Happy Thanksgiving

Yeah, I know, posting off topic! One of the perks I guess that come with running the place. I can break the rules and not get shown the door. :smile:

It’s early morning, I have my coffee, and am in a contemplative mood. Tomorrow a lot of us will be celebrating the U.S. holiday of Thanksgiving, many with family and friends, and some of us alone. Like many things I feel holidays of all sorts have been watered down by our busy lives, and the commercialization of everything. When I was young holidays were more real, all businesses except essentials closed, and the country did for a moment pause, and recognize the day. I am gratified to see Target stores announce that, going forward, they will be closed on Thanksgiving. I hope it starts a trend with other businesses.

Giving thanks has special meaning for me. I’ve lead a blessed life, with good fortune heaped upon me. Yet like everyone I have suffered my share of pain, death, and despair. None of us live this life unscarred. A decade ago I was well on my way to killing myself with alcohol. Rehab, counseling, and very hard work on my part brought me back from the brink. I can say more than most that I was reborn, my life started anew, when I finally found the strength to stop drinking.

People who are on the path I was on often reach a state of despair, of no hope for the future. Everything is bleak, and there seems finally to be no reason to live anymore. One of the greatest tools I was given in rehab was my practice of gratitude. Every day, we were asked to write down just one thing in our life we were thankful for. At the time that was hard, and more an exercise of going through the motions to keep the counselors happy.

Now, practicing gratitude daily has become a core part of my spiritual practice. I tend to my body and soul like the gifts they are, and gratitude is the water I use to nourish them. I try every day to take a moment to give thanks for simply drawing breath another day, for seeing the sun rise, for being with my wife and my pups another day. There are people yesterday who made plans for today, and who are now gone, those plans snatched away, their lives at an end. We take so much for granted, we plan for tomorrow and next year, yet the truth is any one of us could leave this earth today. Truly understanding this, knowing how fragile life really is, is a core part of being grateful. Having life itself is not enough though, as many of us struggle to simply survive each day. A measure of contentment to go with life goes lacking for too many.

I am supremely grateful, and give thanks, for all the blessings conferred upon me in my life. Family, good friends, good cheer, things that engage my mind, that bring me peace and happiness. I hope you all, no matter who you are, or whether you live in a country where tomorrow is just another day, have a measure of gratitude for things in your lives. Things that make you happy, fulfilled, content, at peace.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve Herschbach

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2021/11/gratitude-thanksgiving/620799/

62D72779-BDC9-4869-8D8B-17A9F7C14714.jpeg

Well spoken Steve, Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Hey Steve,

Well said.  Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving.  I will leave you with one of my favorite bible verses - 

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! ... Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

Thank you so much Steve and all the people on this forum that makes life more enjoyable when I go out and do some swinging.

There has always been good friends to share my happiness with on here and to be given much needed advice, that I can only say thank you so much for all that you do.

May peace be with you and your families during this time of Thanksgiving and throughout the New Year.

Steve, I could not agree with you more... I have learned not to take life for granted too.... After losing a few very close friends and my folks over a period of few years.... Life is precious.... Every day is gift from God, Even the bad days!!!!!  I wish you all a VERY HAPPY AND GRATEFUL THANKSGIVING!!!!!

Michael