Fisher Impulse AQ Limited Edition?

Anybody remember the Gold Bug SE? It was a Special Edition, limited production run, at a killer retail price. Software version 1.0

This was indeed a limited time offer and the Gold Bug SE was gone within a year, The same machine came out next as the Gold Bug Pro for a much higher price, sporting firmware version 2.9. I think we are currently at 3.0? The point being the Gold Bug SE was basically a beta version in need of tweaking, but the price was so good nobody cared. That was ten years ago and they are still selling the Gold Bug Pro, one of First Texas most popular detectors ever. They sold a huge number of these in Africa in particular.

So a limited run AQ that morphs into something else... that makes more sense to me. Maybe the initial units are limited.  But also you will be able to buy some version no matter what for years. Remember, FT paid to buy this idea, paid for years of development, and paid to tool up for that coil in particular. 20 or 50 or 100 or 200 might be a technical achievement, but it would be an abject failure from a business perspective. If they can’t sell these for years in various versions they really screwed up. So get the ball rolling now, and add improvements later at a higher price. There are things that obviously can be improved on this unit, as people here have mentioned.

I refuse to believe FT failed on this project and is cutting their losses. There is too much riding on it. So I’m 99% sure you are going to be able to buy an Impulse AQ if you want one no matter what. But what version, what it will cost, how long it will take, where you can buy it... still not a clue until we get that official information release.

I could of course be wrong about all that! :smile:

My experience with 1st Texas since 2004 has been that 1st Texas Products does not do "one offs" .    I imagine you will see this basic operating platform move from the beach gold hunter,  to the prospector, to the relic hunter with the feature set maturing as it moves along.

You are completely missing the 7ns pulse delay.   That is a huge breakthrough in mass production and target size capability for a pulse unit.

HH
Mike

4 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Hopefully someone will enlighten us soon on what we can expect for small gold.   I believe Steve has posted several time about the physics of salt water hunting.

I have. And this topic has also been covered several times over the last couple months, including in the last week.

The AQ by design rejects foil and small gold. This is not a micro jewelry detector. The 7uS is there to enhance signal strength on all desired targets, and is where the Impulse AQ derives its extra performance. The machine is designed specifically to find the most gold by weight, and not have people chasing the tiny bits.

The gold prospecting version will focus on recovering tiny gold in mineralized ground.