Used Equinox Shortage?

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 2:36 AM, PimentoUK said:

It seems more likely that folks will sell one or two of their unused / underused previous detectors, and keep their new Eqx, which in many cases has become their all-round go-to machine.

I've been thinning out several detectors, but I have a few that are my "all-around' and "go-to" detectors, and the Equinox 800 isn't one of them.  I only used it 40-45 minutes and preferred the rest of my Detector Outfit and listed the EQ-800 yesterday here on Steve's Classifieds.  Just not the detector for me.

Monte

Does Monte still have the Vanquish 540 that's listed in his signature ? If so, that would explain why he would be less keen on keeping the Equinox. I think your typical detectorist who bought an Equinox would be unlikely to subsequently buy a Vanquish, unless they were doing it for financial reasons, and were fully intending selling the Eqx. Which is a very valid reason, as the Vanquish can clearly hold its own.

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

At least you gave it a thorough run through, Monte.  :laugh:

I just knew my 40-45 minute statement was going to get a response, but rest assured, I am not :wacko: !!

I have a few (very few) friends who own and use an Equinox 800, but none of them rely on it as a primary-use or full-time detector choice.  it is simply one of several detectors they own, and each have their reasons for when and where they favor the Equinox.  Two of my friends who know me and the types of sites I hunt the most and the vicious iron debris I'm confronted with told me they didn't think I would like the Equinox 800. They know what I use and how well it works.

Going back a couple of years to when the Equinox 800 first got in their hands I was able to do some casual comparisons in-the-field, and I borrowed a couple to use, briefly, at a few hunt sites.   I rely on my favorite Single Frequency Nokta CoRe and Relic and Simplex +, as well as Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and a couple of others.  A couple of months ago I bought a Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack,  a week after it arrived I ordered a 2nd Vanquish 540 Pro Pack.  I keep each unit equipped with the two different-size coils, and for what they are and how their Multi-IQ works, they have  been handling certain needs I have just fine and are a good part of my Detector Team.

Then, on April 9th, I bought the Equinox 800 w/6" DD coil and lower rod.  I spent 7 or 8 days here at my home evaluating the EQ-800 and comparing it against my CoRe, Relic, V-540, Simplex + and Bandido II µMAX and a couple of other models.  I used the factory default settings, and then some that were referred to me by other Relic Hunters.  Then I made a few adjustments myself to come close to duplicating the Vanquish 540 Jewelry and Relic modes and the Disc. settings I like.

I liked the weight and balance, and I do like the 6" DD coil for the trashier and brushier environments I hunt.  in some cases, I liked the performance.  But overall, after taking it to a challenging ghost town and hunting a known path or trails through the sage brush, I worked it for 40-45 minutes.  I made it a point to mark some questionable signal spots, and I eyeballed a lot of rusty tin from small shards to can lids to bigger hunks of Iron trash to check out how the EQ-800 handled them.

That stroll got me back to my vehicle and I put the EQ-800 in the back and got out my Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD.  The Vanquish has a 5-Tone ID audio and I used the EQ-800 in 5-Tone, then double-checked located targets in 1-Tone, 2-Tone, and the one I really don't care for, 50-Tone.  I walked the same trail and checked the marked signal spots and evaluated the audio behavior on all the different visible rusty tin.  I also recovered some targets that the V-540 hit on where the EQ-800 didn't provide a response, and that told me something as well.  Then I went on about hunting the ghost town using my preferred Iron Nail contaminated site favorite models.

I had already made some comparisons at home using my test Bead of the 11" DD on the EQ-800 and 9X12 DD on the V-540 for those infrequent times I might want a larger-size coil.  So now with a little 40-45 minutes field-time with a direct comparisons of what I was looking for in performance ability and performance differences, I had my mind made up.  I simply didn't need the EQ-800 and extras in my Detector Outfit.  It's a very good detector, and I do like the 6" DD coil, but there just isn't a spot for it to make a nice 'fit' on my Team of detectors, so I'll let this pristine condition beauty help someone else get out and enjoy Minelab's Multi-IQ experience.

Monte

14 minutes ago, Monte said:
3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

At least you gave it a thorough run through, Monte.  :laugh:

I just knew my 40-45 minute statement was going to get a response, but rest assured, I am not :wacko: !!

14 minutes ago, Monte said:

I spent 7 or 8 days here at my home evaluating the EQ-800 and comparing it against my CoRe, Relic, V-540, Simplex + and Bandido II µMAX and a couple of other models.  I used the factory default settings, and then some that were referred to me by other Relic Hunters.  Then I made a few adjustments myself to come close to duplicating the Vanquish 540 Jewelry and Relic modes and the Disc. settings I like.

I know you're not crazy because apparently you spent a lot more time swinging it than 40-45 min in a ghost town. So that makes a for a completely different story.

In the ghost town scenario, I would probably use my Deus over the Equinox.

I'm still evaluating the Vanquish, but one annoying thing I have come across is that it apparently has an affinity for constently ringing up pull tabs in my local park at 18 (in jewelry mode).   Why is that a problem?  Because it pushes the typical pull tab at that site into the high 5-tone bin on the Vanquish and the breakpoints are not adjustable.  It bangs hard on actual high conductors though, but it is annoying constantly stopping in my tracks by a great souding ringing high tone and staring down at that 18 on on the VDI.  Boo!  :smile:

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I know you're not crazy because apparently you spent a lot more time swinging it than 40-45 min in a ghost town. So that makes a for a completely different story.

The little emoticon character is labeled as 'wacko' and I know I'm not that.  Not crazy, either, but my good hunting buddy keeps telling me to get rid of the Vanquish models because they just are not as-good-as some better models for seriously dense and challenging Iron Nail contaminated sites.  He really likes the physical packaging and comfort / feel of the V-540, and also likes the looks of the 5X8 DD coil as I do.  he just has a mental block about the Minelab stuff and the over-hype about SMF / Multi-IQ detectors.  He is not an urban Coin Hunter so doesn't consider some of those strengths we might enjoy with some detector makes / models.

Monte

52 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

Does Monte still have the Vanquish 540 that's listed in his signature ? If so, that would explain why he would be less keen on keeping the Equinox. I think your typical detectorist who bought an Equinox would be unlikely to subsequently buy a Vanquish, unless they were doing it for financial reasons, and were fully intending selling the Eqx. Which is a very valid reason, as the Vanquish can clearly hold its own.

Check out my 'Gear Used:' listing and you'll note that I do still have my 2 Vanquish 540's, but have eliminated the Equinox 800.  I bought two of the V-50 Pro Packs and I keep a 9X12 DD mounted on one V-540 for open-area searches such as a plowed fields or pastureland, and the most-used V-540 uses the 5X8 DD that I really like.

I think you are correct that is someone has the upscale EQ-800 and enjoys it, they might not have much interest in the Vanquish series.  I'm different, and it has nothing to do with financial ability, either.  I'm now two months into my 56th year of detecting, avidly, and I keep an 'Outfit' of detectors that I have used and determined they make a very good 'fit' for me and the types of places I spend most of my search-time.

Other than my selected regular-Use Detector team I do have a few other makes and models from days, yeas and decades gone-by.  One dating to the latter 1960's, and a couple that were favorites in the '70s and early '80s as well.  I mainly use them in seminars and other demonstrations because they all work like they did way-back then.  I even use them when evaluating all of the most current, up-to-date  models, and that can get more interesting than many might imagine.

No 'perfect' detector made, but I'll agree with you, again, that the Vanquish 540 can hold-its own, especially in the majority of hunt sites when compared with the other Multi-IQ concept, the Equinox series.

Monte

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

There is something very special about that jewellery mode on the Vanquish, from the first day of using it I've wanted to replicate that mode on my Equinox so I can see what Monte is talking about there.  I even went as far as emailing Minelab to ask what settings on the Nox would closely emulate the Jewellery mode, they never replied.  It was probably forwarded to the right department and then forgotten about.   If you're in the right conditions that Jewellery mode really shines.  I use it for finding coins funny enough, not the coin mode 😛

I received my first Vanquish 540 on a Monday, and went to work evaluating the three factory default programs while confirming the inbred glitches.  I took it out hunting a bit before dark, and hunted with it the next day and settled on what factory modes I liked, how they behaved, and got comfortable with the Vanquish 540's 5-Tone audio ID.  I mainly preferred the Jewelry mode (our normal USA spelling) for most site work where it was 'busier', and the Relic mode for open-area searches.

Having 2 of the Vanquish 540's I keep a 9X12 DD mounted on one unit, and that 'Custom' program was saved by setting my Disc. Accept segments in the Relic mode so it retains the designed behavior of that mode.  The other, and most-used, V-540 keeps the excellent 5X8 DD coil attached, and that 'Custom' program was based on the Jewelry mode and Accepting all notch segments except the first two.

I use the 'Custom'-saved Jewelry mode for the bulk of my hunting with that 5X8 DD coil.  And I tinkered with the EQ-800 in 5-Ton like the V-540 and spent more than enough time trying to duplicate the V-540's behavior.  I couldn't match it, and I don't care for a lot of tinkering around with settings.  The Vanquish 540 was working well, and after messing with the Equinox 800 enough, I feel the V-540 was still working as well or better.  Heavy on the "or better" feeling where I hunt..

Monte

Did I misunderstand, or did this thread that started out asking about used ML Equinox availability subsequently get hijacked into a discussion about the comparison of the Eqx with its less expensive sister, the ML Vanquish?  😁  OK, I'm as guilty as anyone on this site for shifting gears of a thread.  But here I'm going to go back to the original topic.  This is really about economics and its spinoffs (such as marketing, retail and wholesale sales) which I haven't studied since high school.  But when in doubt, revert to the law of supply and demand!

Certainly there are multiple markets for used metal detectors:  Craigslist, local club forums/newsletters, internet forums such as this one, Ebay (the true elephant in the room) and even garage/yard/tag/rummage sales in our local neighborhoods.  Although these share some common characteristics they are not necessarily in sync.  The one I'm best familiar with is Ebay so I'll just concentrate on discussing that, with full understanding that the other markets can be quite different.

Once or twice a week I review both the metal detector and metal dectector accessory categories on Ebay.  I've been doing this for about four years.  I haven't done an exhaustive study (and it appears none of you has either 😏) so I'm giving you my general impressions/opinions.  IMO the dominant price impact for used metal detectors (the only thing I watch and thus the subject of this post) is seasonal variations.  There are some commonalities between the N & S hemispheres but also one obvious difference as I point out.  Since I'm from the Northern Hemisphere (temperate climate zone specifically) I'm going to concentrate on that. 

From my observations the best time to buy ("buyer's market") is late summer and much of the autumn.  Similar to other warm weather activities (e.g. boating, cycling, golfing), that is when psychology drives people to think "the season is over" and consider liquidating their seasonal items.  Christmastime (so now we see the hemisphere difference) pushes things somewhat in the other direction.  People are looking for gifts and metal detectors certainly fall into the sights of some.  So the trend reverses, although not necessarily completely to a seller's market, but closer to neutral in my simple view.  After the holidays things don't necessarily go completely back to a buyer's market since cabin fever drives people to pine for the spring and chances to get out.  Then the trend slowly climbs in favor of the sellers, which peaks in the springtime and early summer.  And then the cycle starts to reverse and we're back to where we started.

We are obviously currently faced with a once-in-a-lifetime experience -- pandemic triggering deep recession.  That has to be superimposed upon the seasonal variation.  As others opine, this doesn't necessarily drive a buyer's market across the board.  Gold detetorists may be more inclined to attempt to supplement their income, and with more people off work (leisure time?) there is incentive to head to the beaches, parks, etc.  But the economic downturn also provides incentive to liquidate property so the supply curve is impacted.  Which one wins?   The answer may well be "it depends upon when you decide to jump into the market".

This is a pretty simple view of a complicated situation.  For example, are the people who are currently suffering in a major way (e.g. short on food $) actually people who own detectors?  Are the people in the market for detectors incentivized to buy immediately, or wait until the supply pressure increases further (driving the prices down), in the meantime satisfied with their already owned detectors?  A complicated superposition of forces indeed.

As far as the Equinox specifically, it does seem that the 600 model has a sweetspot in the $450-$500 range.  The 800?  I really don't recall as many of those for sale on Ebay as the 600's and/or when I do see them they go for closer to their new price of $900 (i.e. around $800).  Could it be that those who bought the 800 have hit a satisfaction point that we don't typically see when new detectors saturate the market?  ('New' now going past 2 years for the Eqx 800, admittedly.)  Certainly time will provide more data.