Gerry in Idaho

How Well Do You Know Your Gold Detector?

13 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Which detector would you take and why?

Ok, I see you asked a specific question and you're getting a lot of good answers.  But I'm going to step outside that question with my answer.  Besides a moderate to high frequency VLF and a lightweight PI, I'm taking a gold pan.  The chances it tells me something I don't know, even if the chance of that is small, is clearly worth the weight and cost.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Ok, I see you asked a specific question and you're getting a lot of good answers.  But I'm going to step outside that question with my answer.  Besides a moderate to high frequency VLF and a lightweight PI, I'm taking a gold pan.  The chances it tells me something I don't know, even if the chance of that is small, is clearly worth the weight and cost.

Dry panning GB_Amatuer or do you take along a bit of water with you as well or are you just stalking creeks & streams? Cant argue that the gold pan isn't the best prospecting tool out there. Is probably responsible for all the gold fields we know.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1

This is also outside the question, but in relation to the last response about the pan. The last few years I've been in a spot with lots of nuggets (old bedrock workings) where if I'd have taken the time to sift and sort every signal, I'd have recovered far less gold, so I use the plastic gold pan for a "speed" tool. I look at the display when there's a good tone, throw the target material in the pan and keep at it recovering as many possible targets in the time I have available to hunt the old workings. Then, when I need a break, I carefully pan (using a safety pan as well) the material to see what I've recovered. Saves a lot of target separating time and leaves me with a nice catch of nuggets in the poke at the end of the day allowing me to cover far more ground.

Oh, and I must add, when nuggets are travelling in crevices, lots of smaller gold drops along with them as well (most of the time, but there have been exceptions), so I also get the benefit of having cleaned crevices to get the nuggets but having the bonus of fine accompanying gold as well.

All the best, and I know this is straying from the seed ideas of the post, but I thought I'd share how I've found a plastic pan valuable as I can quickly scan it to ensure the target's made it into the pan as well,

Lanny

• Like 6

17 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Dry panning GB_Amatuer or do you take along a bit of water with you...?

Water in the vehicle but water in the backpack/canteen just for drinking.  If there's water nearby I can transport the sample there rather than the other way around.  (I always carry a few ziplock bags for sampling.)  I figure just knowing there's gold in any form can be both a clue and a motivation.  But I understand tiny gold and metal detectable gold don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How Well Do You Know Your Gold Detector?

Gosh....In all honesty....probably not all that well. In saying that though I seem to have got to knowing them (i am talking of all my gold detectors that I have used, I have some I haven't even used:rolleyes: the price was right at the time) well enough to find gold most times I go out. Which is quite often. When I say probably not all that well,  due to our ground being just so insanely mild I have always been able to run hot settings & never had to explore other timing options & settings to get a smooth even threshold. Once I had my hot settings dialed in I generally don't have to change them no matter where I detect. I just do an auto tune & ground balance regularly throughout the day. Never in auto ground balance & outside of sensitivity & settings to combat EMI, solar influence etc the rest just stay as they are.   My first ever gold detector was the GP 3000. I don't know if this thread is really about PI's & the mighty Zed as I did pick up on what Gerry said that Steve touched on as  well & maybe trying to exclude the higher priced units.But I did cut my gold detecting teeth on the GP 3000 & believe I got to know that detector inside out with the settings that suited me & my detecting conditions. Along with the multitude of coils I could wack on it & our insanely mild ground, I was in seventh heaven. I tended to favour the mono coils & dig everything. The sweet audio on the GP 3000 is something I miss, even today. I got to know that audio so very well. Stepping up to the GPX's....that changed. So to with the Zed.

But like has been said a thousand times before, no one detector is going to do it all. My first VLF gold detector was the GMT. It had its place but I soon got sick & tired of digging up millions, seemed like millions:rolleyes:, of shot gun pellets. While I had a PI & a large choice of coils I didn't really take to fly schist size gold. Knowing that one deepish slug found with the PI could be a years worth of tiny bits found with the GMT. So then I go & get a  GB2:rolleyes: just to punish myself a bit more. But no. I soon got to know many places of bed rock & shallow ground that I could revisit with a VLF that wasn't so saturated with shot gun pellets. On getting the mighty Zed & a GM 1000 I now use the GB2 & or the GM 1000 as my pin pointers when I get into a deep dig with the Zed & to tell me if the signal is iron or not. I have never used a VLF as my main gold detecting machine but when I can drive to detecting areas I always have the GB2 & the Gold Monster with me. If hiking to areas I take the Zed & back pack either the GM 1000 or the GB2. Not too fussed which one of those two VLF's I take with me. I do like them both & like the GB2's little 6x3 bullet proof coil. I never did get bigger coils for my VLF's outside of the one they came with. Of course the GM 1000 has the two. I am at a bit of a loss as to why people say the GB2 is difficult to use. I never had a problem with manual ground balance & have always prefered manual over auto. That probably comes down to our insanely mild ground. You can set it to being slightly hot.

With the Zed, I started off with what JP called the conservative settings. From habit with the PI's I always tried to maintain a smooth steady threshold. The fact I was pinging gold again with the Zed over all my old flogged out ground with the PI had me back in seventh heaven. The small gold at depth the Zed was getting still blows me away today over a year later of using it. Then Steve chirps in with his insanely hot settings on the Zed. I tried this, & no bloody way was my sanity going to survive using those. So back to the conservative settings. Over a bit of time I got to know quite a few areas where bigger gold seemed to be that I first found with the GP 3000 & later model PI's & now the Zed was getting some of this bigger gold deeper down. The Zed got to a stage where I was no longer getting bits of gold in these conservative settings & then Steve in his wise & wisdom way made a comment about "his" insanely hot settings that resonated with me. "Treat that extra noise as a new threshold". BINGO. I don't know what it was but something just clicked & I was getting more gold at even deeper depths & handling these insane hot settings. Sensitivity up to 18-20, High Yield & Normal. The "click" was the same thing that happened to me with external speakers. With my PI's I always ran a signal enhancer/ booster through my head phones to catch those faint whispers. I tried external speaker but just didn't take to them. I prevered being locked into my own world with the headphones & no outside noise influences. But other detector operators that I look up to insisted the benefits of external speakers through a signal booster/ enhancer. So one weekend away detecting I deliberately left my headphones at home. Forcing me to use the externally boosted speaker set up all weekend. I don't know what it was, but the penny dropped & I have never used headphones since. Any way....I am prattling now.

A very Merry Xmas & a prosperous New Year to you all. Wishing you the best of luck out there for 2018.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If I was going to look for gold nuggets in tailing piles and placer digs, I would re-read Gerry's excellent article on "Finding Nuggets In Tailing Piles & Placer Digs" from W&ET 2009 Silver & Gold.  Gerry provides pro tips on how to dig less trash, pile selection, the detector choice, coil selection and placer digs. Hint- bring a quality "gold capable" VLF detector with 9" or 11" concentric and elliptical coils or a PI with stock DD and small elliptical coils for iron discrimination. Plus the article shows some great pics of gold nuggets and specimens found by Gerry and his customers.

Everywhere else, bring the GPZ!:biggrin:

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year's,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bill, Any chance of a link to that article by Gerry? Thanks :smile:

Gerry: Sorry mate meant to make mention of your great post here & some beautiful gold find pics. Stunning bits. You could have left out that sheep photo though. I just knew one of my Aussie cousins from across the ditch ( Tasman Sea that separates NZ from that lot) wouldn't be able to help themselves without a comment aimed at me. :biggrin: Trans Tasman rivalry.

Best of luck out there

• Like 1

Crikey, JW that was a bit of a "prattle", but for newchums to get a bit of an idea on the often complicated process we go through chasing the magic stuff, tis a must read.

Very merry Xmas to all, cos Xmas is a special time to be merry and why not tis not a bad excuse. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi JW, I don't have a link...but maybe Gerry has something he can provide.

Bill

• Thanks 1