Jump to content

A Short Park Hunt Reveals A Couple Of Surprises


Recommended Posts


Very cool short one Cap'n! 馃憤

Really like the ring, that's one that would disappear into my wife's jewelry box the second she saw it. 馃榾

Trying to figure out what the stone is. 馃

Very little trash and some Victorian pull tabs. I wonder what nefarious scenario surrounds the hotel tab... They always have a story. 馃榾聽If only they could talk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice hunt with a nice ring, what type of stone is it.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats on the silver and nice bit of research on the the cool key fob!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn aerators.聽 馃槧聽 Did you check the VDI on the ring after you recovered it?聽 I think it should have been in the high conductor region, not the pulltab zone.聽 If there were a complete disconnect somewhere then, yes, lower conductance.

I like that hotel tag.聽 I assume you confirmed the address is consistent with the location of the building you found on the old maps.聽 Sometimes old phone books will have addresses of businesses but those have to be from a period where they actually had phone books.聽 Ancestry.com has scans of old phone books.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2023 at 5:20 PM, F350Platinum said:

Very cool short one Cap'n! 馃憤

Really like the ring, that's one that would disappear into my wife's jewelry box the second she saw it. 馃榾

Trying to figure out what the stone is. 馃

Very little trash and some Victorian pull tabs. I wonder what nefarious scenario surrounds the hotel tab... They always have a story. 馃榾聽If only they could talk.

On 3/4/2023 at 10:56 PM, Valens Legacy said:

Nice hunt with a nice ring, what type of stone is it.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

Thanks F350 and VL, I've been trying to figure out the stone. It's kind of a bluish-grey stone and reacts to strong light like a star sapphire or tiger eye. I'll have to wait until we get a sunny day to find out for sure. Natural star sapphires only make the star in natural sunlight.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Damn aerators.聽 馃槧聽 Did you check the VDI on the ring after you recovered it?聽 I think it should have been in the high conductor region, not the pulltab zone.聽 If there were a complete disconnect somewhere then, yes, lower conductance.

I like that hotel tag.聽 I assume you confirmed the address is consistent with the location of the building you found on the old maps.聽 Sometimes old phone books will have addresses of businesses but those have to be from a period where they actually had phone books.聽 Ancestry.com has scans of old phone books.

Thanks, GB, yes I also confirmed that the address of that block remained the same over time so that is the likely location where the hotel stood. I have a friend in my detecting club who has a vintage bookstore and he has old business registries going back to the early days of the town and he's going to try to find more details on the Santa Fe Hotel for me.

It's funny that you asked about the VDI because I've been recording those recently to compare with trash targets and am getting some interesting results. Here are the Deus 2 VDIs I got on the ring and similar trash targets on that day:

PF-5b.JPEG

I don't know if the ding on the back affected the VDI or not. The ring is not separated, but it is light, 1.47 grams.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I've been trying to figure out the stone.

Is the stone open on the back, if so it should be real and not a fake.

Thanks for the update and i hope that it turns out to be a good stone for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Is the stone open on the back, if so it should be real and not a fake.

Thanks for the update and i hope that it turns out to be a good stone for you.

Yes the stone is open backed. I'm going to clean the ring up a bit more and get the dirt out of the back so I can test the stone.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try to shine a light from the backside to see what it does also. You may have a man made stone they call a sunburst that shows something like a cats eye when you move the ring side to side. They are usually blue to purple in color.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...