Hodan Prospecting Picks

On 9/27/2020 at 6:47 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, I'm glad to hear that! :smile: I still have four of his picks; in fact I am putting a new handle on one today. #3,4,9, and 10 below are all Hodan picks.

steves-prospecting-picks.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place for this so apologies if it isn’t. Not retarded, just not all that savvy on forum stuff.

Concerning Hodan Picks.

Had one myself for years but unfortunately last year it was swiped and due to the obvious reasons, no replacement is available.
Gutted. The Hodan was the perfect pick for the GPX 6000 with the 11” coil. 😢
Approached pick manufacturers here in Australia and their eyes just glazed over when asked to do anything different to their normal design.
However, it would appear that was Gods way of making me wait for the right manufacturer.
Looks like Dan at Stumpy Picks (one of the best welders I have ever seen) is going to make me a Hodan recreation.
He is currently doing the research to make sure the materials are correct and will stand the test of time.
We discussed US based prospectors who might also want a new Hodan pick.
Dan could ship you guys the head only to save biggly on freight then you could fit a local purchased handle.

If anyone is interested Dans details are as follows:

https://stumpypicks.company.site/
stumpypicks@gmail.com

Hope this helps.

If someone could put this post where it actually should be I would be most appreciative.

Still using a Hodan pick to this day, featured in my Axiom instructional videos! I like a hoe end for digging loose tailing piles, but for long days of carrying the pick, and less soft digging, the Hodan fits the bill for me. Or any pick made like it. The secret is good steel - I can chop a rock in half with mine, and barely touch the steel.

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Still using a Hodan pick to this day, featured in my Axiom instructional videos! I like a hoe end for digging loose tailing piles, but for long days of carrying the pick, and less soft digging, the Hodan fits the bill for me. Or any pick made like it. The secret is good steel - I can chop a rock in half with mine, and barely touch the steel.

Steve, would you mind measuring your almost new Hodan pick’s head and posting the dimensions?

Preferably in millimetres and not bald eagles 🤪😉

3 hours ago, Gone Bush said:

Steve, would you mind measuring your almost new Hodan pick’s head and posting the dimensions?

Preferably in millimetres and not bald eagles 🤪😉

Mine is 300 mm long by 50 mm at its widest.  (That's about 12" x 2" in superior units.  😁)  Top opening for the handle is  25.4 mm X 32.6 mm (minor and major axes of an ~ellipse).

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I have # 3,4,7.9 and 10 plus a couple of other not on this list. Don't know why, can only use one at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 1:04 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Mine is 300 mm long by 50 mm at its widest.  (That's about 12" x 2" in superior units.  😁)  Top opening for the handle is  25.4 mm X 32.6 mm (minor and major axes of an ~ellipse).

Thank you! 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 10:54 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

So my Hodan recreation by Stumpy Picks arrived yesterday and it is almost too nice to use!
Quality of everything including the handle but especially the welding is the best I have ever seen.
Took it out today for a test run and broke an 8” quartz rock in two with not even a mark on the edge. 
See picture. My Keene pick is AR500 steel and this one is Hardox which looks like it will be more durable than the Keene.
Could not be happier.

Also bought the small stainless steel dolly pot. Another fantastic product with workmanship far beyond anything I have seen on prospecting tools before. Like jewellers tools. Just amazing.

Anyone who wants a Hodan style pick can now get one again!

Thanks to those who helped me with measurements and especially Dan at Stumpy Picks for going to the trouble of making these available again.

E599FC3E-891F-4AF7-9A06-6CD7D816DED2.jpeg

61AA224F-CE26-442D-9F2B-0577E03131ED.jpeg

4D540067-773B-4BA9-AEF1-CB168AC573B9.jpeg

72879FF9-66E0-4BF5-ADE6-E2DDEBEB4EB0.jpeg

OK, I'm not embarrassed to ask:  why is the point offset (side-to-side) / asymmetric?  (On my Hodan model it's centered.)  It seems that when that tip hits the ground, if the shaft isn't rotated just right, the pick will pivot, with assoicated loss of useable energy.