Slow Start To The Year But Things Are Improving

Compass

Last year was my best ever for the amount of nice jewelry I recovered but this year was shaping up to be one of my worst. Granted, I wasn't detecting as aggressively due to other commitments and conditions didn't seem to be as good as last year but I went from 60 to 0 just like that! However, a couple of summer finds lifted my spirits and filled me with optimism for the fall and winter seasons. 

The gold chain and cross was a shocking find in more than one way. It was found in the darkness of night and my hopes were dashed when I turned on my headlamp because in the artificial light it had a cheap stainless steel look to it. I drove home thinking that the hunt was a bust until I emptied my finds pouch and was stunned by the radiance of big gold amongst the rusted iron and corroded zinc pennies. This hobby never ceases to surprise me. GL&HH!

IMG_20210820_064520.jpg

IMG_20210820_073704.jpg

IMG_20210823_090615 (2).jpg

IMG_20210904_123555 (1).jpg

IMG_20210908_095836__01.jpg

Great finds!

Is the Tiffany & Co. ring made out of white gold, sterling silver or platinum?

On a possibly related note: what does a platinum ring come up as for most detectors? Same as a silver coin or quarter?

Looks good to me there Compass. That Gerber Ghostrike push knife probably needs a scabbard 😀 finding anything is better than nothing. 👍 

8 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Great finds!

Is the Tiffany & Co. ring made out of white gold, sterling silver or platinum?

On a possibly related note: what does a platinum ring come up as for most detectors? Same as a silver coin or quarter?

Thanks! The Tiffany ring is silver and the 2nd one that I have found of the same design. It was cool because I was pretty sure by the shape it was a Tiffany even in the dark when I found it. I mostly use my pulse detectors at the beach so I don't know what numbers platinum will come up as. Maybe someone here will answer your question - not even sure but guessing platinum is a "low" conductor?

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Looks good to me there Compass. That Gerber Ghostrike push knife probably needs a scabbard 😀 finding anything is better than nothing. 👍 

Thank you 350Plat. Had no idea what kind of knife it was  but you are exactly right on the ID. Cost about $40 with a sheath.

6 minutes ago, Compass said:

Maybe someone here will answer your question - not even sure but guessing platinum is a "low" conductor?

Unlike pure gold, pure platinum is a relatively strong metal. So it doesn't need to be "diluted" as much as gold to create an alloy suitable for jewelry. Often, platinum in jewelery will be 95% pure. Oh, and platinum is highly conductive...maybe moreso than gold...I think. It's at least in the same ballpark.

55 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Unlike pure gold, pure platinum is a relatively strong metal. So it doesn't need to be "diluted" as much as gold to create an alloy suitable for jewelry. Often, platinum in jewelery will be 95% pure. Oh, and platinum is highly conductive...maybe moreso than gold...I think. It's at least in the same ballpark.

In the world of metal detectors I believe that gold jewelry are considered "low" conductors relative to the better conductors - silver and copper. I believe that I remember this from school as well. A lot of people think that gold is a superior conductor  but its desirability in electronics use is largely due to its decent conductivity and superior corrosion resistance which is why it is prized in marine environments.

29 minutes ago, Slimpickuns said:

Excellent quality finds there George! Congrats on the summer treasure, hopefully we'll be blessed soon with some fall/winter erosion.

Thanks Dave! Seems like our local beaches are overdue for the epic winter storms that we get every few years or so. Now that I am retired I am ready for them!