It Was Only A Matter Of Time

On 8/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, Compass said:

That's awesome  Seeker- congrats on your first AQ gold! That's a nice one to start with too.

Thanks Compass. I hope I can find more gold with it but I think I need to find a place where nobody hunts in order to do so. HH

10 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That's a Nice looking Gold!! And he's got some weight!!...I agree tune the ATS up to 8 and delay to 11.5...it kills me to turn mine up for I feel I'm losing depth but dag It still hammers deep. 

I set all the knobs to the marked presets and just hunted the wet/damp sand and still made noise. The only way it wouldn’t make noisy is if I slowed down my swing speed to 3-4 seconds, so for gridding a small area it’s ideal. I’m sure it will still false in rushing water no matter what setting but I’ll find out after tomorrow’s hunt. If I hunted with the pod underwater it would probably run quieter but with the waves here I would never get the target out. 

4 hours ago, Tony said:

The day I started worrying less about a quick delay and more on a smooth threshold was the day I started finding more gold. Yes, the smaller/finer and lower karat gold rings respond better to a quicker delay BUT only if you can hear them above the salt response in moving salt water. The bigger and higher karat gold rings will still respond very well to delays above 15uS !
Absolutely use the quickest delay possible if salt signal isn’t a problem 👍

I am still learning this machine and have a long way to go.  My TDI SL and Garrett ATX always had a smooth threshold.  I ran the ATX with no ground balance to get more depth and never had problems. I will be increasing the delay next time out using all metal/tones and report back. 

3 minutes ago, The Seeker said:

set all the knobs to the marked presets and just hunted the wet/damp sand and still made noise. The only way it wouldn’t make noisy is if I slowed down my swing speed to 3-4 seconds, so for gridding a small area it’s ideal. I’m sure it will still false in rushing water no matter what setting but I’ll find out after tomorrow’s hunt. If I hunted with the pod underwater it would probably run quieter but with the waves here I would never get the target out. 

That swing speed is killing me also being the big coil is like a steering wheel. I think if we do see a 8 inch AQ coil it's going to be a Big help to all...

8 hours ago, Tony said:

The day I started worrying less about a quick delay and more on a smooth threshold was the day I started finding more gold. Yes, the smaller/finer and lower karat gold rings respond better to a quicker delay BUT only if you can hear them above the salt response in moving salt water. The bigger and higher karat gold rings will still respond very well to delays above 15uS !
Absolutely use the quickest delay possible if salt signal isn’t a problem 👍

That;'s great advice, Tony.  Took me a while to learn that with the TDI thinking it had to be run way down to get it's power.  Not true.  Great to see that you are still at it.   Kind Regards clive

3 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That swing speed is killing me also being the big coil is like a steering wheel. I think if we do see a 8 inch AQ coil it's going to be a Big help to all...

ya, the back 1/3rd of this machine is really faint needs that slow slow to hear the deepest ones but they are really way down--object of the game. 

cjc

Nice group of rings and congratulations on the gold!

4 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

There is going to be an 8” coil plus covers for both. The only way the 8” coil will help is if people don’t try to run the sensitivity much higher to try and compensate for the depth loss.

On a side note the experts have spoken and looks like the consensus is that half of the settings on the AQ are just for show. If you want a smooth running AQ you need something like.

Sensitivity 6 or less

ATS 8 or more ( The lower your ats the deeper it goes.  The higher your ats you can get away with a little faster swing speed.)

Delay no less than 10

Volume/threshold to suit your hearing.

Rejection-adjust to your liking or with a piece of rusted nail.

11 minutes ago, The Seeker said:

On a side note the experts have spoken and looks like the consensus is that half of the settings on the AQ are just for show. If you want a smooth running AQ you need something like.

Sensitivity 6 or less

ATS 8 or more ( The lower your ats the deeper it goes.  The higher your ats you can get away with a little faster swing speed.)

Delay no less than 10

Volume/threshold to suit your hearing.

Rejection-adjust to your liking or with a piece of rusted nail.

I predict a lively debate over this post.  At least give me long enough to pop some corn and open a beer before you begin!  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I predict a lively debate over this post.  At least give me long enough to pop some corn and open a beer before you begin!  :biggrin:

X-2........I would like to know who the experts are.....

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don’t see why there would be need for a debate.  The experts who know how to properly use a pulse have wrote/voiced the proper way to run the AQ. I obviously wasn’t running it properly with the low settings available with the machine. I’m no expert so any tips/info I have received here I will be implementing out there and hope that I can get that much better at hunting with the AQ.

“Half the settings are just for show”......not correct.

Not all beach hunting involves wading in running salt water.

The range of adjustment of the controls, the all metal and 3 modes with iron reject - all these things are there to make the AQ adaptable to a wide range of localities and techniques.