** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

5 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Heat exhaustion is no joke ... good thing he collapsed when he did because heat stroke is the next step and that far up the mountain could prove fatal!

Absolutely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dig4gold said:

You are on a roll with this story now. 

D4G

Funny you mention that. Yesterday I was shocked to see the journal had 2000 views. That is 2nd highest ever. The top was 2900 views in a day back in season one. For perspective, it's had 300 so far today. Not sure why the views were so high yesterday.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, snakejim said:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges! I don't have to show you no stinking badges!"

Watch the movie! It's my favorite! Jim

Mine also. I have the DVD.

• Like 3

Oh yeah ? I HAVE  a stinkin' badge !

Me crew made it for me the day I decided I was gonna give 'em out for their confirming stories of "Ain't Rightness". 

Soon after the stories started getting posted .... great fun  arrrrrrrrrrr ! 

After the first suggestion of them , my first post was "We don't need no stinkin' badges ! " But then relented as we are YARC  and everything we do "Ain't Right" , so of course We MUST HAVE THEM ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh 

Here it is !    TWO  YARC STINKIN' BADGE 

The TWO is my "Official Title" The Weirdo Overlord !

They wanted to call me the Grand Poobah ! but I rejected it as sounding too much like a dirty diaper and created it myself ! .... It was  "Ain't Right" enough to be right ! right ?

(the holes on the points are "bullet holes", each given out for new "Deeds of Ain't Rightness" ... so I got the maximum dose !)

The club prayer...I'"Ain't Right" but I can change .

I don't think so , NO WAY !

'er sumpin' like that....

IMG_20231214_190845.jpg

• Like 1

August 8   2002     Part Three

After supper we were sitting around camp and listening to Jacob give a long lecture to Conor. He was warning him about not only working in the heat but also about the dangers of gold fever. Jacob told him it could get him killed or maybe even one or all of us. Evidently Jacob had witnessed what Bill and I had watched up close. Conor had become a crazed lunatic when he got to the dig site. I’d seen gold fever before but this was on another level. Jacob was attempting to talk some sense into him.

Conor had come around pretty well by dark and had gotten some food and hydration into his body. The heat never seemed to bother Jacob for some reason. We were sitting there in camp with a couple of lanterns for light and drinking some cold beers. We didn’t bother to build a fire and the temperature was not cooling as much as it usually did after sunset. Suddenly we heard some kind of ruckus and growling off in the dark. I shined a flashlight over in the area of the disturbance and caught a quick glimpse of a mountain lion. It had something in its jaws and was scampering back up the mountain. Jacob had his flashlight on it for a few seconds as well. He said it had caught a jackrabbit. 

Conor cracked open a cold beer and started going on about how rich we all were going to be when we got into the Hidden Mine. He still had gold on his mind and said he was anxious to get back up to the dig site. I was wondering to myself if he was going to be a problem.

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

August 9   2002     Part One     Loose Cannon

The temperature had not cooled overnight as much as we hoped and we all knew it was going to be a real hot one today. We got up to the Hidden Mine right around 9:00 AM. Everyone was ready to work. We took up the same positions and resumed the work of moving that massive slide that kept us from the supposed big gold treasure. All of a sudden I heard a loud clang and turned in Conor’s direction. He had thrown down his shovel and was half running half sliding down the hill. I hollered out to him but he didn’t answer. He had now pulled his 45 and had it pointing to the west. Then he started hollering at someone to stop or he would shoot them. There were two hikers out there. A man and a woman and Conor had them at gunpoint.

I yelled as loud as I could for him to put the gun away. So did Bill. Jacob hadn’t seen the two hikers and was walking in that direction to see what all the hubbub was about. The hikers had their hands up and looked terrified. It was obvious to Bill and I that they were just innocent hikers out for some morning sightseeing and exercise before the heat of the day. 

Conor was hollering at them and telling them they were trespassers and claim jumpers. He told them they weren’t going to get any gold from us and they’d better move on or else. All I could think of was oh no, this is bad. He was not listening to Bill or me but when Jacob came over he put the gun back in his holster. I tried my best to de-escalate the situation and told the hikers we had been having trouble with robbers and it was all a big mistake. Luckily they calmed down and seemed to believe me and moved on. Then I turned to Conor. I was mad as hell. I told him he had no business pulling a gun on people without a good reason and I'd had it with him. Jacob tried to take his side and said he was just trying to protect the crew. I told Jacob that he was a loose canon. He didn’t like that and walked back off to the bottom of the hill. Bill just shook his head and headed back to work. That left Conor and me standing there face to face. He said he didn’t like being talked to like that and I’d better watch my mouth. I thought to myself that these are my mining claims and who does this smart ass think he is to come out here and give me grief. I told him he was on shaky ground with me and he’d better get back to work. Conor gave me a dirty look and went back to digging. Then something occurred to me that I hadn’t thought about. I was out here in the middle of nowhere with three people who had no names on my claims and maybe nothing to lose. What would happen to me if we found the big gold strike? I didn’t know Bill at all really. He seems like an ok guy but who knows for sure? It was also obvious that Jacob would probably side with Connor seeing as they were related. I never said anything to Jacob but when he invited Conor out here he should have discussed it with me first. It now seemed like I might be the odd man out if push came to shove. All of a sudden I had an uneasy feeling. 

TO BE CONTINUED .............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 5