coils available available for the M-Core I might not even use the 900? The Deus 2 ain't going anywhere thats for sure. 

On 2/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, abenson said:

I'm really starting to like the All Tones on both the Manticore and 900. Really wasn't that hard for me to get used to. 

It's funny I've been using all tones pretty much most of the time and I like it as well. I had a hard time with the 50 tones on the 800 for some reason and became used to using 5 tones mostly with that machine. If I get in a wide open field or beach where targets are sparse then I'll switch too deep. 

strick

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, strick said:

Yea same here. Sold one of my 800's....(the older out of warranty proven not to leak Ole Betsy detector) sold in one day...Now I'm having  hard time selling the new one that still has 2.5 years of warranty left. I bought it 6 months ago right before Minelab came out with their M-Core announcement lol. The goal is to keep the accessory coils and get a 900 but I'm having reservations about that as well. As soon as Minelab makes their accessory coils available available for the M-Core I might not even use the 900? The Deus 2 ain't going anywhere thats for sure. 

It's funny I've been using all tones pretty much most of the time and I like it as well. I had a hard time with the 50 tones on the 800 for some reason and became used to using 5 tones mostly with that machine. If I get in a wide open field or beach where targets are sparse then I'll switch too deep. 

strick

Unless you do a lot of submerged small gold prospecting and micro jewelry hunting, I don't see any reason why you should get the 900 since you have an under warranty 800, Manticore and Deus 2. The 800 vs 900 difference on small gold and micro jewelry is minimal. The difference in waterproofing quality is yet to be determined. Target separation and depth between the 900 and Manticore is probably slight advantage Manticore. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Unless you do a lot of submerged small gold prospecting and micro jewelry hunting, I don't see any reason why you should get the 900 since you have an under warranty 800, Manticore and Deus 2. The 800 vs 900 difference on small gold and micro jewelry is minimal. The difference in waterproofing quality is yet to be determined. Target separation and depth between the 900 and Manticore is probably slight advantage Manticore. 

Yep solid advice but the new design on the 900 plus the added yet to be proven water proofing are enough for me...one more thing that I noticed today while out on a site that is full of rivets...the Manticore puts most of them in the high 50's low 60's where the 800 used to put them in the higher end into the possible coin spectrum....I'm assuming the 900 and the Manticore will have similar VID's? if they are the same or even close that would be  plus as well. Otherwise I'd have to divide by 2 every time I hit a target if I was using the 800 as right now the M-Core is my main squeeze. 😄

strick 

• Like 2

That's nice to here I'm always digging rivets at ghost towns and military camps. Get excited at the high numbers and then out pops a brass rivet.