22" GPZ X Coil Concentric Results

Got out of the damp salt ground today and into some quiet ground where I could just listen to the coil.

This thing is surprisingly quiet for a large coil, in terms of EMI. The 6000 was screeching like a crazed weasel if I tipped it 20 degrees off flat, so I know EMI was around. Usually any large coil starts to get really unstable in EMI, but this one seems to do good, here at least. I was able to tip it up and detect angled wash banks without much issue.  If I just sat it on the ground not moving, it was pretty quiet, much quieter than the 6000. Much quieter than I remember my 18" mono on my 4500 being here too, but that was quite some time ago so maybe my memory is bad. 

That said, didn't find anything. Its been said before, but in general NNV is not a great place for deep coils, due to soil deflation. I think there are only a few places where they'd really pay off, and these are spots with known nuggets deeper than 18", and larger than 1 oz. Anything else, 15" CC or the 6000 are the way to go IMO - the 6000 just destroys the salt, I can detect so fast with it that I can cover more ground than I think I could cover with a drag coil honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave:

It arrived safely but was damaged by heavy handed Russian customs officials.

Haven't heard anything else-

On 10/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, jasong said:

Anyways - in my experience the CCs aren't quieting the soil down for me, but they aren't making it worse either. They definitely are quite a bit deeper. This 22CC + GPZ is by far the deepest setup I've ever run, and I am wondering if it's actually deeper than something like those Mothership drag coil setups people are considering. 

@jasong

I've given up on the concept of trying the Mothership drag coil setup, too many problems with coil control (Doc said it's a PITA around bushes/rocks) reduced sensitivity and depth. Now I'm looking for a 22" CC coil for better coverage, sensitivity and depth. I've heard, just last week, there are still big lunkers being found in NNV and it's time for me to find my first 1 oz+.:nugget:

Keep those reports coming.

Bill

2 hours ago, cobill said:

@jasong

I've given up on the concept of trying the Mothership drag coil setup, too many problems with coil control (Doc said it's a PITA around bushes/rocks) reduced sensitivity and depth. Now I'm looking for a 22" CC coil for better coverage, sensitivity and depth. I've heard, just last week, there are still big lunkers being found in NNV and it's time for me to find my first 1 oz+.:nugget:

Keep those reports coming.

Bill

In NNV just keep in mind what I've said. This 22CC is a large coil on the GPZ - both pieces of equipment are recipes for reduced depth in salt environments and difficult operation. PI's are more immune to salt, have more controls regarding salt, and may actually get better depth if the ground is damp.

On the other hand, if you are hunting crystalline gold, then the GPZ will almost always get better depth on that stuff in any soil, so it depends where you are using it here.

I'd go for the 22CC because you have the dream. But I would be prepared to have a ton of patience in NNV with it. I could use this thing all season in Arizona and have a lot of success. But honestly, there are only a small handful of places I am going to use it in NNV and most my detecting will be with the 6000 because it's so much more immune to salt and so, so much quicker to swing and cover more ground with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1