Found Big Brother Today

The weekend I had hoped would be pretty good, Decided to try a new cellar hole find which was a disaster. This place was so iron laden I thought it was EMI. My 800 really struggles in the harsh iron. not having a 6 inch which my buddy was using and he wasn't having any better luck. PLAN B lets hit a small 12 acre park with an old farm house that was razed about 10 years ago. Well now this place was just as bad except is was a mowed yard. After a few painful hours I said lets cross the street to an 1880's house that no one lives in but's well kept. My first decent signal was a wheatie (oh joy) couple of minutes later out comes a 1883 IH (getting better) 30 mintutes later and got a 22 on the 800 dug the hole full of nails and was ready to give up when my last handful of super dry dirt produced a 1910 barber dime. It took 6 hours of heat and iron to make the day end on a good note. The 800 was acting a little wonky and I wasn't to thrilled by its ability to hit a good target with a lot of nails. Today my buddy wanted to run out somewhere, So I said lets hit the 1880's house again. But today was going to be a little different, I was pulling the Compadre out and running it on near max disc. This little wonder never ceases to amaze me for being able to hit silver and eliminate the nails. Only had an hour so here it goes. 45 mins and the machine was running fine but no hits. Until I wondered over to where I found the dime. I got a hit 4 inches from where I dug the 1910, I was not expecting what I found, lots of nails 5 or 6 pieces to be exact. WTF I hit the hole again with the coil beep beep. The soil was so dry and crumbly that my next handful popped The big brother to the dime, A 1905 1/2 barber dollar my first barber 1/2. My only hit in an hour not bad. I'll put another silver notch on the Compadre.

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

I would call that a super cool find.  I wonder if the San Francisco Mint had issues a year later after the earthquake?  

Great stuff Doggo! I would love to find one Barber, let alone a San Francisco.

I do find lots of those organ reeds however. 😀 👍

Sadly this S mint is worth only a few bucks. I think the Philly mint is worth more. I was on a barber drought for a few years and have been doing well on them now. 

Dog that is some nice finds that you came up with.

Keep up the good work and good luck on your next hunt.

'dogodog', congratulations of both site selections as well as the resulting success.

And while I also have a few "up-line" models with modern adjustment features and visual and audio Target ID, I also have my two very proven and very trusted Tesoro's that serve me well.

Monte

21 hours ago, dogodog said:

Sadly this S mint is worth only a few bucks. I think the Philly mint is worth more. I was on a barber drought for a few years and have been doing well on them now. 

Oh so sorry.  We do not allow our key-date S mints to cross over the Mississippi.   😘

Love the fresh-reveal pix posing on the machine !

Story of my life Tom, Always a day late and and S mint mark short !!!!!!

• The title was changed to Found Big Brother Today