Heart Breaking Find And A Little Silver

Saturday I was able to finally get out and use my 800 for a little while.

I headed out to a nearby park that has been hunted to death by the locals over the past few decades.

I mainly went just to get out of the house because of it being a beautiful day and I had been wanting to go for so long.

I knew that I would only have a few minutes to detect as I had to take care of my grandmother and cook her dinner.

As I had gotten out of my car there were 2 others with their metal detectors on one end of the park.

As I was setting up the detector one of them came over to see what I was using. He had never seen a 800 and asked me several questions about it.

I told him all that I could about it which was very little because I am just a newbie with them. He wished me luck and I proceeded to get with it.

My first 2 targets were of course bottle caps, but I did not give up as I was still having fun out there.

I decided to hit up a old tree and got my first good signal, as I started digging the guy came back over again.

I had dug down almost 8 inches before the pin pointer caught the signal so I dug down another 3 inches.

To my surprise out came a 1957 dime. I decided to recheck the area to make sure I wouldn't miss anything, and sure enough there was another target.

That target was about 4 inches to the right of the first hole and not as deep, only about 7 inches deep.

The coin was covered in a lot of mud and was a 1967 penny.

The guy that came over could not believe how deep those coins were as he said they had covered those same areas earlier.

I looked at my watch and noticed that I had to get home, or granny would be unhappy. I was there for a total of 30 minutes, but had some fun.

While I was walking back to the car I got another signal that was to good to pass up and had to stop to dig it.

This time both people came over rather quickly to see what I had found. As I'm digging the mud was really bad and thick.

Each time I would have to scrape off my digging tool or I would be putting it back into the hole.

I was down almost 4 inches when it came into sight covered in mud, and one of the guys let out a yell "it's a ring"

Yes it was a ring with several stones on it, and quite heavy in weight.

They were more happy than I was it seemed as they were jumping up and down.

As I poured some water over it I realized that it was a cheap ring, pretty but cheap, one that you might buy a child.

Anyway I had found my first ring and I was happy.

I must say that for just the 30 minutes that I had spent out there it was still very nice to be there.

Hope to be able to go again soon.

I was using the 800 with all factory settings on Park 1, the sensitivity at 20, and using the CoilTech 10X5 coil.

3-6-22.png

So the heartbreaker was that ring wasn't valuable?  They can't all be gold.

I'd say that was a heckuva 30 minute hunt VL! 👍 Ya still have one more silver Rosie than I've ever dug, and you dug it deep. Pretty much confirms my belief that if there is any silver at my sites the 10x5 will find it. That little silver ring I got last week was deep and among iron. 😁 Had to use my VLF discriminating pinpointer to locate it.

Are you sure there's no hallmarks on that ring? Reason I ask is it's awfully complex for just a kid's ring. Clean out the inside and use a flashlight if you have to. Regardless, congrats. 🙂

Did you run sensitivity lower due to EMI? 

To me that was no heartbreaker V.L! I hunted for a year before I found silver. In fact, I had given up on silver and started hunting gold. I didn't find gold but I did find silver! It's a rush (and a milestone) either way!

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Are you sure there's no hallmarks on that ring? Reason I ask is it's awfully complex for just a kid's ring.

There was no markings on it, and I could see some rust on it. There was plating that was starting to come off it also and the stones were just cut glass.

I was running the sense at a lower setting because I had power lines about 75 feet away and didn't want the noise from it.

Thanks

2 hours ago, BMc said:

I hunted for a year before I found silver. In fact, I had given up on silver and started hunting gold.

With the Nox I have no problem finding silver when it's around, I can almost always get a dime when I get out there.

I have not yet found any half dollars and I believe that I will soon.

I can always find pull tabs, bottle caps, can slaw, but when will I find the good stuff.

10 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

They can't all be gold.

Why not?

1 minute ago, Valens Legacy said:

With the Nox I have no problem finding silver when it's around, I can almost always get a dime when I get out there.

I have not yet found any half dollars and I believe that I will soon.

I can always find pull tabs, bottle caps, can slaw, but when will I find the good stuff.

Not sure what you're calling the good stuff, (half dollar?) but you will find it when you put a coil over it! Don't worry, It will come in due time. Karma will see to it as long as you don't stop taking care of your Grandma and Grandpa!

2 hours ago, BMc said:

Karma will see to it as long as you don't stop taking care of your Grandma and Grandpa!

I know that someday I will be finding a lot more with the detector in the future, because the more you use it the better you get. That's what grandfather told me, but I don't know if he was talking about detectors at the time.

Grandfather passed away and I have had to step up to take care of things for him, and that includes taking care of grandmother. She is getting worse and I believe that soon she will be going into a nursing home. Even at my younger age there are some things that I can't do for her. She really needs better care than what I can do for her, but until the time comes I will do my best to care for her.