Over 50 Years Of Metal Detecting & Gold Prospecting

23 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, quite a ride indeed, and one that I was wise enough to document with stories and photos over the years at Steve’s Mining Journal. My memory for the past is not the greatest, so I wrote those stories as much for me as anything, and I’m very glad now I did. Check them out if you are interested, there is a books worth of stories there.

More like several books' worth.  I've always gotten a chuckle when people here have said "Steve, you ought to write a book."  It's all here, for free!  Thank you for sharing your knowledge so generously.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve!!!!!

I visit this forum several times a day either to post something, read what others have to say about their detecting life, and most of all learn and then learn some more about this really cool hobby that I am still addicted to. I could be addicted to other things that aren't nearly as healthy so this metal detecting addiction is one that I plan to keep for a while longer.

Thanks especially for promoting and helping to keep this forum alive and non-affiliated with much of the drama that other forums and social media engage in every moment. I really appreciate a safe place to learn how to metal detect and to find lost treasures both in the ground and on this forum.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Dang Steve you have about 10 years more than I do in this wonderful hobby. I've been on this forum for about 7 years and only really participated in any discussions for about 3 or 4. But I have enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone on here is helpful and encouraging when it comes to learning about metal detecting.

Steve you have and still are a great asset to the metal detecting hobby. The list of metal detectors you've help develop in one way or another is telling or your knowledge when it comes to this hobby. I've enjoyed getting to know you, and you have giving me more tips and tricks pertaining to gold prospecting that you'll ever know. The few outings I've been on with you have been nothing short of amazing and educational. I've enjoyed all your stories and discussions as we've sat around freezing or sweating our butts off in the Nevada desert. Hopefully I'll be able to coax you into getting out a few more times before you totally hang it up.

• Like 3

I hope you enjoy retirement Steve and thanks for creating this forum here as well as your work on detectors many of us use today. Prior to the time you created it, I had given up on participating in the other gold detecting communities. The Alaska forum which I really enjoyed went away around then too, so it seemed like there wasn't many places left out there to talk to like minded people for a time until you created this place.

You gave somewhere to go for people who just wanted to concentrate on prospecting and detecting, and talk with other people about stuff we all have in common and are all interested in. 

Good luck with everything, maybe run into you out in the field again sometime! Remember to take a breath from the RPG's now and then and get out into the mountains, I had to force myself to stop playing Everquest and Unreal Tournament when I was in school just to get anything done and get outta there. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Steve, I want to thank you for the knowledge you have selflessly offered us through the forum, you are a romantic and honest person who analyzes everything objectively, I wish the metal detector world had more people like you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1